Calling all Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triplerox

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for those of you in rad onc. I am planning to go into career as Radiation Therapist. However, from what I had read around the net it would appear the job field for Radiation Therapist is extremely saturated. Many graduates of Radiation Therapy were not able to find jobs up to months. And even if there are openings, the employers demand at least 2-5 years of experience. This concerns me as I don't want to be jobless after going through this two year program.

So here I am wondering if you guys have any insight on this particular matter? I am from the Bay Area so does anyone have any clue about the job market in these areas? For those of you who have been working, do you notice a lot of hirings? I was also told that with the improvement in technology and machines doing most of the work, the use of therapists are becoming less and less so in the future Radiation Therapists will definitely have an even tougher time finding jobs.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Talking to my RTs @ UCSF, they say the job market is saturated but not impossible to penetrate. One of our City College grads who finished six months ago says 6 of 7 grads found jobs in the Bay Area. However, if you train in the Bay Area and rotate through a Bay Area practice you are much more likely to get hired than grads coming from the outside.

In terms of supply and demand I don't think that evolution of techonology will reduce the number of RTs anytime soon. In fact, I'm having trouble even imagining a scenario where need for RTs would be reduced.

Thanks for the reply gfunk. When you said city college do you mean CCSF? That's where I applied to. Well it's reassuring that 6/7 found jobs in Bay Area. I'm still a little concern because it is a saturated job market after all and if I was to graduate from it I want to be able to find a job ASAP and not wait months. I'll probably call up Rad Onc departments around bay area and try to get more opinions about this as well. I guess all this talk about how most places won't even hire someone with less than 2-5 years of experience frightened me into thinking hows a new grad ever going to find a job. Thanks!