Can I apply late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureherooftime622

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been doing a lot of research into this. So I'm an IMG and I am starting a course for my USMLE STEP 1. It begins middle of July and ends the first week of Nov. Will I be able to apply late? Its just I don't want to have to waste a year. I'm hoping I'll get something.

Members don't see this ad.

As an IMG, no program will look at your app without STEP 2CK and CS scores...unless you want to waste your money..
and you won't even have a step 1 score by the time ERAS open in Sept. Just wait a year and when you have all steps taken...apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you trying to apply if you haven't taken step 2 CS/CK let alone step 1???? Has no one at your school told you what you need to apply for residencies? You're at least a year away from applying

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

I've been doing a lot of research into this. So I'm an IMG and I am starting a course for my USMLE STEP 1. It begins middle of July and ends the first week of Nov. Will I be able to apply late? Its just I don't want to have to waste a year. I'm hoping I'll get something.
NO! as an IMG, you should have ALL your scores when applying AND apply as soon as ERAS opens. I applied last year without CK (I got it in November) and didn't match. Even though I knew I hadn't many chances, it was really hard finding out that I didn't match.
SO I STRONGLY discourage you applying this year, it is 10000% certain that you will not match. Just think logically, why would a PD give you an IV? Even if you have a superb resume, who would guarantee a PD that you are going to pass 3 examinations in just a 9 month period (if you apply early) or the 2 remaining examinations (if you apply late...AND if you apply late, most ivs will have been given) ??
I know the feeling of "wasting a year" but in your case, you really have many many many things to do (steps, obs, externships...), you won't have any time to waste, I can assure you about that!

NO! as an IMG, you should have ALL your scores when applying AND apply as soon as ERAS opens. I applied last year without CK (I got it in November) and didn't match. Even though I knew I hadn't many chances, it was really hard finding out that I didn't match.
SO I STRONGLY discourage you applying this year, it is 10000% certain that you will not match. Just think logically, why would a PD give you an IV? Even if you have a superb resume, who would guarantee a PD that you are going to pass 3 examinations in just a 9 month period (if you apply early) or the 2 remaining examinations (if you apply late...AND if you apply late, most ivs will have been given) ??
I know the feeling of "wasting a year" but in your case, you really have many many many things to do (steps, obs, externships...), you won't have any time to waste, I can assure you about that!
hi thank for the input. I'm a US IMG and was think of applying either late or without CK but with my step 1 and cs. My Ck would come back most likely in the 3rd week of sep. Whats ur input on that?

Reactions: 1 user
I think that you are in a much much better position than I was last year.
First of all you are a US IMG, I was (and am) nonUS.
Secondly, I got my ck mid November. You will have it just a few days after Sep 15th.
I would say that you will probably be fine. I suppose that it will not hurt you much, whatever you do.
However it would be better to have your ck by sep 15th. A few days wont have a great effect on your score, so I recommend that you take your ck one week earlier and apply on time with all your scores.