Canadian MSc PT versus US Doctor of PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ho hoho

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The US also offers masters programs, it's usually the private schools that offer DPT programs.

I can't speak from experience as I haven't graduated yet, but all the PTs that I've talked to have said the only difference in a MPT and DPT is $50,000-$75000 spent on tuition. Most master's programs in the US have similar curriculum as DPT programs, but cannot offer a DPT yet. As a MPT, I will take the same licenseing and go to the same clinicals as someone in a DPT program. The only difference is that you have the "Doctor" title (I have yet to meet a PT that isn't on a first name basis with his/her patients and employees).

There are also online or in-house programs that offer DPT to those with MPTs that you can do while you work.

Like I said...I can;t speak from experience, just from what I've heard from different PTs.

In Canada, the Physical Therapy program is a graduate Master's program. So you graduate with a Masters of Science in PT. In the US, it's a Doctrate degree. I've been told that Canadian PTs don't have trouble finding jobs in the US because they have pretty much the same degree. Is this absolutely true?? There is afterall a significant difference between having a Masters and a Doctrate. Would this mean that a Canadian PT will be given a lower salary? Would the job opportunities be equal for both degrees?

The DPT in the US is in no way superior to the MScPT in Canada. The Masters in Canada is actually 3 years squeezed into 2 years because we dont get the summers off. I would not recommend anyone from Canada to go over to get a DPT in the states unless they cannot get into a Canadian school because it will cost them a lot more money 16,000 VS 100,000k in loans and you may not be as prepared to pass the PNE once you try to come back to work in Canada. Also in Canada PTs have complete and total direct access in the states there are still struggles with this.

Members don't see this ad :)
DPT goes 3 years with summers. And from what I hear, it's A TON different. But I really dont have enough knowledge to argue so I will let someone else handle it unless I've heard wrong.

Perhaps I can help you with this since I'm Canadian and a lot of the content and the people replying are American.

I'm a recent OT grad, I did the MSc. OT and from the colleges standpoint for OTs and Im sure this is similar for PTs, there is no recognition of the DPT or OTD degrees just yet. The chair of the U of T OT and PT programs have expressed interest in launching a doctorate program but not in the near future. I know this because we have a discussion about it in the department. I do not believe this is written down anywhere for you to find but it came from the chair. The transition to the masters level is a new one in Canada so give it some time. In terms of pay, it will not make a difference practicing here, but it may give you a leg up if you have clinical experience and want to go into academia with a DPT. Ask around and contact the College of PTs to see what their stance is on the issue. We had someone ask that exact question when I was graduating last fall. I hope that helps and provides you with some insight as to where to look.

I'm in the middle of researching PT schools, I have a few questions. Does anyone know how it works for a US citizen to study in Canada? Is there difficulty getting into the PT schools? Is one able to then easily become a certified and practice PT in the US?

Thanks for the help.

I'm in the middle of researching PT schools, I have a few questions. Does anyone know how it works for a US citizen to study in Canada? Is there difficulty getting into the PT schools? Is one able to then easily become a certified and practice PT in the US?

Thanks for the help.

Good questions, I'm not sure what the procedure is for Canadien students practiseing in the U.S.. It would depend on whether or not you are eligible to sit for the licensure exam in the U.S.