Can you work while in pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, definetly don't get private loans!!! I thought Grad Plus loans are unlimited???

You can borrow up to your estimated cost of living that your Federal loans do not cover. The estimated cost of living is QUITE generous, so I cannot imagine needing that much.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope so I hate working and not knowing everything. LOL....another thing about Target I like better than walgreens is the fact that sometimes there are more than one tech working. The walgreens I worked at is consider a "slow" store b/c it only does 200 to 250 scripts a day and therefore only has ONE tech working all the time!!! So I never get my breaks and sometimes don't even get lunch either. However the Target I am working at is slower than Walgreens and have 2 or 3 techs sometimes! gotta LOVE Target!

You should quit Rite Aid and work at Walgreens...that way you can get DOUBLE tuition reimbursements b/c BOTH Walgreens and Target have it. ;)

And thanks alot! Definetly let me know about Target's tuition reimbursements. PM me. :)

Our store did a max of 300 a day, and we were consider "slow". We had one tech come in at 8 (she stayed till 4), we had a second tech come in at 10 (she stayed till 6), and a third tech come in between 12-4. Even then, I hardly ever got a lunch break or a regular break. I've worked 9 hours straight with no breaks; however, this was when I started and didn't want to see lazy or whatever. Once I got into it and showed that I was a good worker, I took my breaks. It's illegal for them to not give you a lunch break when you're working 6+ hours, and they know this.

Yeah, definetly don't get private loans!!! I thought Grad Plus loans are unlimited???

Your school tells you how much you qualify in grad plus loans. I was happy that my school my the loan process really easy. They sent my award letter months ago, and I just had to go online and do an entrance exam and sign my MPN. It look like 15 minutes and less than a week later, I got a confirmation letter in the mail stating when my money will be disbursed. I'm all set as far as loans go.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can borrow up to your estimated cost of living that your Federal loans do not cover. The estimated cost of living is QUITE generous, so I cannot imagine needing that much.

I have an expensive lifestyle (ie, wife and kid). Grad PLUS loans are limited to cost of attendance, including cost of living, which varies based on the school and location. If it was just me, I'd decline the Grad PLUS because I can live off of ramen and leftovers, but I feel bad giving that to a baby.

I have an expensive lifestyle (ie, wife and kid). Grad PLUS loans are limited to cost of attendance, including cost of living, which varies based on the school and location. If it was just me, I'd decline the Grad PLUS because I can live off of ramen and leftovers, but I feel bad giving that to a baby.

Much respect for having kids while in school. My sister had her first one half-way through med school and it is not easy at all. :)

Whats the GPA requirement to join?

But more importantly how much scholarship $$$ do they offer? Yes, its all about the money. :)

I believe it's the top 10%, so it's not necessarily GPA specific.

As for working, I'd suggest it. It really helps get to know the drugs. Granted, it won't be all the drugs, but many of the common ones that you'll have to study in therapeutics any way. You'll get brand and generics out of the way pretty quick then you can start memorizing common and severe side effects depending on the amount of counseling they let you do. That will give you time on your own to study MOA and other stuff you'll end up getting tested on. I do 15-20 hours per week and it's manageable. That's on top of my fraternity, church, and family, so depending on your other variables it may not be bad at all.

Wow a kid and pharmacy school???? this will be very hard. For me IMPOSSIBLE. If I had a kid, I know I can't go to school for sure!:laugh: You should make your wife go to work to support you and the kid while you are in school... and then let her stay home when you graduate. She shouldn't mind working for 4 years b/c you are in school.

I get a lunch sometimes, but a 15 minute break? NEVER!!! I have never had a 15 minute break while I was in Walgreens! The Walgreens I worked at had one tech come in at 8 am to 4 pm and another tech come in at 2 pm to 10 pm on Mondays to Fridays. Weekends only one tech from 9 am to 6 pm.

So I was alone most of the day, every day. :rolleyes: Mondays are killers!

