Taking Step/Level 1 Late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benjamin87

Sensei-in-training
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if there are any downsides I may not have thought of if taking my board exam at the end of summer vs early-mid summer. Only reason is to give myself more time to review/do questions.

Curiously, what is the reasoning behind many schools recommending their students sit by late June if rotations do not start until late July/August?

Thanks for your responses! ✌️

Members don't see this ad.

My school doesn’t pull anyone, but it really is just tremendously inconvenient to be studying for boards and clerkships at the same time. Clerkships are tiring enough as it is, especially as a fresh third year on your first rotation, and you run that risk if you schedule your boards for the end of July but don’t like where your practice tests are and have to push back. Better to schedule earlier to give yourself some wiggle room.

You also might have less time than you think to study if you push back and your first few rotations are busy. I had IM first with the resident team and I was there from 6a-6p five days a week. If I’d had to study for step 1 during that, I feel like I would have almost certainly started forgetting things and would have seen my scores drop.

Reactions: 1 user