California PT License Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcat1299

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I wanted to see what experiences other people have had with applying for a PT license in CA. I am getting ready to graduate from PT school in Kansas next week and have a accepted a job in CA. I took the boards being sponsored by KS prior to accepting the job in CA so I will be a licensed therapist in KS when I graduate. I am looking at the process for a CA license since I am suppose to begin June 20, 2014 but am starting to become concerned that I will not have my application processed in time. I will be applying as an endorsement applicant.

I called the Physical Therapy Board of California (PTBC) yesterday and my understanding of the process is that once I have officially graduated from PT school (which is May 16) I can then submit my completed application (fingerprints, PE1 and application). Once the application is submitted it will take 4-6 weeks before they give me clearance to sit for the law exam. Once I pass the law exam it will take another 4-6 weeks before I am cleared and issued a CA PT license. Overall, I am understanding that it will take 2-3 months for the license to be issued. I am suppose to begin work before then.

I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this process and could give me a realistic timeline of how long I should expect it to take before I receive my license. I also was wondering if anyone had an understanding of my ability to practice as a PT applicant (i.e. temporary license type of situation) under the supervision of a PT while my application is processing. Any help or advice on making the process as smooth as possible would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

I wanted to see what experiences other people have had with applying for a PT license in CA. I am getting ready to graduate from PT school in Kansas next week and have a accepted a job in CA. I took the boards being sponsored by KS prior to accepting the job in CA so I will be a licensed therapist in KS when I graduate. I am looking at the process for a CA license since I am suppose to begin June 20, 2014 but am starting to become concerned that I will not have my application processed in time. I will be applying as an endorsement applicant.

I called the Physical Therapy Board of California (PTBC) yesterday and my understanding of the process is that once I have officially graduated from PT school (which is May 16) I can then submit my completed application (fingerprints, PE1 and application). Once the application is submitted it will take 4-6 weeks before they give me clearance to sit for the law exam. Once I pass the law exam it will take another 4-6 weeks before I am cleared and issued a CA PT license. Overall, I am understanding that it will take 2-3 months for the license to be issued. I am suppose to begin work before then.

I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this process and could give me a realistic timeline of how long I should expect it to take before I receive my license. I also was wondering if anyone had an understanding of my ability to practice as a PT applicant (i.e. temporary license type of situation) under the supervision of a PT while my application is processing. Any help or advice on making the process as smooth as possible would be greatly appreciated!

I graduated from Franklin Pierce University, Goodyear, AZ on Feb, 26, 2013. I applied for the PTLA (physical therapy licensed applicant) in CA as soon as I could... and I believe after submitting all the necessary documents (fingerprinting, etc.), I started working as a PTLA at my future employer within the next 3-4 weeks at most (that's approximate).. The pay is much better than a tech :). During this time I was studying for my boards, took the April 30th, 2013 Board exam, Passed (Praise God!), and started working as a licensed physical therapist around the middle of May, 2013. Disclaimer: The board of CA physical therapy was difficulty to get ahold of, but I was very persistent in making sure they could expediate the process as best as they could without coming off as snobbish. Hope that helps.. Please ask any other questions you may have and best of luck!

@CaliPT

Thanks for your help! Unfortunately, I've already found out that the board of CA PT is difficult to get ahold of. On the bright side, I found out I passed the boards this week so now it is just a matter of taking 1 more final so that the director of my program can fill out my PE1 form. As soon as graduation is over I plan on submitting my application. At what point in the process did you apply for and take the California law exam? I can't seem to get a straight answer from them as to when I should be taking that. Again, I really appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Wildcat, how long did the process end up taking you? I am in a similar situation now. I will be licensed in Washington State in June, then I need to transfer to CA. Can you give me an idea of the process? Can I begin before graduation? How about before I receive my WA license?

Hey all!

@CaliPT

Thanks for your help! Unfortunately, I've already found out that the board of CA PT is difficult to get ahold of. On the bright side, I found out I passed the boards this week so now it is just a matter of taking 1 more final so that the director of my program can fill out my PE1 form. As soon as graduation is over I plan on submitting my application. At what point in the process did you apply for and take the California law exam? I can't seem to get a straight answer from them as to when I should be taking that. Again, I really appreciate your help!

