Canadian FRCPC (Anaesthesia)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted95116

I intend to take the Canadian FRCPC exam in Anaesthesia. Can someone advise me the books/courses followed for this exams in canada please.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Englishgasman said:
I intend to take the Canadian FRCPC exam in Anaesthesia. Can someone advise me the books/courses followed for this exams in canada please.
Thank you

I don't believe there is any set text or course to prepare for any of the royal college exams. Canadian residents write them at the completion of their training. They are grueling exams and a lot of preparation is needed. Go to the Royal College website for the specific objectives of the anesthesia exam.

http://rcpsc.medical.org

Also I don't know if you're physically in Canada right now but you should consider speaking with the local anesthesia programs and their chief residents.
The board exams in Canada typically rely on lots of old questions which every single years class dutifully remembers then regurgitates onto paper so that the incoming years can benefit. Not that I would ever do that :)
If you can get your hands on that absolutely key stuff you'll have an idea how it compares to your own training and knowledge.
As you can imagine this is frowned on by the Royal College so use your discretion.
Also they will be studying and doing questions for the exam and will have organized study groups and would love to have some attending help for some of the questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
this prompted me to ask a question related to this. I would like to know if you wrote the MCCEE and LMCCs or were your USMLEs recognized after you complete the anesthesia residency in the US?
Thanks.

Do you requre the exam for a job in Canada? I would guess that due to the anesthesia shortage here in Canada that that require might be waved depending on where you recieved your training.

tussy said:
Do you requre the exam for a job in Canada? I would guess that due to the anesthesia shortage here in Canada that that require might be waved depending on where you recieved your training.

Yes I require the Royal college exam for getting a job in Canada. I am training in UK but still I have to pass the FRCPC exam

Kakoshi said:
Also I don't know if you're physically in Canada right now but you should consider speaking with the local anesthesia programs and their chief residents.
The board exams in Canada typically rely on lots of old questions which every single years class dutifully remembers then regurgitates onto paper so that the incoming years can benefit. Not that I would ever do that :)
If you can get your hands on that absolutely key stuff you'll have an idea how it compares to your own training and knowledge.
As you can imagine this is frowned on by the Royal College so use your discretion.
Also they will be studying and doing questions for the exam and will have organized study groups and would love to have some attending help for some of the questions.

Thanks for your reply. I am in UK at the moment hoping to relocate to Canada by next year. Your suggestions have been most helpful and I will be writing my exams only after relocating. Mean while I will try to get in touch with some study groups.

tussy said:
I don't believe there is any set text or course to prepare for any of the royal college exams. Canadian residents write them at the completion of their training. They are grueling exams and a lot of preparation is needed. Go to the Royal College website for the specific objectives of the anesthesia exam.

http://rcpsc.medical.org

Thank you for your reply. Yours and other responses have prompted me to decide to write the exam after relocating to Canada. Hopefully I will get more help once I am there

Narkose said:
Hi,
this prompted me to ask a question related to this. I would like to know if you wrote the MCCEE and LMCCs or were your USMLEs recognized after you complete the anesthesia residency in the US?
Thanks.

I have to write the MCCEE before writing FRCPC exam. The other parts of the Medical council exams can be written after that. I have not written USMLE as I am training in UK