Can students not drink alcohol?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MustyElbow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is so random, but I was looking at handbooks for some schools I will be interviewing at in the coming months. One of these schools said students are subject to drug and alcohol testing and can be disciplined for a positive test. Does this mean that as a medical student, you can't drink any alcohol or you can be reprimanded? This seems kind of odd to me

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure they're talking about testing entering students. Medical students can and do drink alcohol.

I'm pretty sure they're talking about testing entering students. Medical students can and do drink alcohol.

Gotcha. But if I'm 21 and have alcohol in my system when I enter I can't start school? I don't see the reasoning

Members don't see this ad :)
Some religious schools don't allow alcohol at anytime for students. Don't drink before anything official /don't be an alcoholic and you should be good at most schools

Reactions: 3 users
More for precaution during rotations in terms of students partying all night, then coming in to the hospital still buzzed. It has nothing to do with didactic years. Hell, I guarantee there have been people still under the influence that come in to the testing center and take quizzes.

Reactions: 1 users
This is so random, but I was looking at handbooks for some schools I will be interviewing at in the coming months. One of these schools said students are subject to drug and alcohol testing and can be disciplined for a positive test. Does this mean that as a medical student, you can't drink any alcohol or you can be reprimanded? This seems kind of odd to me

at the interview or just in general throughout the 4 years?

Alcohol testing would probably be while “on duty”. You can’t drink at/before class or clinical rotations.

Unless it’s a religious university. They have some 24/7 “rules”.

At my school, we have some school sponsored evening events with alcohol, and even had a “booze cruise” with the faculty during orientation week.

Reactions: 1 user
Alcohol testing would probably be while “on duty”. You can’t drink at/before class or clinical rotations.

Unless it’s a religious university. They have some 24/7 “rules”.

At my school, we have some school sponsored evening events with alcohol, and even had a “booze cruise” with the faculty during orientation week.

Are you at Loyola by any chance?

I had an alcohol screening with my drug test prior to matriculation. However, if I review the report that my school has, the alcohol section is completely blank. So, I'm not sure if they actually cared or what.

Many employers (and possibly schools) do this to catch people with an alcohol problem. If it's an announced test, and you don't have a problem, you'll make sure you pass. Those with alcohol problems will often be unable to clear their system for a test.

Reactions: 2 users