Canadian Citizen applying from the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASD72

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a canadian citizen that wants to apply to the ontario medical schools from the UK. Would they consider me as international?

I'm doing a biomed degree at the moment which is 3 years, but NOSM require 4 yr degree, even though in the Uk most degrees are 3 yrs. is it worth me applying there?

Also is McMaster now introducing the MCAT, I've tried some tests and they really are quite different in terms of subject matter compared to what it is here.

I'm actually quite confused about the whole applying system and foreign transcripts, so if there is anyone who is kind enough to help me i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ASD72 said:
Hi,

I'm a canadian citizen that wants to apply to the ontario medical schools from the UK. Would they consider me as international?

I'm doing a biomed degree at the moment which is 3 years, but NOSM require 4 yr degree, even though in the Uk most degrees are 3 yrs. is it worth me applying there?

Also is McMaster now introducing the MCAT, I've tried some tests and they really are quite different in terms of subject matter compared to what it is here.

I'm actually quite confused about the whole applying system and foreign transcripts, so if there is anyone who is kind enough to help me i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Email or call the school and ask them. That is the best source of information.

Good luck

ASD72 said:
Hi,

Thanks
You'll have to find out if there is also a minimum residency requirement before you apply. If not, Toronto, McGill and Memorial University of Newfoundland all accept a few internationals every year and your Canadian citzenship should give you access to local loans. McMaster is thinking about introducing the Verbal section only of the MCAT, but the AAMC (the organization that produces the MCAT) currently has an issue with this request. My guess is that the AAMC won't allow an exception for McMaster and the medical school will have to come up with their own exam.

If you end up having to apply as an international (that is, you neeed to live in Canada for a few years to be eligible as a 'local'....like the U.K.), I would forget about McMaster; they won't admit internationals anymore - in spite of what their website says.

Your foreign transcript has to be evaluated by a professional agency like WES. Canada is much more open to this than the U.S. I, too, applied to Canadian and American medical schools, initially as a British citizen, and I found Canada to be infinitely more knowledgable and accepting of degrees earned outside of their system.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you will need to apply as an international.

Okay lets go through the questions??? Like in elemantary school.

Where were you born?
Have you ever lived in Canada? IF yes which province? (this will be your residency)
Have you ever landed in Canada?
Do you have a Canadian Passport? Where was it issued?

If issued abroad then you will need to land in Canada, and the place where you land... I assume will be your province of residency.

Regarding application... well its an ENGLISH school system in the UK, I am guessing here.. so no translation needed. I don't think you will have to get anything evaluated, but worst case senario you will. WES in toronto (world education services) will evaluate your UK transcript and give you Canadian equiv. but I dought you will need that. Especially if its a reputable known school in the UK.

The MCAT... well you have no option (ZERO option) with this one. If a school requires MCAT, you will write the MCAT or not apply there. NO EXCEPTIONS.

NOSM doesn't require the MCAT, but be very careful, if you are not from northern ontario or have some ties there.. you will be betting on strong odds. No matter if its a 3 or 4 year Bachelors that you have.

McMasters, even though they don't need the MCAT, they are also not an easy school to get in to. The last time I checked the admission numbers for mac are as competetive as those for UofT. This whole story about 3.0 GPA and life experience thing.. is overplayed.

Ottawa is the other one that doesn't require the MCAT.. but again, it is something you have to check with Ottawa how they evaluate UK school work.

You will apply to OMSAS (centralized system) for all Ontario schools. McGill and UofT don't have provincial preferences. I believe all the others have some kind of provincial preference (note born in Quebec makes you quebec resident).

docbill said:
Regarding application... well its an ENGLISH school system in the UK, I am guessing here.. so no translation needed. I don't think you will have to get anything evaluated, but worst case senario you will. WES in toronto (world education services) will evaluate your UK transcript and give you Canadian equiv. but I dought you will need that. Especially if its a reputable known school in the UK.
The WES evaluation is definitely required. It has less to do with language, and more to do with the very different methods of assessment in Canada and the United Kingdom. I went to a reputable school and, still, the U of T wanted the WES evaluation before they made a decision on offering an interview.

Thanks docbill and Scottish Chap for your help its made it much clearer to me now.

I just wanted to know from you Scottish Chap, how the process was for you when you applied.

I'm currently at queen mary uni of london, i'd say thats a reputable uni, but as you said i will get my transcripts assessed by WES. i would include all GCSE's, A level and Degree (1st and 2nd year so far) results?

Answering your questions docbill, was born in london, have never lived or landed in canada, father moved to london while working for CIBC, but i do have a Canadian passport, due to the considerable amount of time my 'rents lived there.

i'm going to call all the ontario unis to see if i would be an international, but otherwise i think i'm going to try my luck and apply to all ontario unis'

thanks again