MD Wearing engagement ring on rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Happily got engaged with my SO recently. I am an M3 on rotations and wondered if wearing my engagement ring would be ok on rotations (not surgery or anything with repeated gloving). Obviously I will not talk about my personal life unless asked. Wondering if attendings/residents would think some ways about me and if I would be safer without wearing the ring, or if I am just overthinking this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s absolutely fine. You will see some nurses and physicians wear their ring(s) on a necklace if they are in the OR or need to wash their hands frequently.
Congratulations on your engagement!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Happily got engaged with my SO recently. I am an M3 on rotations and wondered if wearing my engagement ring would be ok on rotations (not surgery or anything with repeated gloving). Obviously I will not talk about my personal life unless asked. Wondering if attendings/residents would think some ways about me and if I would be safer without wearing the ring, or if I am just overthinking this.

You're way overthinking it. No one is going to get bent out of shape about this.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
You're way overthinking it. No one is going to get bent out of shape about this.
Wear it if you want to, but stash it away on surg/Ob rotations so you don’t lose it in the pocket of scrubs
Added shield against being asked out by coworkers, who can now see you are engaged…

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations. Nothing wrong with wearing it. Not even kidding, being married does kind of give a small amount of maturity clout with some attendings and residents, or at least something to bond and talk about, which is nice.

My wife recommends wearing a faux gold band during work hours. I wear a silicon band for comfort.

Her reasoning is it can get caught when donning and doffing gloves so you might lose it in the trash, especially if you have a poke-y gemstone. Also risk of theft and the wear-and-tear of having it in the hospital. White gold in particular can be worn by the excessive use of hand sanitizer. If we lose or break it, then it's easy to replace.

Reactions: 3 users
I’ve never thought twice about wearing my wedding ring during rotations. You’re overthinking it

Reactions: 1 user
Yea man. Everybody is married. Preggers x ∞ = questionable, even pregnant is not a big deal these days at most places. U are being a med student bro :)