This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jacksparrow246

Reaction score
Hi,

I failed my COMLEX level 1 the first time and got a 408 the second time
I failed my COMLEX level 2 CS the first time and passed the second time
I failed my COMLEX level 2 CE two times and got a 409 the third time

My scores are super low, and im taking my Comlex level 3 soon, but am concerned if I'll even get a position in any residency program
Im looking for something in internal medicine or family medicine.
I'm willing to apply anywhere in the 50 states, as broad as possible, for a position.

If anyone could give me some advice or words of encouragement that it is still possible, I would really appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

My scores are super low, and im taking my Comlex level 3 soon, but am concerned if I'll even get a position in any residency program
I'm willing to apply anywhere in the 50 states, as broad as possible, for a position.

If anyone could give me some advice or words of encouragement that it is still possible, I would really appreciate it
How are you taking comlex level 3 without being in a residency program?

Hi,

anything is possible, whether it's likely that's a different question. Question is what is making you fail all these exams?

How are you taking comlex level 3 without being in a residency program?
I didn't get accepted into a residency program last year, and my school gave me an NBOME exemption permitting me to take it prior to residency to get it out of the way. It would make my application more competitive

anything is possible, whether it's likely that's a different question. Question is what is making you fail all these exams?
I feel like whatever I study is always low yield. I finished uworld 2 times completely and did the wrongs as well for both exams and got the scores I got...
Idk why its like that but no matter how hard I try I always struggle with exams. It never existed in high school or undergrad. It just started in med school, and all throughout med school.
Its quite psychologically debilitating to feel so stupid no matter how hard I try

always low yield. I
I feel like whatever I study is always low yield. I finished uworld 2 times completely and did the wrongs as well for both exams and got the scores I got...
Idk why its like that but no matter how hard I try I always struggle with exams. It never existed in high school or undergrad. It just started in med school, and all throughout med school.
Its quite psychologically debilitating to feel so stupid no matter how hard I try
Sorry to hear that. Part of the problem too is that you have to consider boards. Boards suck as well. I mean the problem is also all the competition that there is out there. Makes it hard to not get filtered out.

I didn't get accepted into a residency program last year, and my school gave me an NBOME exemption permitting me to take it prior to residency to get it out of the way. It would make my application more competitive
Unless you fail that too…your track record isn’t that great… what makes you think you can pass it on the first try?

Reactions: 2 users
Can you be more specific about your last application cycle? What did you apply for, how many apps, and how many interviews? And what was your exam status -- had you passed everything or were you still awaiting your Level 2 score?

Reactions: 1 user
Can you be more specific about your last application cycle? What did you apply for, how many apps, and how many interviews? And what was your exam status -- had you passed everything or were you still awaiting your Level 2 score?
Last application cycle my level 2 passing score came late. I got 0 interviews, and i had 5 letters of rec
I don't remember the exact date but it was mid February when I got my score back, and all the interviews had more or less closed at that point.
I am applying for family med and internal medicine
I didn't scramble into anything either

Unless you fail that too…your track record isn’t that great… what makes you think you can pass it on the first try?
Honestly, im not sure, im really struggling right now and am not scoring near the 350 range. Im thinking of just postponing the test, but interviews are gonna start rolling in soon and I won't have a level 3 score in at that point.

Honestly, im not sure, im really struggling right now and am not scoring near the 350 range. Im thinking of just postponing the test, but interviews are gonna start rolling in soon and I won't have a level 3 score in at that point.
Frankly, I don’t think it really will add to you application…if you are not confident you will pass it, it could be a hinderance and not a help.
So you have all passed scores to report now, right?
Apply to as many places as you can, esp DO friendly places…previously AOA programs should be high on your list…
Is there anyone…a PD, a faculty member involved in residency selection you can make an appt with and discuss your application? They could give you a better idea of what you need to do .
You do need a better answer for why you have not done well with your boards and how you were able to turn things around and passed… you will be asked about it.

Reactions: 1 users

Do not take it until you are ready. Another failure would likely be the final nail in your attempt to get a training spot.

