Can anyone recommend Dental Loupe Headlights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucsfbound2017

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Surgitel daylight. Very good light that is also easy on the eyes even after a long day of use

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't have a choice on our loupes, but we get to choose our headlights. Any suggestions?
lumadent I love the light. used it all throughtout my ucsf days and even now in private practice

Reactions: 1 user
This is actually really interesting. Are there certain types of lights that are better for your vision? I find myself taking some time to adjust after looking at some of the dentist's lights for a while

Reactions: 1 user
There are a few on there: wireless, eclipse, micro etc... any that you recommend?
Also can these be used on any loupes?
I personally use the micro. Surgitel will have adapters that they can send you that will fit most loupes.

Lumadent with two 10 hour batteries.

slow-clap-gif.gif

Reactions: 1 users
You'll want a light whose color temperature matches that of the sun (around 5500k) as it is going to allow you to see color of a tooth most accurately. Yellow/warmer light would be easier on the eyes, but can make seeing small details harder too as those lights tend not to be as bright. I second the Lumadents! My loupes haven't delivered yet but I've tried the light out from a friend and it's really fantastic for the price (color temp is 5000k, and it's super bright).

Lumadent
They do a group discount if you can get a dozen or so classmates to go in with you.

Lumadent
They do a group discount if you can get a dozen or so classmates to go in with you.
I have had the lumadent basic setup now going on 5 years. Also participated in the group price. Customer service is superb.

I have had the lumadent basic setup now going on 5 years. Also participated in the group price. Customer service is superb.
To piggy back off this, I'd recommend getting their pair of safety glasses too. The light attaches and it's great for extractions or times when loupes are an overkill.

I always hear about lumadent customer service being good, and this may be rep specific, but our experience hasn't been great.

Qoptics recently offered our first years their light for $300. I would ask about that deal from your rep and go with that. Lumadent's "group" price was $420 for us.

The Q-optics lights were pretty... lackluster for 300 IMO. I got the rep for lumadent to come out and it was 350 for a single battery (what you'd get from Q) and not a trash light. I got the dual batteries that hang behind the head light system personally and I'm liking it. $450.

The Lumident lights are pretty much the same as the surgitel and oroscoptic lights (focused beam, can get bright blue light or more natural color, I went with the softer light) and wont cost you $600+ if you buy them alone without their respective loupes.

Ultralights are supposed to be pretty nice, but the rep didnt want to come to our school so I never really got much a chance to compare their lights to Lumadents.

For me, the most comfortable loupes options that I tried if you have the money are the Q-optics loupes with the expanded fields (like 1800 after the student discounts) since they have a lifetime warranty on the frames and great magnification while still being able to see an entire arch and not needing to wear the dorky looking side shields, then adding a lumident light. That Comes out to like 2100 bucks. The other option for me and the one I personally went with was lumadent loupes and light for $1300 since I wanted to save on money my first time around.

Most people swap to different magnifications and I figured I could return the loupes within the 45 day grace period and upgrade to the more sturdy frames of Q-optics should I not like the lumadent ones in that time.

I tried all of the loupes and lights from most of the bigger companies. I didnt want flips so zeiss was out despite having the nicest glass. I didnt like how heavy oroscoptics were but I did like the swapper style mag they have that they just came out (it allows you to swap out different magnifications on the fly, each at about $600) and I liked the zoomers, but again, weight. I didnt like the idea of spending a ton of money on plastic frames so the surgitels were out for me, and designs for visions didnt really seem to believe in having a higher angle of declination when I was talking to the rep so I didnt go with them either. Q-optics were prob the BEST IMO for me, but your mileage may vary, and they were a bit more spendy for what I wanted, but I may still get those if I dont like the cheaper lumadent ones.

The Q-optics lights were pretty... lackluster for 300 IMO. I got the rep for lumadent to come out and it was 350 for a single battery (what you'd get from Q) and not a trash light. I got the dual batteries that hang behind the head light system personally and I'm liking it. $450.

The Lumident lights are pretty much the same as the surgitel and oroscoptic lights (focused beam, can get bright blue light or more natural color, I went with the softer light) and wont cost you $600+ if you buy them alone without their respective loupes.

Ultralights are supposed to be pretty nice, but the rep didnt want to come to our school so I never really got much a chance to compare their lights to Lumadents.

For me, the most comfortable loupes options that I tried if you have the money are the Q-optics loupes with the expanded fields (like 1800 after the student discounts) since they have a lifetime warranty on the frames and great magnification while still being able to see an entire arch and not needing to wear the dorky looking side shields, then adding a lumident light. That Comes out to like 2100 bucks. The other option for me and the one I personally went with was lumadent loupes and light for $1300 since I wanted to save on money my first time around.

Most people swap to different magnifications and I figured I could return the loupes within the 45 day grace period and upgrade to the more sturdy frames of Q-optics should I not like the lumadent ones in that time.

I tried all of the loupes and lights from most of the bigger companies. I didnt want flips so zeiss was out despite having the nicest glass. I didnt like how heavy oroscoptics were but I did like the swapper style mag they have that they just came out (it allows you to swap out different magnifications on the fly, each at about $600) and I liked the zoomers, but again, weight. I didnt like the idea of spending a ton of money on plastic frames so the surgitels were out for me, and designs for visions didnt really seem to believe in having a higher angle of declination when I was talking to the rep so I didnt go with them either. Q-optics were prob the BEST IMO for me, but your mileage may vary, and they were a bit more spendy for what I wanted, but I may still get those if I dont like the cheaper lumadent ones.

Any particular reason why you want the expanded field prisms?

Any particular reason why you want the expanded field prisms?
I like being able to see the whole arch of the mouth in a higher magnification. The wider field is nice.

ive used ultralight and they are good bang for the buck. I got a second light because they gave me a good deal (gave me goggles and a student discount) I also have a surgitel one which isnt bad. I feel my surgitel has a more crisp and natural light color compared to ultralight

lumadent I love the light. used it all throughtout my ucsf days and even now in private practice

I will definitely back up LumaDent any day. Used it all through my undergrad working as a chairside surgical assistant/implant, denture tech. One battery + one light for years; as they changed their lights 3 or 4 times and ended up just going with LumaDent after much frustration.