Calling Med Schools About Your App

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iris8782

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any advice/thoughts on whether or not to call the following schools (cornell, yale, columbia, upenn) -- or just any schools in general -- regarding whether or not they want an interview?

(columbia app and upenn secondary i sent out 10/15, cornell and yale secondaries i sent out 11/2)

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by iris8782
does anyone have any advice/thoughts on whether or not to call the following schools (cornell, yale, columbia, upenn) -- or just any schools in general -- regarding whether or not they want an interview?

(columbia app and upenn secondary i sent out 10/15, cornell and yale secondaries i sent out 11/2)

thanks!

definitely wait on cornell/yale, since they've only been in for a few weeks. personally, i don't think i'd call columbia or penn yet... but if you DO call, don't flat-out ask if they want to interview you. (e.g. ask about your application status, etc) good luck.

What about if you want to see if they can schedule an interview (UPenn) because you are going to be in the area? I was complete at UPenn since mid-august, and I have an upcoming interview in NYC. Given that it'll be the only time I'll be on the east coast, should I give UPenn a call? (i was planning on it, but if it will result in some major taboo that will affect my app, I will hold off).

Thanks,

Ice

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ice_23
What about if you want to see if they can schedule an interview (UPenn) because you are going to be in the area? I was complete at UPenn since mid-august, and I have an upcoming interview in NYC. Given that it'll be the only time I'll be on the east coast, should I give UPenn a call? (i was planning on it, but if it will result in some major taboo that will affect my app, I will hold off).

Thanks,

Ice

give 'em a call, some schools are pretty accomodating... and it shouldn't adversely affect your application

On a similar note, I've heard of people calling schools to request an interview because they have another one in the area. Has anyone ever called a school and said they'll be in the area even if they really won't be, just to try to speed up the process? It's a lie, but I wonder if it would work?