Can I figure out my match on March 17th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MBK2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation, I am applying for 4-yr residency positions, and all but one of the schools that I ranked are PGY-1 positions. However, my number one choice has set up their NRMP numbers so that you rank them as a PGY-2 advanced position and then attach your supplemental list of prelim PGY-1 positions that they offer. In other words, I ranked Hospital #1 as my primary rank, and then added the supplemental list of Hospital A and Hospital B which are the two sites where they send people for 6 months of medicine in PGY-1.

My real question is, will I be able to tell from the info I receive from NRMP on March 17th if I matched at my number one program? If I match at this program will I receive notification that I matched in a PGY-1 position and a PGY-2 position? If they tell me that I only matched for a 4-yr PGY-1 position, then I won't know how far down on my list I am going. However, for purposes of my spouse accepting or refusing job offers in the city that's our number one choice, this info would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To the best of my understanding, this is how it works... for people applying to fields in which most of the positions are PGY-2/Advanced positions (e.g. the ROAD specialties), they will receive an e-mail stating one of four things:

1) Congratulations you have matched - this means you matched for both PGY-1 and PGY-2

2) We're sorry but you did not match - this means you matched neither PGY-1 or PGY-2, and have to scramble for both

3) Congratulations you have matched to an advanced position - this means you matched PGY-2, and have to scramble for PGY-1

4) Congratulations you have matched to a preliminary position - this means you matched PGY-1 only, and have to scramble for PGY-2

For people applying to Categorical fields (e.g. IM, FP, Peds) or those applying to Categorical ROAD programs (all your programs except your #1 which is Advanced), your e-mail on the 17th will say either 1 or 2 from above.

So, my guess is that the only way you will know on the 17th where you matched is if your e-mail says #3 from above, and that would mean you matched PGY-2 with your #1 choice, but didn't match on the corresponding Supplemental list. O/w, if you match for both or anywhere else on your Primary, your e-mail will read like #1.

That that make sense? If anybody finds error in my logic or info, please do correct me. Good luck to everyone :cool: ...

A further variation on that question...

Say you are couples matching, your partner is doing a categorical and you are doing an advanced + prelim. If your partner matches categorical and you match advanced, but you did not match in a prelim, is there anyway you can find out the location where you both matched together in order to try to scramble into a prelim in that location?

Or are you screwed and just have to guess where you matched, and if you are wrong, be forced to spend 1 year apart?

Originally posted by Dr. Cuts
To the best of my understanding, this is how it works... for people applying to fields in which most of the positions are PGY-2/Advanced positions (e.g. the ROAD specialties), they will receive an e-mail stating one of four things....

I'm so glad someone asked this question. I've been wondering about it for a while now since there's a good chance I'll be scrambling for a prelim spot.

So Cuts, when/what time on Monday do the send you this e-mail?

Originally posted by H&P-Stat
So Cuts, when/what time on Monday do the send you this e-mail?

At noon EST. We then have 24 hours to get our stuff together to scramble--new Personal Statements, LoRs, transcripts, evals, etc.--then on Tuesday March 18th the list of all the unfilled spots in the nation is posted, and the Scramble begins. Some programs will accept appys through ERAS, some will take them by fax, some will accept both/either methods. What I'm gonna do is have all my stuff scanned and in my hard drive, ready to fax directly out of my computer. I'll first fax to any programs I'm interested in, and I'll follow that up by transmitting my appy through ERAS as well. Then I'll get on the phone and start calling. If and when I get through to a PD, I'll beg and grovel shamelessly. :(

Again, if anything I posted so far is inaccurate, please someone correct me. Good luck everyone :cool: .

Once again Cuts, you've delivered me from ignorance. Another question... suppose I don't match with a PGY 1 program, but am successful in matching with a PGY 2 spot. Will the e-mail in question tell us where we've matched in the Advanced program? If not, who tells us where we're going? If we find out a few days before the rest of the gang, scrambling seems like a sweet deal!

However, for purposes of my spouse accepting or refusing job offers in the city that's our number one choice, this info would be really helpful.

Thanks! [/B]

Dude, you will find out THREE DAYS later where you match. How the hell is 3 days gonna matter for your wife to find a job? Take an Ativan.

Originally posted by H&P-Stat
suppose I don't match with a PGY 1 program, but am successful in matching with a PGY 2 spot. Will the e-mail in question tell us where we've matched in the Advanced program?

AFAIK no it won't tell you where you matched PGY-2. But that shouldn't matter bro... just scramble for someplace sunny with water and a high # of bikinis per capita.

:hardy: :clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

Actually during my school's MATCH informational meeting they told us if we matched for a PGY-2 advanced positons and needed to scramble for our prelim PGY-1 spot, they would notify us where we matched for PGY-2 so we could plan accordingly. I hope this helps.

Beezar - I have been told that a general geographic area will be identified in the event you and your other half both match to a primary but not your prelim. Good luck!