Can programs see your electives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When applying for residency, can the program see your entire transcript and see which electives you did fourth year? I ask because for students pursuing competitive specialties wanting to dual apply, programs would see most electives in the competitive specialty..is this correct?

Members don't see this ad.

They see whatever is on your transcript when you submit in September. So probably whatever your first three electives were in 4th year.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it possible to dual apply surgical subspecialty with rads or anesthesia? Rads, from what I have gathered don't really care if you do auditions or rotations, but wouldnt that raise questions if electives are all one other specialty?

Is it possible to dual apply surgical subspecialty with rads or anesthesia? Rads, from what I have gathered don't really care if you do auditions or rotations, but wouldnt that raise questions if electives are all one other specialty?
Yes to both. You can apply to however many specialties your heart desires and your wallet can fund. But if your transcript shows that you spent the beginning of the year doing a bunch of audition ortho rotations, the anesthesia and rads programs will probably assume that you're using them as a backup.

Yes to both. You can apply to however many specialties your heart desires and your wallet can fund. But if your transcript shows that you spent the beginning of the year doing a bunch of audition ortho rotations, the anesthesia and rads programs will probably assume that you're using them as a backup.

But is there any way around this? It’s kinda sketchy throwing all eggs in one basket.

When applying for residency, can the program see your entire transcript and see which electives you did fourth year? I ask because for students pursuing competitive specialties wanting to dual apply, programs would see most electives in the competitive specialty..is this correct?
They see whatever is on your transcript submitted by your school. Some schools list upcoming rotations on said transcripts. Some don't.

But is there any way around this? It’s kinda sketchy throwing all eggs in one basket.
I'm applying to 3+ specialties (EM, OB, Surg and Psych). I'm only going to let them know if they ask in interviews. I think that's what a good chunk of people do. I've known others who have done similar things and still matched their number 1 in surgical specialties. So I don't think it is anything to sweat. Just be open and honest. Also, apply broadly so that programs are less likely to communicate to one another.

I'm applying to 3+ specialties (EM, OB, Surg and Psych). I'm only going to let them know if they ask in interviews. I think that's what a good chunk of people do. I've known others who have done similar things and still matched their number 1 in surgical specialties. So I don't think it is anything to sweat. Just be open and honest. Also, apply broadly so that programs are less likely to communicate to one another.
What on earth do those 4 fields have to do with each other? They all take care of crazy people?

Reactions: 1 users
But not sketchy to try to deceive programs you're applying to?

I am not trying to pull any "funny business." I am seriously scared and trying to think ahead (plan b) if I don't match into my #1 specialty. I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Radiology is actually what I came into medicine for in the beginning, but I also love surgery. I would be 100% happy in either specialty. I am only asking because I can see why the the "#2" specialty would think that they are a backup.

I am not trying to pull any "funny business." I am seriously scared and trying to think ahead (plan b) if I don't match into my #1 specialty. I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Radiology is actually what I came into medicine for in the beginning, but I also love surgery. I would be 100% happy in either specialty. I am only asking because I can see why the the "#2" specialty would think that they are a backup.
There's only 1 answer to your question that is even remotely relevant, and that's whatever your Dean's office says about what the include on your ERAS transcript. As mentioned before, some cut it off at the end of M3. Some only include grades that are in at the time they release it. Some include everything you're signed up for until the end of M4.

Your school isn't going to change the rules for you, so the best you can do at this point is just ask what their policy is and plan accordingly.

And there are plenty of people who double apply. You're not alone in this. And I think Rads and Gas are used to playing 2nd fiddle to surgery.

There's only 1 answer to your question that is even remotely relevant, and that's whatever your Dean's office says about what the include on your ERAS transcript. As mentioned before, some cut it off at the end of M3. Some only include grades that are in at the time they release it. Some include everything you're signed up for until the end of M4.

Your school isn't going to change the rules for you, so the best you can do at this point is just ask what their policy is and plan accordingly.

And there are plenty of people who double apply. You're not alone in this. And I think Rads and Gas are used to playing 2nd fiddle to surgery.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your insight.

Assuming you aren't trolling, this is a foolish plan. Pick one field and go with it.

Reactions: 1 users
2 fields I can sort of understand if your first choice field is highly competitive and you need a backup. 3+ Makes absolutely no sense. you just need to decide what you really want to do with your life.

Reactions: 3 users