Camaraderie - future partnership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Attendings/residents/possibly pod students,

How many of you are thinking of starting a practice with someone you met in pod school/residency? How common is this? I can only imagine the amount of trust/confidence you must have in your classmate/fellow resident to think of this.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in Pod school or a Pod but I would feel like that is very unlikely simply because most graduates don't open new practices. Trying to get a loan is tough these days, and student loans are 200k+.

What usually happens is most people just try to get a job somewhere. Also, in some of those jobs, you can become a partner after a certain number of years and may buy out more shares as the other Pods in your group retire. I feel like this is what 95% of new pods do.

The ways things are going you are more likely to become a part of a group practice such as something like Dupage Medical group or Cadence health care (two groups that have tons of clinics and locations all over the chicago area)
One younger DPM I shadowed (went to INOVA fairfax for residency, one of the best residencies) was telling me he worked as an associate in St Louis, then a hospital offered to underwrite him opening a practice about 60 miles west of Chicago.