Accepted to LECOM. When is the due date for the drug/alcohol screening??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr dingleberry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to submit the $1500 by mid January but after that they'll tell me where to go for the drug test. How long approximately do you think I'll have between now and the time I actually have to take this test? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it'd be more helpful for you to re-post this in the school-specific section.

Reactions: 1 user
Hijacking this thread to ask about your Lecom acceptance. My status post-interview was changed to "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." but I did not receive an email from that. Does that mean I'm just waiting on a rejection letter? Did they send you an email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alcohol screening, what? Elaborate?

Hijacking this thread to ask about your Lecom acceptance. My status post-interview was changed to "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." but I did not receive an email from that. Does that mean I'm just waiting on a rejection letter? Did they send you an email?
They send acceptance letters through the mail, like the actual mail. No emails.

Reactions: 1 users
If there is alcohol in your blood. Don't drink for like 48 hours before the test, I believe.

when did you interview ? and how long did it take to see that status ?

If there is alcohol in your blood. Don't drink for like 48 hours before the test, I believe.

Why do they care about the amount of alcohol in your blood, from up to two days ago?

So getting drunk a couple days before work in seen as "bad"?

They will send you an Email with a matriculation packet. Within that packet it will explain what you need and give you date it must be completed by.

Why do they care about the amount of alcohol in your blood, from up to two days ago?

So getting drunk a couple days before work in seen as "bad"?
Yeah. Quite silly imo. I just didn’t drink for a couple days priori

They will send you an Email with a matriculation packet. Within that packet it will explain what you need and give you date it must be completed by.
Yes I know this I am wondering if anyone has opened said packet and if so how long a time frame do I have for the test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I know this I am wondering if anyone has opened said packet and if so how long a time frame do I have for the test?

it was like 2 and a half maybe 3 months.

Last edited:
Although you shouldn't be jeopardizing a license by partaking in illicit substances, I guess this is a legitimate question.

My preemployment alcohol screen was a mouth swab, so no mints, moutwash, toothpaste, etc. 15 to 30 minutes before the test. Also, realize (unlike I did), the UDS in most places is no longer visually monitored (we did this at the suboxone clinic we rotated through at PCOM). I had to repeat my UDS because my urine was too dilute because I drank about 3 to 4 liters of water thinking someone was going to visualize me peeing into the cup.

are rejections also sent in mail ? my status shows that the admissions committee has made a decision, so may that be a rejection ?

when did you interview ? and how long did it take to see that status ?

Interviewed November 1st, there was a delay with getting my letter of recommendations in, so that status didn't show up until December 22nd. However, I just got my acceptance letter in the mail!

are rejections also sent in mail ? my status shows that the admissions committee has made a decision, so may that be a rejection ?
It could be, but that's how my status was and I just got my acceptance letter in the mail today!

What if the state you’re from has legal drugs that are illegal in other states

Doesn't matter. It's against the rules for being a student at the school.

For example, I was accepted to RVU in Colorado. Still can't test positive for any drugs lol. In fact, they required a drug test within 30 days of acceptance, and I suspect the reason they made us get it done so fast was because they know certain things are legal in their state and didn't want to appear lax

Doesn't matter. It's against the rules for being a student at the school.

For example, I was accepted to RVU in Colorado. Still can't test positive for any drugs lol. In fact, they required a drug test within 30 days of acceptance, and I suspect the reason they made us get it done so fast was because they know certain things are legal in their state and didn't want to appear lax
Are you from Colorado tho?

No, but a lot of the other interviewees were and we were all told we had to follow the same procedure.
I bet some moved to CO for that reason, and now they can't do that for the next 4 years?
If it's legal in the state how can they not allow it in the school?

I bet some moved to CO for that reason, and now they can't do that for the next 4 years?
Yeah I wanna know too. It’s legal now in CA as well..wonder what the Cali schools say about this. Especially if you have a medical card

Substances can be legal in your state while still against your workplace drug policy.
Source: lived in one of the earliest legalization states. HR at my company at the time sent a multitude of emails making this abundantly clear (random drug testing was allowed per policy, but I don't know anyone who was tested before or after legalization).

Substances can be legal in your state while still against your workplace drug policy.
Source: lived in one of the earliest legalization states. HR at my company at the time sent a multitude of emails making this abundantly clear (random drug testing was allowed per policy, but I don't know anyone who was tested before or after legalization).
But I wonder if it’s different if you have a medical necessity? I mean I know besides weed there are plenty of drugs out there legal (prescribed of course) for certain medicinal purposes.

But I wonder if it’s different if you have a medical necessity? I mean I know besides weed there are plenty of drugs out there legal (prescribed of course) for certain medicinal purposes.
That are approved by the federal government. The federal government still considers marijuanna to have no medicinal purpose.

My school doesn’t do drug or alcohol tests. It’s weird, but my same school tests the pharmacy students.

Just signed up for the LECOM background/drug test stuff, what do they have you do for the screening?
If you could please help, when did you receive your matriculation packet and how long do they give you to complete the drug test?

Dang, y’all reviving this thread? Drug and alcohol screening is usually urine screening. If positive, they do more sensitive testing (GC-MS) to confirm positives. If you are wondering, initial screening cut off is 50 nanograms per ml for THC. You will most likely get more answers about the matriculation package in the school specific thread.

I know these are old, but...

Its illegal federally. Even more so, medical boards and most states where it is legal explicitly state that physicians can't be using it. Nobody wants their doc high, and doing so could easily cost you your license.

Just the fact that you have to take a controlled substance, whether for a medical condition or not, will be something that will come up during licensing and may prevent you from even being licensed. I have colleagues that take prescribed stimulants for well established ADHD, and the extra hoops they have to jump through for licensing depending on the state is ridiculous. And to be clear, this is for federally legal substances, not things like marijuana.

Yeah I wanna know too. It’s legal now in CA as well..wonder what the Cali schools say about this. Especially if you have a medical card

I'm just going to say it one last time to be clear. Using illicit substances, even if you have a medical/registration card from your state could, and likely will jeopardize your medical license. If you are planning to be a doctor, plan on not using substances.

Also, for good measure, if you are going to be working as a med student or physician, plan on only doing so with a BAL of 0 - i.e. don't drink if you won't be able to clear that alcohol by the time your shift starts.