Our store did a max of 300 a day, and we were consider "slow". We had one tech come in at 8 (she stayed till 4), we had a second tech come in at 10 (she stayed till 6), and a third tech come in between 12-4. Even then, I hardly ever got a lunch break or a regular break. I've worked 9 hours straight with no breaks; however, this was when I started and didn't want to see lazy or whatever. Once I got into it and showed that I was a good worker, I took my breaks. It's illegal for them to not give you a lunch break when you're working 6+ hours, and they know this.

Your school tells you how much you qualify in grad plus loans. I was happy that my school my the loan process really easy. They sent my award letter months ago, and I just had to go online and do an entrance exam and sign my MPN. It look like 15 minutes and less than a week later, I got a confirmation letter in the mail stating when my money will be disbursed. I'm all set as far as loans go.

I believe it's the top 10%, so it's not necessarily GPA specific.

As for working, I'd suggest it. It really helps get to know the drugs. Granted, it won't be all the drugs, but many of the common ones that you'll have to study in therapeutics any way. You'll get brand and generics out of the way pretty quick then you can start memorizing common and severe side effects depending on the amount of counseling they let you do. That will give you time on your own to study MOA and other stuff you'll end up getting tested on. I do 15-20 hours per week and it's manageable. That's on top of my fraternity, church, and family, so depending on your other variables it may not be bad at all.

I will not be joining any clubs and I don't go to church. The only things I need are shopping time and the gym. I need at least one hour a day for the gym. Its not worth getting fat b/c of pharmacy school.

Meh. My store averages 800+. Drive-thru can get interesting...

I hope it's more than just you and a Pharmacist for that 800+.

We don't have a drive through though, as I work in a smaller independent pharmacy. We service a lot of the university scripts though, so the clientele is usually really patient/nice.

I hope it's more than just you and a Pharmacist for that 800+.

We don't have a drive through though, as I work in a smaller independent pharmacy. We service a lot of the university scripts though, so the clientele is usually really patient/nice.

We usually have a tech at in window, one on phones, one filling, one at out window, and one at drive thru in addition to two Rph verifying. It is manageable without the phone jockey, but take anyone else away and it gets ugly. My pharm mananger says we are 2nd in the nation on scripts avg for wags but I dunno.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow a kid and pharmacy school???? this will be very hard. For me IMPOSSIBLE. If I had a kid, I know I can't go to school for sure!:laugh: You should make your wife go to work to support you and the kid while you are in school... and then let her stay home when you graduate. She shouldn't mind working for 4 years b/c you are in school.

I have students in my class with 2 and even 3 kids and they are doing really well. It just takes determination. With determination, anything is possible!

Target so far is a lot better than Walgreens, You actually get all your 15 minute breaks!!!! :D No drive thru which is the BIGGEST PLUS! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: And its NOT busy! but I have only been in the pharmacy twice so far and I haven't master their computer system yet. :(

I did one month rotation at target and i really lilked it. It wasn't too busy. I still didn't master their computer system, even though the techs said it was really easy to know compared to CVS's system. It was my first time in a pharmacy. I'm trying to see if i can find an intern job there. I really like their new pill bottles too. I think they're really cool!

I did one month rotation at target and i really lilked it. It wasn't too busy. I still didn't master their computer system, even though the techs said it was really easy to know compared to CVS's system. It was my first time in a pharmacy. I'm trying to see if i can find an intern job there. I really like their new pill bottles too. I think they're really cool!

It took me 4 to 6 weeks to master Walgreen's computer system...I hope I can learn Target's faster. Insurance should be the SAME I hope.

It took me 4 to 6 weeks to master Walgreen's computer system...I hope I can learn Target's faster. Insurance should be the SAME I hope.

The worst thing about Target is the khaki and red. It really bothers me. I can't stand khaki pants and red shirts together. They need to change their uniforms ASAP.

The worst thing about Target is the khaki and red. It really bothers me. I can't stand khaki pants and red shirts together. They need to change their uniforms ASAP.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! Red shirts are okay, but khaki pants are sooooooo UGLY! Khaki's should be for man only!

