Can LORs be sent directly to PDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hammersmith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got myself into an unique situation. My letter writers say that they will send the LORs directly (by USPS) to the PDs/programs. I waived my rights to see the letters. I was under the impression that for american medical graduates the dean's office scans them and uploads them to ERAS.

There are a few logistical problems to this. I am applying to about 30 programs and that is a lot stamps for the writer. Also, when should the letters reach the programs - after or before I apply to them. Not to mention, I need to dig out all the addresses from the websites.

Someone, who had dealt with this, please clarify.

Members don't see this ad.

hammersmith said:
I've got myself into an unique situation. My letter writers say that they will send the LORs directly (by USPS) to the PDs/programs. I waived my rights to see the letters. I was under the impression that for american medical graduates the dean's office scans them and uploads them to ERAS.

There are a few logistical problems to this. I am applying to about 30 programs and that is a lot stamps for the writer. Also, when should the letters reach the programs - after or before I apply to them. Not to mention, I need to dig out all the addresses from the websites.

Someone, who had dealt with this, please clarify.

Why would they need to do this? It defeats the purpose of ERAS. Most programs probably won't even accept application materials outside of ERAS unless they specifically request it directly from you. Just ask your letter writers to follow the normal protocol.

your letter writers are probably not familiar with ERAS. just let them know what to do........

I have a letter writer who sent personalized letters to PDs he knew - he mailed the general letter (with the phrase dear PD) with his institution's stationery to my Dean's office for me to click and send to programs. What is your opinion of this? He is familiar with ERAS as well.

I agree - it sounds like they are not familiar with ERAS. If however, they wish to:

a) write separate letters specifically addressed to each PD you can have those sent and uploaded as distinct letters to ERAS. There didn't use to be a limit on the number of different letters you could upload.

or

b) if they actually know and have a good relationship with a specific PD or two, it would not be out of line for them to write a short note (or better yet, call) that person IN ADDITION to the standard LOR.

ERAS was designed in part to eliminate the amount of paperwork for everyone involved. While the LORS are not as personalized, everyone understands that is the trade-off and as noted above, if you need a little extra help, have the writers send another more personal letter or call the PD.