CRIP Programs without call backs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boots and Mittens Show

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For programs without call backs, how do we gauge their interest level in us? Some programs have interviews that are almost entirely social and are very casual. This is great and easy on the nerves, but also leaves you thinking that no one could screw up or stand out from that interview. They may be very friendly and happy to see you, but with no hint or nod that you will be ranked high/at all, how can we know their interest level?

Is it almost certain that they did hint to others that they liked better, or do they truly follow the CRIP rules and not even try to hint where they will rank you or question your interest level in ranking them high?

It is just hard to rank a program #1 with no defined hint at their reciprocated interest. I will keep my favorite program as #1 regardless, but it will keep me quite nervous until March.

Members don't see this ad.

Doesnt matter - rank who you want #1 and go down the line to your #2, #3, etc, etc. If you want a certain program rank it - even if you dont think they ranked you. It can't hurt you to rank where you want to be. The match is in your favor not the program's.

I have never understood how it is supposed to be rigged in the student's favor. Going by the "Explanation of CASPR match" sheet, it certainly looks rigged in the programs favor since every round is matching the program's current #1 choice against student choices going down a line. It would seem that the only value to the student's rankings are to serve as a tiebreaker when two programs both rank you as their current #1. If only 1 program that you interview with ranks you as their #1, are you guaranteed to match there even if you ranked them #9?

In the example given in the explanation, the programs all pretty much got what they wanted and half of the students ended up at places lower on their list. If the process was student favored, I would think the process would be reversed to match the student's #1 choice against openings at programs that also ranked them at all. Evans was the only guy in the example that ranked Mercy as #1, but still gets stuck at a lower choice of County because County wanted him..... It seems like the program's #1 pick holds significantly more power than the student's #1 pick.

Just a little confused.

http://casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/pdf/MatchExpl.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
You will rank at your most preferred program as long as that program hasn't filled their spots with more preferred students.

If I rank a program #9 and they rank me #1 then they are my guaranteed safety - if I strike out at #1-8 then #9 will always be waiting for me and I will beat out other students who ranked them #1.
Consider the following - an amazing student who only interviewed at "Ivy Leagues" - they can't be beaten out by a lesser (ranked) student just because that lesser student ranked "Harvard" higher

The process is in the student's favor, but just barely - its a fair algorith. If its in the students favor its because the student preference is what is used to "fill the box" first.

thanks for the explanation. This makes me more concerned about not having a wink/nod at the end of any of the interviews :lame: