Canadian License and doing OMFS in the states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistBunaHay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian student and I am taking the Canadian boards to get my dental license. I am going to be doing OMFS in the states, is it advisable for me to take the american boards like NERBs or WREBs?

Regardless of the NERBs or WREBs, I will not be able to moonlight during residency because the hospital where I will do my OMFS residency only issues J1 visas, thus I won't be able to do any moonlighting.

Is there any point for me to take NERBs or WREBs or is the Canadian license good enough for residency?

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

The real question is whether or not you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. If you are a citizen then NAFTA is on you side.

read below and check out the wedsite http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1274.html#2 for more info

Overview
NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement. It creates special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada and Mexico. The nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals to work in the United States. Permanent residents, including Canadian permanent residents, are not able to apply to work as a NAFTA professional.
How Can Professionals from Mexico and Canada Work in the United States?
Professionals of Canada or Mexico may work in the U.S. under the following conditions:
  • Applicant is a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
  • Profession is on the NAFTA list;
  • Position in the U.S. requires a NAFTA professional;
  • Mexican or Canadian applicant is to work in a prearranged full-time or part-time job, for a U.S. employer (see documentation required). Self employment is not permitted;
  • Professional Canadian or Mexican citizen has the qualifications of the profession
The requirements for applying for citizens of Canada and Mexico, shown below, are different.

Requirements for Canadian Citizens
Canadian citizens usually do not need a visa as a NAFTA Professional, although a visa can be issued to qualified TN visa applicants upon request. However, a Canadian residing in another country with a non-Canadian spouse and children would need a visa to enable the spouse and children to be able to apply for a visa to accompany or join the NAFTA Professional, as a TD visa holder. To apply for visa, please see the requirements under the section Mexican Citizens - Applying for a TN Visa - Required Documentation.
A Canadian citizen without a TN visa can apply at a U.S. port of entry with all of the following:
  • Request for admission under TN status to Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection, U.S. immigration officer;
  • Employment Letter - Evidence of professional employment. See Employment Letter below;
  • Proof of professional qualifications, such as transcripts of grades, licenses, certificates, degrees, and/or records of previous employment;
  • Proof of ability to meet applicable license requirements;
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship- Canadian citizens may present a passport, as visas are not required, or they may provide secondary evidence, such as a birth certificate. However, Canadian citizens traveling to the United States from outside the Western Hemisphere are required to present a valid passport at the port-of-entry;
  • Fee of U.S. $50

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the answer but that doesn't really answer my question. I was asking if there will be any benefit for me to take the NERBs or the WREBs if I am planning to go back to Canada after OMFS residency in the states. Will my Canadian dental license be good enough to be a resident in the states or do I have to have an American license.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have any info??

The BEST way to get a correct answer is to call and ask the programs you are interested in.

You will likely be required to have a US license if you want to practice/moonlight. A Canadian license doesn't mean much to the state you are going to be practicing in. Otherwise, you are typically covered under the program's license, but unable to work/moonlight outside of the program. This is an institutional license or a permit granted to dental residents that are practicing in residency under the direct supervision of an attending.

The other caveat is that some programs will only accept US dental grads, so be sure to check into this as you are applying.

Reactions: 1 user
I know Canadians who have done ortho and perio in the states and all they had to get was a resident license to practice in the school's clinic. No WREB or NERB. But they also didn't moonlight.
If you want to moonlight at private offices I am pretty sure (although not positive) that you will need a licensing exam, unless you have done a GPR and are in a state where you can get licensed via that. For example NY, MN, CT,

You should be OK with a resident's license , if you are not planning on Moonlighting ( If you are a canadian citizen you don't have to worry about J1 , NAFTA will suffice )
Call the program and they will guide you the best
Good Luck

I am a Canadian student and I am taking the Canadian boards to get my dental license. I am going to be doing OMFS in the states, is it advisable for me to take the american boards like NERBs or WREBs?

Regardless of the NERBs or WREBs, I will not be able to moonlight during residency because the hospital where I will do my OMFS residency only issues J1 visas, thus I won't be able to do any moonlighting.

Is there any point for me to take NERBs or WREBs or is the Canadian license good enough for residency?

Thanks for any input.
did you ever get into an American OMFS residency (or internship) program?