Can an MD prescribe for an animal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyoma8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering how possible it was for an MD with a small family farm to ever prescribe for his animals and/or pets. Any thoughts/possible complications? Does it make a difference if it involves controlled substances?

Thanks, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I was wondering how possible it was for an MD with a small family farm to ever prescribe for his animals and/or pets. Any thoughts/possible complications? Does it make a difference if it involves controlled substances?

Thanks, guys!

I volunteered in a vet school pharmacy, and no he cannot. Many animal medications have to be compounded specifically to the animal (you wouldnt give your chihuahua the same concentration/amount of a drug to your St Bernard). Animals are very different from us in terms of cell receptors, metabolism, and drug targets. Some drugs we use for one thing, they use on pets for another.

Controlled substances would be the same deal, that's why its controlled. If you're in a very unfortunate situation, and an MD kills an animal due to overdose or drug interference it could definitely be considered animal cruelty.

Members don't see this ad :)
A physician could only prescribe for an animal if he or she was also a licensed veterinarian.

Not in Canada. Many human drugs can be lethal in animals (tylenol in cats, etc), and a human MD would likely not know this info. Unforunately MD's treating their own pets is all too common - we probably get 1 train wreck a month.

Slightly OT: When I worked in retail, we averaged a customer a week who would walk up to the counter with a sheepish look on their face and say, "This is probably a really dumb question and you're going to laugh at me, but do you fill prescriptions from veterinarians?"

I would always reply that it was not a dumb question, and the answer was yes.

MD does not treat animals....not in their scope. I hope you would know that as a med student.

:smack:

Depends where you are. There's a FP residency not far from you that offers rotations in rural vet care, basically for the situations where you are the only health care provider of any kind within 100 miles. Plus, and I'll have to check the law to be sure, I'm pretty sure in this state we have very few law-based restrictions on what we can and can't do.

You would need to check with not only the state medical board but the state veterinary medical board/state veterinary practice act. I have not looked at all 50 practice acts in detail, and there is some variation in what licensed veterinary technicians and lay employees can do, but the common theme is that diagnosing, prescribing, and surgery are reserved for veterinarians licensed in that state, and sometimes for visiting veterinarians from other states or students under direct supervision. I would be interested to hear if the veterinary practice act is different in your state (most of them are available online).

As others stated above, there are myriad possible complications. Physicians are not taught comparative medicine across species (and frankly there isn't time in med school from what I understand); while at some level a mammal is a mammal, there are important idiosyncratic differences in physiology and receptor pharmacology that make it difficult to predict based on one species whether another species' response will be the same or entirely different.

Some medications are safe in some species and toxic or otherwise contraindicated in others - acetaminophen is used in dogs but is quite toxic in cats. The seemingly innocuous NPB ophthalmic ointment has an elevated risk of adverse reactions in cats. Benzodiazepines provide great tranquilization/anxiolysis in other species, but are almost never given alone in horses due to the incidence of disinhibition/paradoxical aggression reactions, which can result in the horse injuring itself and people and destroying anything nearby.

Even with the same drug, the dosing may not scale like you think, with dose ranges in mg/kg varying widely between species. E.g., xylazine, commonly used for sedation in large animals, has far greater effects at the same dose in ruminants vs horses.

The most common differentials for certain problems vary by species, and some things that are common in one species might be virtually unheard of in another. How often do MD's see gastric dilatation-volvulus, a surgical emergency which can sometimes present as a dog just looking a little punky and retching occasionally without vomiting?

I'm not denying that an MD is a more informed animal owner than most, but that knowledge should be tempered by humility and acceptance of its limitations and is no replacement for a working relationship with an actual veterinarian.

I have to give props to the DVMs and vet students. Having to learn all of that stuff and learn it for (very) different classes of animals is daunting. :thumbup:

I'm especially impressed with their ability to diagnose and treat patients who can't even tell you where it hurts, never mind what they last ate or when their last BM or menstruation was...

I'm especially impressed with their ability to diagnose and treat patients who can't even tell you where it hurts, never mind what they last ate or when their last BM or menstruation was...
An ER doctor did once tell me he sometimes did feel like a vet with the state some of the people were brought there in.

Depends where you are. There's a FP residency not far from you that offers rotations in rural vet care, basically for the situations where you are the only health care provider of any kind within 100 miles. Plus, and I'll have to check the law to be sure, I'm pretty sure in this state we have very few law-based restrictions on what we can and can't do.

I could imagine an exception like this, but it is the exception, not the rule. In most states, MDs can't prescribe for animals anymore than vets can prescribe for humans.

MDs have relatively few legal restrictions on scope of practice, but animals are generally one of them.

I'm an ER MD and it would be ridiculous of me to prescribe for a dog.