Canadian IM --> US Heme-Onc Fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ouro

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to get a better idea of the difficulty of matching to a US Heme-Onc fellowship following a Canadian IM residency (top program)?
I'm interested in doing both Heme and Onc, and there are no combined programs in Canada so I'm considering the option of doing a 3y Heme-Onc fellowship in the US after a Canadian IM residency (still a med student currently but residency apps are coming up soon for me).

My impression is that US programs generally places a stronger emphasis on research/academics compared to Canadian programs, and I have a fairly strong track record of publications and presentations @ national/intl conferences, so I'm hoping that might get me some second looks (esp. at the big academic centers, which is where I would like to go ideally).

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not do residency in the US too? That will give you a much better chance of matching Hem/Onc in the US.

But yes, you'll probably be able to land yourself a fellowship in the US after a Canadian IM residency.