Canadian PR looking for US residency on J1 visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ranjit_buttar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I recently came to Canada from India as a Permanent Resident and wish to go for US residency.
One thing that just got clear to me that I dont need to take MCEE in order to get statement of need from health Canada. Also, Ontario considers USMLE(step1 + step2 + step3) equivalent to MCQE...

I have a q: Can I apply for J1 visa from India? This way even if I dont return to India from US (which I wont be), Canada will be open for me. This way I will have US residency without any Canadian restrictions. Its hard to get J1 waiver from Canada and impossible to get Canadian doors shut for me.
Should I apply J1 from Canada? Also, I will look for externships in US now. For that I need B1 visa. If I apply B1 visa from Canada, will it jeopardize my chances to get J1 from India as my recent resident country will be in embassy records.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I recently came to Canada from India as a Permanent Resident and wish to go for US residency.
One thing that just got clear to me that I dont need to take MCEE in order to get statement of need from health Canada. Also, Ontario considers USMLE(step1 + step2 + step3) equivalent to MCQE...

I have a q: Can I apply for J1 visa from India? This way even if I dont return to India from US (which I wont be), Canada will be open for me. This way I will have US residency without any Canadian restrictions. Its hard to get J1 waiver from Canada and impossible to get Canadian doors shut for me.
Should I apply J1 from Canada? Also, I will look for externships in US now. For that I need B1 visa. If I apply B1 visa from Canada, will it jeopardize my chances to get J1 from India as my recent resident country will be in embassy records.

You do not have to take MCEE if you want to apply to Ontario schools or if you apply to statement of need from ontario. *

It is MUCH MUCH easier to apply to J1 visa from Canada. I did not know where you heard that its hard to get J1 waiver from the US if you were from Canada. From what I heard its easy to get a waiver, since there are lots of needs for physicians in the US in an underserved area. I am applying for family medicine and the opportunities right out of residency are actually amazing in Ontario. You can get a starting salary of 200K in some places in Ontario, which are higher than some places in the US. So even if you do not get a J1 waiver from the US you be fine financially coming back to Ontario.

* I am an AMG who is considered a CMG in all intent and purposes.

Last edited:
Hi

there are still soooooo many misunderstandings about waivers, J1, and statement of need from canada.
"This way I will have US residency without any Canadian restriction." What restrictions do you imagine you have?
"Should I apply J1 from Canada?" Surely you contacted the EVSP/ECFMG about this? Surely you read US law about truthfully demonstrating your Legal Permanent Residence (LPR)?
"If I apply B1 visa from Canada, will it jeopardize my chances to get J1..." Surely you contacted the EVSP/ECFMG about this?
"Ontario considers USMLE(step1 + step2 + step3) equivalent to MCQE..." Surely you communicated with the CPSO about this 'equivalence'? You know it's not an 'equivalence', right?

Members don't see this ad :)
You could cause problems for yourself as you are not Canadian and not a Canadian citizen.
The idea of being a PR is exactly that being a PERMANENT resident which means living and working in Canada. Now it takes at least 4 years to become a citizen so if you're living and working in the US I don't know how you can honestly say you have been living in Canada for 4 years. Now with Canada-US Government data sharing they know exactly how many days you come and go and live in each country. The Government of Canada is not gullible and easily manipulated as it used to be and is cracking down and revoking PR from people who do not live in Canada for certain number of days. By getting a US J-1 visa as a citizen of India you are stating to US authorities that you intend to return to India for 2 years.
As a Canadian PR you do not qualify for a statement of need for a J-1 as it's only open to Canadian citizens so that path is closed to you.
You are still an IMG so you have to take the LMCC exams if you want to work in Canada.
Remember to be honest because you could potentially cause a lot of problems for your self if you try and deceive Government authorities as they have access to all sorts of data on people now.

I believe my original post was about which way should I go. There should be one way defined for IMGs who are Canadian PR. Please dont jump to conclusion apparently without even reading my post.
I do not see anywhere written about my situation, so came here to get help.
Did I say anywhere I am going to tell them that I lived 4 years in Canada or I am applying for citizenship? I am asking from where should I apply for J1 visa? Can I apply from any country ? Again, my query is: I AM AN IMG LIVING IN CANADA AS PERMANENT RESIDENT AND INTEND TO DO RESIDENCY IN US. SHOULD I APPLY J1 VISA FROM CANADA OR INDIA OR FROM ANY COUNTRY. THIS IS BY ALL MEANS LEGAL, if that capital case helps you.

The previous post answered your question. It would appear you can only apply from India as you are not a canadian citizen.

I believe my original post was about which way should I go. There should be one way defined for IMGs who are Canadian PR. Please dont jump to conclusion apparently without even reading my post.
I do not see anywhere written about my situation, so came here to get help.
Did I say anywhere I am going to tell them that I lived 4 years in Canada or I am applying for citizenship? I am asking from where should I apply for J1 visa? Can I apply from any country ? Again, my query is: I AM AN IMG LIVING IN CANADA AS PERMANENT RESIDENT AND INTEND TO DO RESIDENCY IN US. SHOULD I APPLY J1 VISA FROM CANADA OR INDIA OR FROM ANY COUNTRY. THIS IS BY ALL MEANS LEGAL, if that capital case helps you.

The rule is you must apply for your J-1 Visa with a letter from your home country.

According to the Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program (ECFMG), the home country is your most recent country of residence (LPR = Legal Permanent Residence). If you possess a Permanent Resident Card for Canada, then Canada is your LPR.
The ECFMG expects you to get your home country letter from Canada. You ARE eligible to get a letter from Canada. Both Canadian citizens and permanent residents can apply for a letter of need from Canada.

Reactions: 1 user
hey hii.. even m in a similar situation. my whole family is in canada. n i wan to do us residency.. what did u choose finally.. did u apply for j1 visa