calling yourself a radiologist..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pipetman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in one of the pod conferences, i heard a DPM (who worked for an MRI center or something) call himself a radiologist. now, i don't know. isn't that misleading? I know you can get fellowships to be qualified in analyzing MRI and radiographs, etc of the foot and ankle, but a radiologist per se , is an MD. even if you do get some training, it doesn't qualify you to read say, a skull fracture ..you still have to operate within your scope. correct?

btw he worked with a couple of DC's ..who also labeled themselves radiologists..thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, if that is actually what he said that is misleading. He is NOT a radiologist.

If I'm a DPM that treats only patients with arthritic disorders all day, etc, I am not a rheumatologist. Dr. Rogers specializes in diabetic limb salvage, etc., and does not tell people he's a diabetologist.

It's great if these doctors had some form of fellowship, however they are not radiologists by training, they are podiatrists that may have a subspecialty in radiology. Calling themselves a radiologist is misleading at best. If it makes them happy, it would be more appropriate to say podiatric radiologist and to me that's even stretching things.

I agree, this is a clear example of misrepresentation, if true.

Along the same lines, I attended a podiatry graduation ceremony and was surprised that not one speaker (podiatrist or faculty) said the word "podiatry student" or "podiatry school."

Almost every sentence was "medical student" or "medical school", "surgery residency", etc..which made the fact that there were actual family members who medical students or MD's in the audience more uncomfortable (the podiatry is affiliated with a medical school).

I overheard a lot of "I thought he was going to be a podiatrist" from unknowing family members, weird.

Curious, is this a misrepresentation as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
i would love to know what school that was. I personally never say "podiatric medical school," let alone "medical school." I would think an interesting survey would be:
A. what is your gpa?
B. Do you attend Podiatry school, Podiatric medical school or Medical school?

From my experience, i think High GPA=podiatry school.

I am also curious to know which school this was at.

I personally prefer "podiatry school" but I have no problems with "podiatric medical school". I do cringe when I hear "medical school" or "medical student".

I am also curious to know which school this was at.

I personally prefer "podiatry school" but I have no problems with "podiatric medical school". I do cringe when I hear "medical school" or "medical student".

You'll probably have to refer to yourself as a medical student when you're rotating through hospital's ORs. They don't know what a PS-III or IV is. They usually only chart MS III or IV. So you'll probably have to use it at one point or another.

Last edited:
You'll probably have to refer to yourself as a medical student when you're rotating through hospital's ORs. They don't know what a PS-III or IV is. They usually only chart MS III or IV. So you'll probably have to use it at one point or another.

I have heard about that. In that situation though, there's a very good reason for having to refer to yourself as MS3 or MS4.