Can DPMs perform Electromyography (EMG/NCS) studies in Virginia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greco13

PT, DPT, ECS, OCS, ATC
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it within their scope of practice for DPMs perform Electromyography (EMG/NCS) studies in Virginia? Realize it's uncommon but is it legal? I see the Code of Virginia medicine seems to lump MD,DO, and DPM together for what that's worth.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it within their scope of practice for DPMs perform Electromyography (EMG/NCS) studies in Virginia? Realize it's uncommon but is it legal? I see the Code of Virginia medicine seems to lump MD,DO, and DPM together for what that's worth.
Or in any state, for that matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would anyone want to do this

Reactions: 4 users
As a neuro-ortho-plastic surgeon - 1. I would diagnose nerve entrapment, billing generously. 2. decompress everything. 3. Tweak the machine to "fix" the pathology. 4. Patient states their pain is worse. 5. Show them their improved results, and tell them it's all in their head. 6. Refer to pain management. 7. Discharge the patient. A completely made up scenario that I am sure happens to some extent. Because podiatry.

Reactions: 3 users

We have to assume you are witnessing DPMs performing these studies. Is this a one off situation or is this common in your area?

Why would anyone want to do this
I will give ya one guess...

obama-making-it-rain.gif

Actually I was just wondering if I could do EMG/NCS studies and the podiatry practice bill "incident-to" to podiatric physician instead of through my NPI. This could only work if the DPM was legally able to perform the study themselves. Which seems like they can...from the VA Board of Medicine:

"
Podiatrists may perform procedures related to their scope of practice as defined below:

"Practice of podiatry" means the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and cure or alleviation of physical conditions, diseases, pain, or infirmities of the human foot and ankle, including the medical, mechanical and surgical treatment of the ailments of the human foot and ankle, but does not include amputation of the foot proximal to the transmetatarsal level through the metatarsal shafts. Amputations proximal to the metatarsal-phalangeal joints may only be performed in a hospital or ambulatory surgery facility accredited by an organization listed in § 54.1-2939. The practice includes the diagnosis and treatment of lower extremity ulcers; however, the treatment of severe lower extremity ulcers proximal to the foot and ankle may only be performed by appropriately trained, credentialed podiatrists in an approved hospital or ambulatory surgery center at which the podiatrist has privileges, as described in § 54.1-2939. The Board of Medicine shall determine whether a specific type of treatment of the foot and ankle is within the scope of practice of podiatry" - Case Manager, Discipline & Compliance "

"

Podiatrists may perform procedures related to their scope of practice as defined below:

"[/I]

To everyone that wants to throw the typical SDN cold bucket of water on someone for doing something above and beyond what is necessary in podiatry, I would just ask you to consider that the only way the profession evolves/advances is by a mechanism similar to this.

To the OP, I commend you for reaching to the limits of the scope of practice (or perhaps even challenging it) and advancing your own knowledge and capabilities.

Here’s some commentary and advice:

1. Doing an NCV study is probably in scope in almost every state. This is a non-invasive test.

2. Doing an EMG is probably in scope in most states with a treatment-based law as long as you’re using it to diagnose a problem that is in scope. There might be some specifics here, since it is an invasive test. In some states, you might even be justified in adding upper extremity EMG and NCV as long as you’re ruling out a systemic neuropathy vs one localized to the lower extremity.

3. I don’t know that a state board will give you any valuable information and could only harm you. State boards are mostly precedent-driven if something is not clearly spelled out in the law. What that means, is that they can only really respond with a clear answer if the state board has previously ruled on a complaint related to a similar issue. Therefore, if you ask for an answer in writing, you will either get something nebulous or even harmful, even though it would technically be in-scope. I recommend not asking the state board officially and instead just back channel with someone on the board and let them know what you’re doing and your rationale. Based on what I read in VA (and I was actually once licensed there), I would feel comfortable with performing the NCV and EMG.

4. When I was in residency in NY, we actually convinced my director Dr. Michael DellaCorte to buy an NCV-only device. We learned how to use it by watching a DVD (it was 2005) in DellaCorte’s basement and practiced on each other. DellaCorte and I tested each other’s tibial nerve with a shock intensity of 3 (which was ridiculously painful). But we held it together. Then when Nick Bevilacqua wasn’t looking, we set it to 10 and tested him. I think you could hear the scream at the neighbors’. So be careful with sensate patients! We used the device a lot in practice.

5. Just because you have the scope and knowledge, doesn’t mean you’ll actually get paid for the codes. DellaCorte got rejected on about 50% of his claims. Some payers restrict certain codes by specialty. So make sure to do prior auths although “Prior authorization is not a guarantee of payment.” (Who doesn’t love that phrase!!)

So … keep advancing brother (or sister)

And this how an Aussie would do it, colorful language included:

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users