canadian board and chances there?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moslem Doctor

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any one can give me idea about canadian board exam how it like and how many steps and is it difficult than usmle or easier ? and tell me about chances to take surgical residency there , is it greater than usa or lesser ?

thank u

Members don't see this ad.

any one can give me idea about canadian board exam how it like and how many steps and is it difficult than usmle or easier ? and tell me about chances to take surgical residency there , is it greater than usa or lesser ?

thank u
You would need to write the MCCQE and MCCEE among other exams AFAIK. As an IMG, your chances of landing any residency, nevermind a surgical residency, are extremely low in Canada.

You would need to write the MCCQE and MCCEE among other exams AFAIK. As an IMG, your chances of landing any residency, nevermind a surgical residency, are extremely low in Canada.
Yup.

Keep in mind that about 30% of US residencies are filled by foreign grads every year, compared to a fairly small handful in Canada (well under 10%, I think). The US is far more accessible for foreign graduates. I think this is changing in Canada, slowly, but the fact is we just don't have a very high residency spot/graduate ratio.

iam so thankful for both of you really , and i really surprised as i was thinking always that canada much welcome foreign students and chances for them much better !!!!!
but can you give me some hints about chances of one who have american board to work in canada later on? and is canadian board harder or easier than american ? and it has especial books to study for it or books for american can cover its topics

thank you so much