At the Pharmacy in our SUPER TARJEH, the Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians wear a white short-sleeved (lol) lab coat and whatever they want underneath, no red shirt to be seen...

It's strange for one store, if it is only one store, to deviate like that.

I enjoy wearing basically whatever I want... Independent pharmacy is the way to go. Well, besides hospital, since again, the dress code is pretty laissez-faire, especially in ambulatory care.

I hated CVS's computer system. It was like really old school. Walgreens was a lot better. It took a few times of me using it to get the hang of everything. I'm hoping to find a position at Target, so I'm hoping it's comparable to Walgreens as far as ease of use.

At the Pharmacy in our SUPER TARJEH, the Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians wear a white short-sleeved (lol) lab coat and whatever they want underneath, no red shirt to be seen...

It's strange for one store, if it is only one store, to deviate like that.

I enjoy wearing basically whatever I want... Independent pharmacy is the way to go. Well, besides hospital, since again, the dress code is pretty laissez-faire, especially in ambulatory care.

I like the short-sleeved lab coats because for some reason CVS likes to turn up the heat too much in the winter, and doesn't turn on the A/C enough in the summer.

The funny thing is, it is colder in the front store than it is inside the pharmacy. Personally, I wish the temperature of the pharmacy was like the temperature of the storage room (55-60 degrees). I tried calling up the central AC place to set that temperature to like 60 but they said the lowest they allow is 71.

What also sucks is the new order from loss prevention that we cannot keep the back door to the pharmacy propped open to let air come in from the storage room. :lame:

I like the short-sleeved lab coats because for some reason CVS likes to turn up the heat too much in the winter, and doesn't turn on the A/C enough in the summer.

The funny thing is, it is colder in the front store than it is inside the pharmacy. Personally, I wish the temperature of the pharmacy was like the temperature of the storage room (55-60 degrees). I tried calling up the central AC place to set that temperature to like 60 but they said the lowest they allow is 71.

What also sucks is the new order from loss prevention that we cannot keep the back door to the pharmacy propped open to let air come in from the storage room. :lame:

When I worked at Walgreens, we had our own thermostat in the pharmacy. We'd set that thing so low sometimes, I'd be freezing my butt off. :p I normally like it low when it's busy and you're doing lots, but when you're standing there doing nothing, it gets cold fast.

yeah. I do not like their uniforms either. During my rotations i wore whatever I wanted so long as it was business casual and the pharmacists commented that they wished they would be allowed to do the same. On one hand i like the idea of allowing PHARMACISTS to wear whatever they want as long as it's business casual with a white coat. On the other hand, uniforms are also good since you would not have to worry about deciding on what to wear everyday; that takes up most of my time in the mornings, being a woman, lol. They just need to get better-looking uniforms.

yeah. I do not like their uniforms either. During my rotations i wore whatever I wanted so long as it was business casual and the pharmacists commented that they wished they would be allowed to do the same. On one hand i like the idea of allowing PHARMACISTS to wear whatever they want as long as it's business casual with a white coat. On the other hand, uniforms are also good since you would not have to worry about deciding on what to wear everyday; that takes up most of my time in the mornings, being a woman, lol. They just need to get better-looking uniforms.

So I hear you saying that you want to look good but you don't want to put any effort into looking good. ;)

I got my hours down to 8 hours a week. Tuesdays and Thursday nights at 4 to 8 pm. I think I can handle that better during pharmacy school!

I just hate the khakis, if it was jeans or black pants or anything else I will be okay with it. Khakis are the ugliest things ever.

I got my hours down to 8 hours a week. Tuesdays and Thursday nights at 4 to 8 pm. I think I can handle that better during pharmacy school!

Yay! That seems much more doable. I was talking to a rising 2nd year student and she recommended me not to work during second year cause that's the worse year to work, and that's when I was planning to get a job if I didn't get it this first year (which I wasn't). I'll probably just work during the summers and hopefully I can find a hospital position.

I just hate the khakis, if it was jeans or black pants or anything else I will be okay with it. Khakis are the ugliest things ever.

I actually like khakis :p. We have to be business casual at my school, so I was planning to wear lots of khakis.

Yay! That seems much more doable. I was talking to a rising 2nd year student and she recommended me not to work during second year cause that's the worse year to work, and that's when I was planning to get a job if I didn't get it this first year (which I wasn't). I'll probably just work during the summers and hopefully I can find a hospital position.

I actually like khakis :p. We have to be business casual at my school, so I was planning to wear lots of khakis.

Yeah, 2nd year I am going to cut down to 4 hours a week! :laugh: Maybe 4 to 8 on Tuesday ONLY! I figure if someone can have a KID while be in pharmacy school I can work 4 hours a week. I hope so anyways...:rolleyes:

Khakis only look good on men, women not so much.

That sucks, can the school actually make you wear business casual? Touro tried that, but it didn't hold for long.

Khakis look great on women as long as she's beautiful and they're very tight on her to show those curves :love:.

That sucks, can the school actually make you wear business casual? Touro tried that, but it didn't hold for long.

I know South University has that rule. Everyone must dress professionally EVERYDAY! The students aren't even allow to have food or drinks in class. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's been successful at my soon to be school. I'm more of a jeans and t-shirt type of girl, so it's going to be hard to change that.

I don't think they look bad on women, provided the fit. (but that goes for any pants)

This is how I feel. If they're baggy, I don't think they look good, but if they fit close to the body, I think they're fine.

Khakis look great on women as long as she's beautiful and they're very tight on her to show those curves :love:.

Oh I see how it is! LOL... I still think jeans are better though.

Oh I see how it is! LOL... I still think jeans are better though.

I'm even worse than jeans/tshirt.... i wear sweatpants all the time.
i can't find jeans/pants that fit! Unless i want to wear a belt, but i HATE wearing belts.:mad: But sweatpants fit soo well lol

Ok...done with my OT rant. This thread is now more about pants :laugh:

Yeah, it's been successful at my soon to be school. I'm more of a jeans and t-shirt type of girl, so it's going to be hard to change that.

What can they do, send you home? Suspend you, expel you, for not conforming to the dress code? They aren't paying you, you're paying them.

Then again, I think it's much easier for a girl to dress up than for a guy, girls have a lot more options, and for a guy, if you don't like wearing slacks, you're screwed.

Biggest problem I have with dressing up is that if the AC isn't cranked to like icy cold, then I start sweating like crazy.

I'm just curious SHC, how are the people you work with at Target? Are they cooler/better than the ones at Walgreen's? And anyone else, please throw in your opinion too! I'm trying to find a place to work too, and am wondering if I should go ahead and rule out any pharmacies already. :D

Workload is fine, I just wonder about the co-workers. I have one friend working at a certain chain, and he says most of the people he works with have NO sense of humor... which could make work very boring.

What can they do, send you home? Suspend you, expel you, for not conforming to the dress code? They aren't paying you, you're paying them.

Then again, I think it's much easier for a girl to dress up than for a guy, girls have a lot more options, and for a guy, if you don't like wearing slacks, you're screwed.

Biggest problem I have with dressing up is that if the AC isn't cranked to like icy cold, then I start sweating like crazy.

I'm not sure what they do if you don't wear appropriate clothing. I think it'd be embarrassing to be taken aside and told you're not following the dress code of the school. I can kinda understand why they want professional dressed students. I actually think it's easier for guys. All you have to do is wear slacks and a button up shirt. Girls have too many choices, which can be bad sometimes. Thus, resulting in taking forever to pick something to wear. :p

Thats about right. I know LECOM has a strict dress code also. You have to sign a form promising to abide it. If you don't, they'll pull you aside, write you up, send you home, then write you up for not going to class (they do that as well). Hey if you don't like it, then don't go there!

I'm even worse than jeans/tshirt.... i wear sweatpants all the time.
i can't find jeans/pants that fit! Unless i want to wear a belt, but i HATE wearing belts.:mad: But sweatpants fit soo well lol

Ok...done with my OT rant. This thread is now more about pants :laugh:

I like sweatpants and adidas pants a lot too. Especially adidas b/c they are so light! :laugh: I am so glad there is NO dress code at Mercer. I like to SLEEP and hate getting up early to dress up...I mean unless I have "someone" I had to impress somewhere, I prefer sleeping until the LAST minute and then wearing a t-shirt/jeans or sweatpants to class.

I'm not sure what they do if you don't wear appropriate clothing. I think it'd be embarrassing to be taken aside and told you're not following the dress code of the school. I can kinda understand why they want professional dressed students. I actually think it's easier for guys. All you have to do is wear slacks and a button up shirt. Girls have too many choices, which can be bad sometimes. Thus, resulting in taking forever to pick something to wear. :p

I agree, yet another reason to pick a school with no dress code. Save yourself some sleep! ;)

I'm still thinking about how much I should work during school. I think as long as you work for a company during the summers and winters, you have an "in" with the company because you know how to use their computers and you know how the workflow goes and you don't need much training. I'm sticking with Walgreen's so I can get 3 weeks vacation when I start as a pharmacist. Well, that is if I don't find hospital or something else more interesting than retail. :hungover:

Oh and I'm taking your advice about starting to pay off loans during school so I don't have like 10K of interest piling up on me for the first year. Gross!!

I'm just curious SHC, how are the people you work with at Target? Are they cooler/better than the ones at Walgreen's? And anyone else, please throw in your opinion too! I'm trying to find a place to work too, and am wondering if I should go ahead and rule out any pharmacies already. :D

Workload is fine, I just wonder about the co-workers. I have one friend working at a certain chain, and he says most of the people he works with have NO sense of humor... which could make work very boring.

The main reasons I hate Walgreens is because 1) there is a drive thru 2) Walgreens is cheap and doesn't close for lunch. 3) Walgreens is cheap and doesn't allow any 15 minute breaks. 4) Walgreens wants you to eat lunch or dinner at 2pm to 4pm, but normal people get hungry at 12 to 1pm for lunch and 6pm to 7pm for dinner, so I HATE eating at 2 or 4pm 5) Walgreens is cheap and only allow ONE tech with ONE pharmacist working. 6) Walgreens blames you, if you are in a slow store...like its your fault that your store doesn't fill 1000+ scripts a day! damn!:rolleyes: 7) low pay, raises suck I heard 8) Have I mentioned that Walgreens is cheap?

I just started working at Target, so I can't say anything good or bad about them yet. I just know its a lot more relaxing (slower). However there is a drawback. I have been used to Walgreens computer system, their sig codes, their filling methods, etc. Walgreens has the best computer system ever, they update their computers every 2 to 3 years. And I love Walgreen's efficiency in their filling station, rx entering station, etc. OVERALL Walgreen's computer and filling system is very convient, easy to use, fast, organized etc.
Target's computer system is very outdated, slow and not efficient at all. I feel that the filling station needs major work, they don't even have a machine to scan their bottles and labels to check and see if they are accurate!!! :eek: everything is done by hand and takes a lot LONGER. Overall I see Targets pharmacy has not very organize which can lead to a lot of errors.

Okay you asked for the staff...Well, I LOVE one of my pharmacist at Walgreens, we are considered friends. She helps me fill and she is very nice and stays under control during stressful situations. Walgreens wants the pharmacists to help fill when the pharmacy is BUSY. My pharmacist at Walgreens ALWAYS helps me when I am busy. She was also very nice and patient with me when I first started working as a tech. I asked her a million questions a day about insurance and doctor's handwriting! And not once did she get mad at me for asking so many questions, if thats not nice I don't know what is.:laugh: She does not think she is too good to help me (a tech) just b/c she has a pharmd. One of the reasons could be the fact that Walgreens puts a lot of pressure on customer service and if I am with a customer and there are 3 others, the pharmacist has to help me.

However, at Target its a different story, granted this is my FIRST week at Target and I don't know my pharmacist very well, but this is my first day out of the training room and I am working with the senior tech. The pharmacist there does NOTHING except sit, drink coffee and read books. She will come over and verifed a script once and in a while, but other than that she is either reading, drinking coffee or NOT even in the pharmacy!!! Sometimes she is gone for over one hour! :eek: However, the senior tech at target knows her ****, that girl is proberly the best tech in the world. She can run everything. So the pharmacist sometimes diappears and everything will still be fine!!! I wish I have that talent, but I don't. :( I suck at computers, I just started facebook/SDN 2 years ago and before that I never even go on the computer! And now I just check facebook and sdn, I still hate computers! :laugh: But the point is I am not a computer person b/c I don't use computers much and the pharmacist told me today, that I will be working by myself on Sunday and that I better soak up EVERYTHING from today b/c she is going to be sitting at her corner on Sunday "as usual"! :eek: Today there was a bunch of scripts to fill and she didn't even help with one. Maybe its Target's policy that the techs does EVERYTHING and the pharmacists just verifies and consults as needed. Who knows?

***however to be fair, she did go to pharmacy school, so she should NOT have to do any "tech" work I guess...and I guess its also a good thing b/c when I am a pharmacist I WILL LOVE to be able to sit, drink coffee and diappear for a few hours without notice! :laugh: thats something I am looking FORWARD to for sure!***

I just hope that pharmacist don't expect me to be as good as the senior tech (god, I wish I had HALF her talent!) or kill me for asking questions on using that out dated computer system (that system is older than me!).

Okay sorry for blabbing on and on...:oops: but I just want to paint the picture that it doesn't matter which retail you pick some pharmacists are going to be nice and helpful and some are going to be not helpful. They are not mean, but they just don't want to help you b/c they are a PharmD and shouldn't have too...Just like some pharmacies have very verrrrry TALENTED senior techs (like the one I am working with now) and some will have average techs, and some will have bad techs. Its ALL LUCK who you end up with. Nothing to do with what "retail" you pick. You pick which retail by how much they pay you, if they close for lunch, if they are cheap or not, if they have drive thru or not etc... How "nice" the people you work with is ALL Luck!

I'm still thinking about how much I should work during school. I think as long as you work for a company during the summers and winters, you have an "in" with the company because you know how to use their computers and you know how the workflow goes and you don't need much training. I'm sticking with Walgreen's so I can get 3 weeks vacation when I start as a pharmacist. Well, that is if I don't find hospital or something else more interesting than retail. :hungover:

Oh and I'm taking your advice about starting to pay off loans during school so I don't have like 10K of interest piling up on me for the first year. Gross!!

I think 4 to 8 hours per week is a good balance. Thats how many hours I will be working every week. And its a great idea to "hold" your spot in a company b/c you never know with this surplus.

I am paying off the interest, not the loan itself. Altought thats not a bad idea if you have the money.

The main reasons I hate Walgreens is because 1) there is a drive thru 2) Walgreens is cheap and doesn't close for lunch. 3) Walgreens is cheap and doesn't allow any 15 minute breaks. 4) Walgreens wants you to eat lunch or dinner at 2pm to 4pm, but normal people get hungry at 12 to 1pm for lunch and 6pm to 7pm for dinner, so I HATE eating at 2 or 4pm 5) Walgreens is cheap and only allow ONE tech with ONE pharmacist working. 6) Walgreens blames you, if you are in a slow store...like its your fault that your store doesn't fill 1000+ scripts a day! damn!:rolleyes: 7) low pay, raises suck I heard 8) Have I mentioned that Walgreens is cheap?

I just started working at Target, so I can't say anything good or bad about them yet. I just know its a lot more relaxing (slower). However there is a drawback. I have been used to Walgreens computer system, their sig codes, their filling methods, etc. Walgreens has the best computer system ever, they update their computers every 2 to 3 years. And I love Walgreen's efficiency in their filling station, rx entering station, etc. OVERALL Walgreen's computer and filling system is very convient, easy to use, fast, organized etc.
Target's computer system is very outdated, slow and not efficient at all. I feel that the filling station needs major work, they don't even have a machine to scan their bottles and labels to check and see if they are accurate!!! :eek: everything is done by hand and takes a lot LONGER. Overall I see Targets pharmacy has not very organize which can lead to a lot of errors.

