Canadian Caribbean grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cardiovert29

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Canadian here who graduated in May from a Caribbean medical school. Applied for residency in the US this year but it looks pretty bad out there for non US citizens so not having high hopes. Even with above average USMLE scores.

I am hoping to apply for IM/FM in Canada (Ontario specifically) next year. My plan is to do the MCCEE by March 2017 and NAC-OSCE by September 2017.

In terms of experience, all my clinical rotations were in the US. I am currently getting unpaid experience as a medical assistant with a family physician here in Ontario. It involves triaging, history taking, doing brief physical exams and writing patient notes on the EMR. I am planning to apply for an observership at UHN as well. I've been networking with some physicians as well in the mean time.

Realistically, how competitive will my application be if I can get decent scores? What else do you recommend I do to increase my chances?

For those who attempted both the USMLEs and MCCEE, how difficult is one compared to the other?

Members don't see this ad.

did you participate in the the ERAS/US match? Canadians I know with even average board scores who applied broadly (100+ FM/IM) programs have been getting AT LEAST double digit interviews.

I dont know what kind of networking you are doing with physicians in Ontario but whats the point if they have no say in the residency selection process? I guess getting letters would be helpful but i assume you already have them prepared

Took both USMLE and MCCEE, the latter felt way easier (many Q's were one short sentence lol) but i scored worse (only average), i did pretty well on the USMLE