USMLE ; CAN I DO THIS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freshstart91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i am new to this forum and i really hope i can get help here I am an IMG, due to graduate this month.
I pretty much dragged myself through med school with terrible grades (65) and even failed a number of classes (I put in minimal effort to say the least).
I tried to put in a little more effort (still not my maximum) during my rotations and i did a little better, but i am still hunted by my insufficient basic science foundation".
I intend to study for the USMLE step ! for 6 months and fully commit to it, putting in the best that i can.
I intend use the following
KAPLAN REVIEW BOOKS
USMLE RX
PATHOMA
FIRST AID
U WORLD
I intend to score 240-260
i know this may seem laughable to some but i really believe that i can do this if i put in maximum effort. Does anyone else feel the same way and are these materials sufficient?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Im an IMG too. School grade are hardly any predictor of USMLE scores. Commit yourself, yes you can do it!
Im at initial study phase too, incase you look for sp!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

I am no longer interested in taking the test and I am selling my UWORLD subscription (ending in Feb 2018). let me know if you are interested, dm me

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no replacement for a weak foundation and your scores are ambitious even for good students.
So no.

I would actually do Boards and Beyond over all the Kaplan stuff. It's a better way to get through First Aid. I would probably do a NBME to see where you are and if you mange to get your NBMEs up to your target range then a score like that will be feasible too.

Reactions: 1 user
You can most certainly do this. Most people forget most of what they learned in preclinical years anyways. I know that by the time second year started, I had forgotten most of what I had learned in first year. It will also definitely require a lot of time and effort, both of which you need to be willing to put in.

Hello, i am new to this forum and i really hope i can get help here I am an IMG, due to graduate this month.
I pretty much dragged myself through med school with terrible grades (65) and even failed a number of classes (I put in minimal effort to say the least).
I tried to put in a little more effort (still not my maximum) during my rotations and i did a little better, but i am still hunted by my insufficient basic science foundation".
I intend to study for the USMLE step ! for 6 months and fully commit to it, putting in the best that i can.
I intend use the following
KAPLAN REVIEW BOOKS
USMLE RX
PATHOMA
FIRST AID
U WORLD
I intent to score 240-260
i know this may seem laughable to some but i really believe that i can do this if i put in maximum effort. Does anyone else feel the same way and are these materials sufficient?
Thank you

I am also an IMG and started studying for the Step 1 about 4 months back, I plan to appear for step 1 this December. I was pretty sh**t too, passed my first two years with about 68%. My UWSA 1(1 month back) was 260 and my NBME 19 toay was 246. I think i am in 250-260 category. The material are almost identical, I did DIT too. I think I can do it, and if I can, so can you! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Just do Kaplan then Fa ,pathoma and UW, I know people from my medical school who failed multiple times but got 255 in step 1 and 259 in ck. Do it well , take your time, study these only.

I am also an IMG and started studying for the Step 1 about 4 months back, I plan to appear for step 1 this December. I was pretty sh**t too, passed my first two years with about 68%. My UWSA 1(1 month back) was 260 and my NBME 19 toay was 246. I think i am in 250-260 category. The material are almost identical, I did DIT too. I think I can do it, and if I can, so can you! Good luck!
wow thank you so much. That is a lot of progress in just 4 months. Good luck to you too. Please keep me updated on your progress. All the best

You can most certainly do this. Most people forget most of what they learned in preclinical years anyways. I know that by the time second year started, I had forgotten most of what I had learned in first year. It will also definitely require a lot of time and effort, both of which you need to be willing to put in.
I am willing to put in the effort and I am grateful this thread is filled with nothing but positive thoughts. Thank you so much

I would actually do Boards and Beyond over all the Kaplan stuff. It's a better way to get through First Aid. I would probably do a NBME to see where you are and if you mange to get your NBMEs up to your target range then a score like that will be feasible too.
Boards and Beyond? Never heard of it *covers face* but i will look into it. Thanks