Canadian lawsuit lol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My question is what would you do for this patient for a lap chole if she also refuses volatile. Excluding the option to refuse to anaesthetise her... How would you maintain her?
Epidural?

Members don't see this ad.

Epidural?
Yeah sticking a needle in the spine of a lunatic and keeping her awake during surgery is gonna work out greeeaaaat ...

:)

Midazolam is a great induction drug, if you don't mind admitting the patient overnight. Maybe remimazolam will show up someday.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2011-01-27_17-52-34_174.jpg
2011-01-27_17-52-48_450.jpg

This is an allergy list from a patient in a case that I took over from a CRNA in residency CA1 year. It is one of the most ridiculous I've seen (not the longest or craziest, but ridiculous). I try to clean up allergy lists when I can, but sometimes, I don't feel like fighting. I had a patient swear she was allergic to epinephrine because her heart raced; she was very mad at me when I said that's not an allergy.

Reactions: 3 users
My question is what would you do for this patient for a lap chole if she also refuses volatile. Excluding the option to refuse to anaesthetise her... How would you maintain her?
Epidural
Yeah sticking a needle in the spine of a lunatic and keeping her awake during surgery is gonna work out greeeaaaat ...

Midazolam is a great induction drug, if you don't mind admitting the patient overnight. Maybe remimazolam will show up someday.
I'm not anesthesia lol but thought I'd take a crack at it since I read these forums. I know neuraxil has been done for abdominal surgeries before.

Given its short half life, why does one need to be kept overnight if getting a versed drip?

Epidural

I'm not anesthesia lol but thought I'd take a crack at it since I read these forums. I know neuraxil has been done for abdominal surgeries before.
Spinals are done routinely in many parts of the world for intra abdominal procedures because it's a $1 anesthetic and the patients are motivated/stoic. Not really a great patient experience in many cases though.

Given its short half life, why does one need to be kept overnight if getting a versed drip?
Dosing and context sensitive half life are the issue, as is the fact that patient response to benzos is quite variable. 2 mg of midazolam given for anxiolysis won't be an issue. 15 mg as an induction dose is going to zonk a lot of people for hours and hours. Some will have a full day memory hole. Can be hard to discharge those people.

High dose benzos are a wonderfully smooth inductions, but they come with some baggage.

Reactions: 1 users
View attachment 380790View attachment 380791
This is an allergy list from a patient in a case that I took over from a CRNA in residency CA1 year. It is one of the most ridiculous I've seen (not the longest or craziest, but ridiculous). I try to clean up allergy lists when I can, but sometimes, I don't feel like fighting. I had a patient swear she was allergic to epinephrine because her heart raced; she was very mad at me when I said that's not an allergy.

I had a patient who brought a sheet like that. One of the entries was “all Eli Lilly drugs”.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Spinals are done routinely in many parts of the world for intra abdominal procedures because it's a $1 anesthetic and the patients are motivated/stoic. Not really a great patient experience in many cases though.

Dosing and context sensitive half life are the issue, as is the fact that patient response to benzos is quite variable. 2 mg of midazolam given for anxiolysis won't be an issue. 15 mg as an induction dose is going to zonk a lot of people for hours and hours. Some will have a full day memory hole. Can be hard to discharge those people.

High dose benzos are a wonderfully smooth inductions, but they come with some baggage.

Bag o anesthesia
Bunch of midaz fent prop and roc and let it drip in

Pacu nurses will hate you
Do just that every once in a month or so. Thing is, once we let the pacu nurses know "this may look a bit funky, but it's due to the drugs we had to use", they're pretty compliant. Patients, too, for that matter.I mean, for a normal ketamine induction, I rarely give more than 2.5 of midaz to smooth things over.

And it should've been what the idiots in Canada had done. Or even thio, which as far as I know is very much available in Canada, eh?