General Admissions & OTCAS Calling all applicants who has an 2nd bachelors degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makingmoves2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!! I wanted to know if schools look at the first bachelors or the second bachelors. I was just wondering. I'm getting a second degree in Child Development, psychology, or health promotion to improve my grade point average. So my question is does schools look at the first or second bachelors. I've tried asking the admission counselors these questions….and they tap dance around the question. Basically saying they didn't give me a educated answer………..Please any advice. My grade point average is like a 2.90 but I'm taking classes this summer to improve my grade point average…..

Members don't see this ad.

I think it varies on the school, and some schools try to look at the whole person. So that might be why you can't get a straight answer.

I remember reading somewhere that U of St. Augustine looks at the last 30 or 60 hours of all coursework. Which would be much better for me (3.8) than if they looked at the last 60 of my undergrad degree from 20 years ago (2.5 or less, depending which classes you counted.)

I think it's common enough that people take extra courses for prerequisites after their initial bachelors that most schools have a way to take that into account.

Just don't get a master's degree, which I have found out doesn't count towards your GPA for most schools.

I think it varies on the school, and some schools try to look at the whole person. So that might be why you can't get a straight answer.

I remember reading somewhere that U of St. Augustine looks at the last 30 or 60 hours of all coursework. Which would be much better for me (3.8) than if they looked at the last 60 of my undergrad degree from 20 years ago (2.5 or less, depending which classes you counted.)

I think it's common enough that people take extra courses for prerequisites after their initial bachelors that most schools have a way to take that into account.

Just don't get a master's degree, which I have found out doesn't count towards your GPA for most schools.
yeah USA looks at the last 45 and prereq GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
USA may also stand for university of south alabama...and in my mind it totally just stands for the good ole united states of america. this is the problem with acronyms!

Reactions: 1 user
I believe that the answer to your question is not mutually exclusive. That is, i'm sure schools will look at both, albeit the way each would factor into GPA calculations and such may vary drastically between programs.

Also, is English your first language? I don't mean to digress or belittle you in any way, but based on your post I can't help but strongly urge you to try to improve your writing skills quite significantly. Writing is a very important skill that is used ubiquitously across many academic disciplines and if you plan to take the GRE, you will need these skills both for the verbal and analytical writing sections (not to mention in grad school itself).

Best of luck with your pursuits.

[QUO TE=" please trep, p gost: 15205006, member: 603284"]I believe that the answer to your question is not mutually exclusive. That is, i'm sure schools will look at both, albeit the way each would factor into GPA calculations and such may vary drastically between programs.

Also, is English your first language? I don't mean to digress or belittle you in any way, but based on your post I can't help but strongly urge you to try to improve your writing skills quite significantly. Writing is a very important skill that is used ubiquitously across many academic disciplines and if you plan to take the GRE, you will need these skills both for the verbal and analytical writing sections (not to mention in grad school itself).

Best of luck with your pursuits.[/QUOTE]
Yes! Can you please give me advice then. I hear it over and over...no one gives advice...about how to improve writing skills...advice any