California Residents!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Des2025

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are you applying?

I've been trolling this forum for a while now and mustered up the courage to make a post!

Living in Cali is great, but now I'm looking at applying to PT school and I feel the options here are limited: either go to a Cal State (MPT) or pay a ridiculous price for private schools, outside of UCSF.

Getting into a school with a decent ranking wouldn't be bad either. But right now I'm mainly focused on cost and a quality program. Where in Cali and outside of Cali are some good options, especially factoring in out of state tuition?:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the bad news is that UCSF $$ is now on par with the private schools, especially if tuition (excuse me, "fees") go up soon like they're talking about.
The good news is that most/all? of the MPT programs will be converting to DPT next year - 2012. But then the bad news it that prices will almost certainly go up then. But probably not as much as the other schools if they're not affiliated with the UCs. My point is this is all a bit up in the air right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes I agree. If the Cal States already had their DPT program set up then I would seriously consider applying there. But I'm not bold enough to risk being the first DPT class going in. Sure the tuition would be cheap, but I'd rather pay more for a sense of security at this point. I need structure in my program, not experimentation. If only they had one graduating class...

Where are you applying?

I've been trolling this forum for a while now and mustered up the courage to make a post!

Living in Cali is great, but now I'm looking at applying to PT school and I feel the options here are limited: either go to a Cal State (MPT) or pay a ridiculous price for private schools, outside of UCSF.

Getting into a school with a decent ranking wouldn't be bad either. But right now I'm mainly focused on cost and a quality program. Where in Cali and outside of Cali are some good options, especially factoring in out of state tuition?:scared:

I'm a CA resident and I applied to University of the Pacific, Loma Linda, Western Univeristy of Health Science, A.T. Still, Midwestern (Glendale), Regis, St. Catherine, UW-Madison, Thomas Jefferson, Shenandoah, Simmons, and MGH Institute of Health Professions.

All of those are private (except Madison), so there is no in-state or out-of-state tuition. Some are less expensive than others, but in my opinion they are all expensive. It seems like most PT programs will cost you a fortune.

Quality of the program you will have to research on your own. Also consider various factors of each program and compare/contrast their similarities and differences.

Hopefully that helps a little. Good luck!