Reactions: 4 users
Last application cycle my level 2 passing score came late. I got 0 interviews, and i had 5 letters of rec
I don't remember the exact date but it was mid February when I got my score back, and all the interviews had more or less closed at that point.
I am applying for family med and internal medicine
I didn't scramble into anything either
How many apps did you send? If you didn't already do so and have the financial means, I would apply to literally every rural FM and IM program in the country. Having a passing Level 2 score may help. What else are you doing this year?

As others have said, if you take Level 3 you absolutely need to pass it. I do think it would help you if you can pass, but you can't just close your eyes and hope for the best. Unfortunately, you're in an extremely tenuous spot as I think each year you get further from graduation it will become increasingly difficult to match, so you're going to need to make a judgement call on whether to take the test based on your practices scores at the time.

Do NOT take Level 3 unless you are scoring well into the 400s on practice tests. You need to pass on first round for this one. It does not help you at all to fail and I agree with others that it will make things exponentially worse. Postpone until you are sure you can pass the thing.

I would agree, you need a very broad application. I would also add in prelim spots too. You need to apply broadly and your priority needs to be completing at least a year of GME so you can at least work in some states. Obviously a categorical program is better, but your first priority is to find anything, then if you have a choice in the matter, you can rank categorical spots higher.

I would also consider applying to your home institution if that's an option. Both IM and FM are becoming more competitive these days. I would look into fields that are more understanding of short comings like this because they certainly do exist.

I would also consider applying to your home institution if that's an option. Both IM and FM are becoming more competitive these days. I would look into fields that are more understanding of short comings like this because they certainly do exist.
What fields in particular? Psych? and anything else besides that?

Psychiatry is a good one to look into as well. Knowing a program director or someone who can recommend you helps a lot too. That alone is probably the strongest thing and will even give you a chance for a more competitive specialty or in a more competitive program. I recommend focusing on looking for a connection like this (whether it is through an attending, school dean, etc.) and keeps your hopes up.

What fields in particular? Psych? and anything else besides that?
IM and FM are more reasonable goals than Psych. There are plenty of lower tier IM or FM programs, and unlike Psych they often have openings in the SOAP.

I agree that having connections would be helpful, but your best bets will be with IM and FM (and prelim spots). All specialties are "more competitive" than they were before, but that doesn't change which will afford you the best chance.

Psychiatry is a good one to look into as well. Knowing a program director or someone who can recommend you helps a lot too. That alone is probably the strongest thing and will even give you a chance for a more competitive specialty or in a more competitive program. I recommend focusing on looking for a connection like this (whether it is through an attending, school dean, etc.) and keeps your hopes up.
I have a hard time seeing someone with 4 board failures matching psychiatry.

OP also look at licensure requirements, some states have a 3 or less fails policy, but in many of them COMLEX isn’t specified.
states that do have specifications outside of your stats I wouldn’t bother applying to.

Reactions: 1 users
223, 221 both first pass. CS - 3rd attempt pass. Past 2 years of applying have gotten only 2 interviews. Tbh, I’ve ran out of decorating or spinning those attempts to something positive. I just failed cause I didn’t take the exam srsly, didn’t Care for it and ran out of time finishing the note in 10mins both times I failed. Idk. I have worked hard since to keep my clinical exposure as a researcher with immense patient exposure, job as a clinical trainer, and now externship at heme Onc clinic. And have really learned a lot during those experiences where I think it’s also a shame no one will consider me as they look at the two attempts and just don’t care or think “he don’t care”. Just so hard to explain that “yeah I didn’t care at the time for some BS exam, but I’m trying to make up for it” I don’t think im incompetent. Heck I passed it on 3rd attempt, I just have only gained since. Idk. Just losing hope. I’m not a creative writer to spin it ina positive way, every patient and mentor of mine has loved me. Half the time I don’t remember the good I do to remember to write because I don’t have my mind programmed to remember or gloat abt it, I feel like that’s just they way ure supposed to be. Just a shame I may not ever be a doc