Canadian in TX (cGPA 3.97, sGPA 3.98, 521 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

famouspotato

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a Canadian citizen/non-US resident, however I am attending college/university in the States. I've already heard that it is much harder for international students to get into US medical schools, based purely on the stats I've seen in the MSAR and their number of internationals accepted/applied ratios (a horrifying 1-2/800 at many).

Would you guys be willing to give me any advice on finding (or whether there are) US medical schools that are friendlier to Canadian applicants, or international applicants in general? I've also heard of some schools that consider Canadian applicants as almost the same as domestic applicants. Or is this a myth just to help us Canadian international applicants sleep better?

A quick list of stats:
3.97 cGPA/3.98 sGPA/521 MCAT (131/130/130/130) (As in thread title)
2 yrs+ Research, with pub under revision/coming soon
1.5 yr Research mentor
~100 hrs Community service with underprivileged (leadership role)
~75 hrs Shadowing (Clinic/OR)
~50 hrs Health related community service (weak, I know I should work on this)

Here is a list of schools that I am looking into:

In the US:
Baylor
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Johns Hopkins
Mayo
University of TX in Houston
University of TX at Austin Dell
Columbia
Case Western
Chicago MS at Rosalind Franklin
Boston University
Oakland

In Canada:
University of Alberta
McGill
University of Toronto
Dalhousie
University of British Columbia
McMaster
Queens

*Note: I am aware that I haven't differentiated them into "Reach" and "Safety" schools, because I am not entirely sure whether there is a such thing as a "Safety" school for international applicants.

Thank you all very much! I would appreciate any sort of advice! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: