Can the little kiddies please put their "xyz c/o '09" somewhere else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
YouDontKnowJack said:
i have a brilliant idea.

let's litter this with "class of xxxx yyy hospital zzz residency program"

then post "w00t. i got accepted!"

can we do that? huh? can we? can we?

That's hilarious!

I'm an MS0, and I wouldn't dream of starting a c/o 2009 thread for my school here in Allo. But the mods rule the roost, I guess.

How about one giant Everywhere Class of 2009 thread? It would take up less space on the thread list, plus it would probably devolve into a school-vs.-school flamewar in about fifteen seconds, burst into flames, and die.

Members don't see this ad.

In between is a weird place to be.

thackl said:
Until day one of class, they are PRE-MEDS. I too wish these threads would go away. :thumbdown:

I agree.

I also see how these-pre meds no longer want to be viewed as pre-meds (because they got accepted) but as pre-MS1 or MS0. However, after a few months of being told you know nothing, despite test results to the contrary, you'll wish for the days of pre-allo where you thought you knew everything!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, the flaming and superior know-it-all attitudes should really stop. Just because some of you are a whole one or *gasp!* two years ahead of the MS0's doesn't mean that you're the acknowledged expert on "How It Really Is." :rolleyes: I will (as will many of my fellow MS0's), however, listen to any bit of informed, reasonably pertinent advice that anyone may offer.

Additionally, some of us are far older and have experienced more than most med students. Not saying that we're necessarily smarter or better, just that we've been around. I for one know that school's going to be a tough transition....but not one that I can't handle. In fact, most of you were in middle school when I was in the Gulf. Calling us "Kiddies" tells us far more about your own insecurities than you probably realize. :laugh:

It's also interesting to observe this reaction because it reminds of the abuser-abusee dynamic: "I was shat upon and so therefore I must **** upon you." Which is a pretty stupid and inappropriate reaction for victims of abuse and even more so for you guys. Remember, you were where we are not too long ago and a little indulgence goes a long way.

Finally, though it pains y'all terribly I know, you should perhaps take the time to actually read the threads in their later phases. Very little of the "Know it all BS" actually exists there.

I've been in the Marines, a pretty elite outfit, and none of them were nearly as self-important as some of the posters in this thread.

*deep breath*

With that being said, we're investigating the creation of a c/o subforum. We'll keep y'all updated as soon as we figure out whether it's feasible.

EvoDevo said:
Okay, the flaming and superior know-it-all attitudes should really stop. Just because some of you are a whole one or *gasp!* two years ahead of the MS0's doesn't mean that you're the acknowledged expert on "How It Really Is." :rolleyes: I will (as will many of my fellow MS0's), however, listen to any bit of informed, reasonably pertinent advice that anyone may offer.

Additionally, some of us are far older and have experienced more than most med students. Not saying that we're necessarily smarter or better, just that we've been around. I for one know that school's going to be a tough transition....but not one that I can't handle. In fact, most of you were in middle school when I was in the Gulf. Calling us "Kiddies" tells us far more about your own insecurities than you probably realize. :laugh:

It's also interesting to observe this reaction because it reminds of the abuser-abusee dynamic: "I was shat upon and so therefore I must **** upon you." Which is a pretty stupid and inappropriate reaction for victims of abuse and even more so for you guys. Remember, you were where we are not too long ago and a little indulgence goes a long way.

Finally, though it pains y'all terribly I know, you should perhaps take the time to actually read the threads in their later phases. Very little of the "Know it all BS" actually exists there.

I've been in the Marines, a pretty elite outfit, and none of them were nearly as self-important as some of the posters in this thread.

*deep breath*

With that being said, we're investigating the creation of a c/o subforum. We'll keep y'all updated as soon as we figure out whether it's feasible.

:laugh: Respect!

EvoDevo said:

Thanks.

I won't comment on the rest of your post as I seem to have pushed some buttons earlier. There are regular allo poster who have worked in the real world prior to med school.

EvoDevo said:

Excellent point, and may I also add that this is the same phenomenon responsible for med student abuse by residents, intern abuse, etc. Those of you (many of you) who are bitching at the MS0's will also be the same posters who are bitching about how mean your residents are to you on rotations this year, or how mean they were last year. It is this type of mentality ("I must feel that I am better than the people below me") that perpetuates this constant, "residents beat up on med students, older med students beat up on younger med students, and meds beat up on pre-meds" trickle-down pissing contest. In a few years when you're residents, remember how you felt on your rotations. And by then, when WE'RE the MS3's, we'll try to remember how we felt as MS1's, and not berate the new MS1's for being excited about their new school.

Medical training would be better (and more effective) if people remember that they, too, were once in the shoes of the very people they are trying to destroy at the present moment.

typeB-md said:
i know you haven't learned how to act right yet, but having a million little threads about your overly-hyped acceptances is not something every other medical student wants to read about.

i know your parents and friends are probably like "OMG, you are sooooo smart!!!" or "OMG, you have come so far!!!"

but for the rest of us in medical school, we know that such an accomplishment isn't really a big deal. we know that we have many more years of much more difficult things to come. but most importantly, we know that overzealous behavior such as that exhibiting on the allopath front page is a medical school faux pas.

this is not the free-for-all, pre-allopath forum where you can post about your kittens and how your O-chem teacher is mr. meany...

so until you can act appropriately, please keep non-medical threads out of the allopath forum. We appreciate your willingness to help.

thanks,
-the slightly older and significantly more wise

Yea, but "Does med school make you hornier?" is a topic that must be discussed on this forum, or how about how we shouldn't be working to save babies who will obviously die soon, that's even better. Get off your high horse and enjoy life, sorry that the SDN forums are such a source of anger for you.

If you really wanted to stop this, you'd email/PM a mod, all you really wanted was to proclaim your superiority, well done.

Signed,

a 29 year-old "kiddie" with a PhD

the last thing I want to see around these parts is a pissing contest about past experiences, travels, hardships, yadda yadda yadda. We're all unique, and none of us have the right to say that one life's experience is more significant than someone elses. Congratulations if you started a clinic in the jungles of Bangladesh or if you are an 83 year old veteran who was just accepted to medical school….it still doesn’t make you better than anyone else. If you want someone to tell you that you’re a great person, go ask your mother why you are a special guy/gal

signed,
~23 year old who's about to go to the pool and maybe eat some fried chicken for lunch

felipe5 said:
the last thing I want to see around these parts is a pissing contest about past experiences, travels, hardships, yadda yadda yadda. We're all unique, and none of us have the right to say that one life's experience is more significant than someone elses. Congratulations if you started a clinic in the jungles of Bangladesh or if you are an 83 year old veteran who was just accepted to medical school….it still doesn’t make you better than anyone else. If you want someone to tell you that you’re a great person, go ask your mother why you are a special guy/gal

signed,
~23 year old who's about to go to the pool and maybe eat some fried chicken for lunch
Very true. Some people at every level (MS-0, pre-clinical, clinical, resident, etc.) have so-called "life experience". Just as the MS-0s with life experience are offended at some statements made here, med students/residents here with life experience are offended by others stating/implying THEY'VE had more experience or are older or know more, yada yada yada. Everyone's story is different. There are many more important things in life to get worked up over than an anonymous message board on the internet...

felipe5 said:

signed,

Adding the little signed thing was not to brag or anything of the sort. I was simply trying to express the annoyance at being called a "kiddie" simply because I am a pre-M1. Enjoy the chicken.

felipe5 said:
Congratulations if you started a clinic in the jungles of Bangladesh or if you are an 83 year old veteran who was just accepted to medical school….it still doesn’t make you better than anyone else.

Well, if someone was both of these, I might concede they are better than I... :)

DrMom said:
For future reference, acceptance threads (ie: the c/o 2009 threads) belong in allo/osteo rather than pre-allo/pre-osteo since these folks are actually accepted & discussing that.

Since med students are good at sifting through tons of seemingly random information, these *extra* threads in the allo forum should be no problem to gloss right over. ;)
i'll make sure to save this quote after i get warned for posting things about my new MD golf clubs set or maybe my new MD scooter... thanks for the tip, mom.

Members don't see this ad :)
DieselPetrolGrl said:
maybe no one else said that "your so smart stuff" :( :( :( kahching!
and all i needed was YOUR love
now i lie lonely...floating like a lonely cloud

all i wanted was to get in Allo-forum in time for the party....
is this english? i see they are lowering admissions standards these days.

DieselPetrolGrl said:
your my fav artist ...this my new wallpaper...hello desktop!
please, for the love of everything holy and sacrosanct within the medical community, can you learn how to use proper language?

Flopotomist said:
I have noticed that every thread that I read from typeB-md is horribly negative. have you ever considered meds for whatever ails you dude? Also, were you always like that, or did school change you? What school do you go to?
negative, goose, the pattern is full.

actually, i am pointing out a legitimate problem with our current forum. i come here to have discussions with medical folks, not babysit gunner pre-meds who can't even wait a few more months to start bragging about how much their boyfriend's sister's brother told them about how to do well and beat out everyone else and how they already memorized netter's atlas.

thanks for trying the game of life.

typeB-md said:
negative, goose, the pattern is full.

actually, i am pointing out a legitimate problem with our current forum. i come here to have discussions with medical folks, not babysit gunner pre-meds who can't even wait a few more months to start bragging about how much their boyfriend's sister's brother told them about how to do well and beat out everyone else and how they already memorized netter's atlas.

thanks for trying the game of life.

You are so thick-headed. You don't want to discuss things, you want to incite controversy. Had you wanted to resolve this, you would have read the notes from many people on this forum saying that these threads are for exchanging information about our schools only, not for boasting... we all got in several months ago :rolleyes: and we're over it. You should be too.

neurdoscience said:
how many of those adjectives did you look up in the thesaurus? did you look up any synonyms for dick head? i'm sorry, did i not make an "intelligent" comment because of my language? your anal personality will not get you far in medicine...if you are complaining about the orginization of an INTERNET FORUM. COME ON... for christ's sake, how are you going to deal with patients , orginization of hospitals; how are you going to deal with life? you must not have one.

yadda, yadda...

for the same reason i cannot post obscenities and make 1000's of threads about my new set of pillow cases, people should not be allowed to clutter the main forum with what are, more or less, non-allopathic threads. you can argue, but you are a wrong.

andrew88 said:
Hey Mr. Thesaurus, didn't you mean Mr.-semi-colon-used-once-dude?
do you mean... mr. i-can-count-and-you-can't-dude?

give it a twice-over and you'll see it... i promise!

OmahaMX80 said:
real men of genius. today we salute you, mr.-can't-shut-his-pie-hole-complains-about-other-people's-grammar-but-can't-spell-salute.

yeah, really I don't expect people to spell correctly but if you're going to b*@ch about other people's grammar then you ought to at least correct any glaring errors in your own language.
oooh, good call. you sir, are the better man. touché on your catch of my misspelling. i will leave it unedited and wear it as a scarlet letter reminiscent of my chemistry days.

btw, how can you not expect medical students to spell correctly?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Type B, you're hilarious ! Keep it up...

mendel121 said:
Yea, but "Does med school make you hornier?" is a topic that must be discussed on this forum, or how about how we shouldn't be working to save babies who will obviously die soon, that's even better. Get off your high horse and enjoy life, sorry that the SDN forums are such a source of anger for you.

If you really wanted to stop this, you'd email/PM a mod, all you really wanted was to proclaim your superiority, well done.

Signed,

a 29 year-old "kiddie" with a PhD
hrm...

the "hornier" thread is not good. my thread regarding the abortion of genetically-corrupt fetuses, however, was a good point of discussion. because you cannot tolerate other's opinions, it is not my fault.

also, if i can spend a second on the PhD issue. if you get a PhD, that is great. and if you get a PhD and go to medical school, that is swell as well. but it is far more difficult to get an MD, and acquisition of a PhD prior to your MD just lets me know that you had to use the backdoor into medicine. I appreciate your steadfastness, though.

Entei said:
roflcopter.gif

"Little kiddies!" lol I love it. Let the hazing begin!

Guys, whatever you may think about Type-B, you're going to encounter tons of people like him in that magical land of puppies and sunshine called medical school. As you claw and scrape your way up that totem pole of medical hierarchy, there's ALWAYS going to be someone higher up reminding you that you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake, and no amount of "real world" outside experience is going to make a difference. You may not believe me now, but you'll understand in a few months.

:love: Type-B for keeping it real
will you be my parent?

criminallyinane said:
You are so thick-headed. You don't want to discuss things, you want to incite controversy. Had you wanted to resolve this, you would have read the notes from many people on this forum saying that these threads are for exchanging information about our schools only, not for boasting... we all got in several months ago :rolleyes: and we're over it. You should be too.
i could be mistaken, but i believe that you have used a personal attack.

Harassment and Flaming

The Student Doctor Network members are not permitted to harass or "flame" other members. Please do not post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. Please note that this also includes the posting of taunts on a forum solely for the purpose of deriding that forum's topic and/or members.

i do not appreciate such remarks. i understand that you may have been heated when you wrote such a hateful remark, but i can only give you one warning. the next offense will require notification of your behavior to the moderators.

typeB-md said:
please, for the love of everything holy and sacrosanct within the medical community, can you learn how to use proper language?
I have wondered for 21 years why people do not like physicians on the whole. Like why do so many people view physicians as snobbish elitist jerks that are out to sc*w them over medically and financially?
Although this view is false I have been meeting enough people like the OP this summer to realize they are ruining it for the rest of us.

The standards are not lower these days - uptight jerks like you just make it easier for the cool people to get it..(“and I am prettier than you..b*tch!”)

That's okay - the tone of the thread - from the title down, was negative and doomed to spiral. I'll close this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.