Okay you asked for the staff...Well, I LOVE one of my pharmacist at Walgreens, we are considered friends. She helps me fill and she is very nice and stays under control during stressful situations. Walgreens wants the pharmacists to help fill when the pharmacy is BUSY. My pharmacist at Walgreens ALWAYS helps me when I am busy. She was also very nice and patient with me when I first started working as a tech. I asked her a million questions a day about insurance and doctor's handwriting! And not once did she get mad at me for asking so many questions, if thats not nice I don't know what is.:laugh: She does not think she is too good to help me (a tech) just b/c she has a pharmd. One of the reasons could be the fact that Walgreens puts a lot of pressure on customer service and if I am with a customer and there are 3 others, the pharmacist has to help me.

However, at Target its a different story, granted this is my FIRST week at Target and I don't know my pharmacist very well, but this is my first day out of the training room and I am working with the senior tech. The pharmacist there does NOTHING except sit, drink coffee and read books. She will come over and verifed a script once and in a while, but other than that she is either reading, drinking coffee or NOT even in the pharmacy!!! Sometimes she is gone for over one hour! :eek: However, the senior tech at target knows her ****, that girl is proberly the best tech in the world. She can run everything. So the pharmacist sometimes diappears and everything will still be fine!!! I wish I have that talent, but I don't. :( I suck at computers, I just started facebook/SDN 2 years ago and before that I never even go on the computer! And now I just check facebook and sdn, I still hate computers! :laugh: But the point is I am not a computer person b/c I don't use computers much and the pharmacist told me today, that I will be working by myself on Sunday and that I better soak up EVERYTHING from today b/c she is going to be sitting at her corner on Sunday "as usual"! :eek: Today there was a bunch of scripts to fill and she didn't even help with one. Maybe its Target's policy that the techs does EVERYTHING and the pharmacists just verifies and consults as needed. Who knows?

***however to be fair, she did go to pharmacy school, so she should NOT have to do any "tech" work I guess...and I guess its also a good thing b/c when I am a pharmacist I WILL LOVE to be able to sit, drink coffee and diappear for a few hours without notice! :laugh: thats something I am looking FORWARD to for sure!***

I just hope that pharmacist don't expect me to be as good as the senior tech (god, I wish I had HALF her talent!) or kill me for asking questions on using that out dated computer system (that system is older than me!).

Okay sorry for blabbing on and on...:oops: but I just want to paint the picture that it doesn't matter which retail you pick some pharmacists are going to be nice and helpful and some are going to be not helpful. They are not mean, but they just don't want to help you b/c they are a PharmD and shouldn't have too...Just like some pharmacies have very verrrrry TALENTED senior techs (like the one I am working with now) and some will have average techs, and some will have bad techs. Its ALL LUCK who you end up with. Nothing to do with what "retail" you pick. You pick which retail by how much they pay you, if they close for lunch, if they are cheap or not, if they have drive thru or not etc... How "nice" the people you work with is ALL Luck!

Cool :thumbup:. Thanks for the reply!

DILEMIA!!!!

Okay I feel bad now. :( Today I worked with the pharmacist at Target for the first time. By myself since its a Sunday. She actually helped me filled some scripts! I was expecting work to be pile up my a** while I am trying to learn Target's computer system. It was just hard to believe b/c I have never seen her fill or move when I was just training and watching her and the senior tech. I even joked with her and ask if she usually help fill and she says no, she hasn't filled in over 3 years, but since I am new she is going to help me. I feel bad b/c I am leaving her in a month. I live 30-40 minutes away from the store I am at right now and she wants me to work 15-20 hours a week...I prefer working closer to home/fewer hours when school starts and found a Target thats willing to give me 8 hours a week and its a 3 minute drive VS a 30 minute drive...so I have plan to transfer after pharmacy school starts to SAVE some study time. My 30-40 minute drive one way or 1-1 and a half hour drive both ways...is a waste of time/gas. So I want to transfer...But I haven't told my pharmacist yet and she was so helpful and nice to me today...I feel bad...

