Canadian applying to US - need shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clever_smart_boy_like_me

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We aren't allowed to shadow here in Canada but I understand it's important for the schools in the States...
Is it necessary or could I get by with other ECs?

Members don't see this ad.

We aren't allowed to shadow here in Canada but I understand it's important for the schools in the States...
Is it necessary or could I get by with other ECs?
Adcomms know there are parts of Canada where shadowing opportunities are not to be found, so you can get by without it. But be sure you have another activity where you are in the presence of physicians at a clinical site. For your own sake, you need to know what you're getting yourself into.

Adcomms know there are parts of Canada where shadowing opportunities are not to be found, so you can get by without it. But be sure you have another activity where you are in the presence of physicians at a clinical site. For your own sake, you need to know what you're getting yourself into.
Can't speak for the adcom members who decide on who to invite to interviews, but many of my interviewers were surprised to hear that shadowing in Canada is nearly impossible.