Not sure what should I do??? Anyone here have any ideas? I really need to transfer, I mean why drive 30 minutes when I can just drive 3 minutes? But I feel bad for leaving her hanging and SHORT HANDED. What if she can't find anyone to work? I will feel very bad. What should I do?

"Can't find anyone to work" and "Recession" are mutually exclusive. There will be another pharmacy tech. to take your place.

Tell her you're going to transfer and do what you need to do. Be damn sure you've got that position at the Target closer to your pharmacy school, though. It'd suck to piss off the Pharmacist where you work now and have to plead and beg back in a month or something.

"Can't find anyone to work" and "Recession" are mutually exclusive. There will be another pharmacy tech. to take your place.

Tell her you're going to transfer and do what you need to do. Be damn sure you've got that position at the Target closer to your pharmacy school, though. It'd suck to piss off the Pharmacist where you work now and have to plead and beg back in a month or something.

Right now the pharmacy I am working at is only giving me 20 hours a week...so I am picking up additional hours at the Target close to my house b/c someone is on vacation for 2 weeks. I talk to the pharmacy manager there and she told me she needs someone to work on Tuesday/Thursday nights from 4-8pm. She says she has very few hours but she can give me 8 hours a week after Labor day. Which is PERFECT b/c I only want about 8 hours or less a week when school starts so I am 99% sure that I have the job. She needs someone to work those two nights and I am AVAILABLE those two nights! :D

I am actually getting along very well with the pharmacist I am working with right now...she says she is glad that she will be working with me for 4 years! so it makes me feel WORST about leaving at the end of August!

Should I tell her NOW or wait till August? what do you think? The only reason I don't want to tell her now is b/c I don't want her to fire me now b/c I want to work my 20 hours a week until school starts...the pharmacy close to my house only has 8 hours a week to give me AFTER labor day! right now they have NO hours to give me expect from July 25 to August 2 when one tech is on vacation...I want to work from now until school starts...what should I do? Tell her I am leaving in August or wait till later on?

I want August 23rd to be my last day...when should I tell her this?? (I prefer not getting fired before August 23rd though! LOL...)

Right now the pharmacy I am working at is only giving me 20 hours a week...so I am picking up additional hours at the Target close to my house b/c someone is on vacation for 2 weeks. I talk to the pharmacy manager there and she told me she needs someone to work on Tuesday/Thursday nights from 4-8pm. She says she has very few hours but she can give me 8 hours a week after Labor day. Which is PERFECT b/c I only want about 8 hours or less a week when school starts so I am 99% sure that I have the job. She needs someone to work those two nights and I am AVAILABLE those two nights! :D

I am actually getting along very well with the pharmacist I am working with right now...she says she is glad that she will be working with me for 4 years! so it makes me feel WORST about leaving at the end of August!

Should I tell her NOW or wait till August? what do you think? The only reason I don't want to tell her now is b/c I don't want her to fire me now b/c I want to work my 20 hours a week until school starts...the pharmacy close to my house only has 8 hours a week to give me AFTER labor day! right now they have NO hours to give me expect from July 25 to August 2 when one tech is on vacation...I want to work from now until school starts...what should I do? Tell her I am leaving in August or wait till later on?

I want August 23rd to be my last day...when should I tell her this?? (I prefer not getting fired before August 23rd though! LOL...)

I think I would just put in a 2 weeks notice before August 23rd -- so, August 9th. Tell them that even though you really enjoy working there, you don't want it to have a negative effect on your schooling. A 30-40 minute drive is just not worth it.
Around my area all of the Target pharmacists know each other and talk amongst each other. Make sure that the pharmacist at your new, closer store doesn't say something to the pharmacist at your current store. That would make you look bad.