Hey Wildcat, how long did the process end up taking you? I am in a similar situation now. I will be licensed in Washington State in June, then I need to transfer to CA. Can you give me an idea of the process? Can I begin before graduation? How about before I receive my WA license?

I took boards on July 22nd with WA as my jurisdiction (went to University of Puget Sound and with the timing of my graduation/end of internships, I had to take the NPTE with WA). Submitted my CA application on July 24th. Found out passing status for boards on July 29th. Had my NPTE score report sent to the CA board on July 30th. Received CA PTLA status (interim license) on August 10th. Took the CA jurisprudence exam on August 14th and found out passing status for that on August 15th (the very next day). My WA license posted on August 19th. My CA license posted on the PTBC website on September 1st.

Make absolutely certain that your CA application for licensure is COMPLETE (instructions on what constitutes a complete application is on the CA board website). If your application is incomplete, it will seriously delay the whole process.

As noted above, the CA PT board can be next-to-impossible to contact via phone/email. Oddly enough, I have found the best way to contact them is via facebook message.

My DPT degree technically did not post until August 14th, but the last day of my final clinical affiliation was July 10th, thus I was able to have my DCE fill out the P1E form on July 10th. The state of CA requires that the P1E form cannot be submitted before you finish your final internship, so just keep that in mind when you're doing your application.

Last edited:
I took boards on July 22nd with WA as my jurisdiction (went to University of Puget Sound and with the timing of my graduation/end of internships, I had to take the NPTE with WA). Submitted my CA application on July 24th. Found out passing status for boards on July 29th. Had my NPTE score report sent to the CA board on July 30th. Received CA PTLA status (interim license) on August 10th. Took the CA jurisprudence exam on August 14th and found out passing status for that on August 15th (the very next day). My WA license posted on August 19th. My CA license posted on the PTBC website on September 1st.

Make absolutely certain that your CA application for licensure is COMPLETE (instructions on what constitutes a complete application is on the CA board website). If your application is incomplete, it will seriously delay the whole process.

As noted above, the CA PT board can be next-to-impossible to contact via phone/email. Oddly enough, I have found the best way to contact them is via facebook message.

My DPT degree technically did not post until August 14th, but the last day of my final clinical affiliation was July 10th, thus I was able to have my DCE fill out the P1E form on July 10th. The state of CA requires that the P1E form cannot be submitted before you finish your final internship, so just keep that in mind when you're doing your application.

Thank you for this information, CW! I have one more question. Is it even necessary to get licensed in WA state at this point? I passed the boards (!!), will graduate June 10th, and plan on submitting my CA application right away. My question is: will it hinder my CA license in any way if I do not finish submitting paperwork for Washington (i.e. transcripts, fingerprints, etc...).

Everyone is right - PTBC is so hard to get in touch with!!

Thanks!

Thank you for this information, CW! I have one more question. Is it even necessary to get licensed in WA state at this point? I passed the boards (!!), will graduate June 10th, and plan on submitting my CA application right away. My question is: will it hinder my CA license in any way if I do not finish submitting paperwork for Washington (i.e. transcripts, fingerprints, etc...).

Everyone is right - PTBC is so hard to get in touch with!!

Thanks!

Many congratulations on passing boards! :clap:

To answer your question, your WA application is completely independent of your CA application. Thus, your CA license will not be hindered if you don't finish WA paperwork. Unless you plan on practicing in WA state, you don't technically need to complete a WA PT licensure application.

Hello,
I just have a question about the California PT jurisprudence exam. My fiancé was unsuccessful the first time taking the jurisprudence exam. She's kind of stressed because her application is going to expire next month. How did you go about studying the material? Any particular topics that should be heavily reviewed? Websites or study materials outside the Ca pt board exam? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Hello,
I just have a question about the California PT jurisprudence exam. My fiancé was unsuccessful the first time taking the jurisprudence exam. She's kind of stressed because her application is going to expire next month. How did you go about studying the material? Any particular topics that should be heavily reviewed? Websites or study materials outside the Ca pt board exam? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Read the CA practice act in its entirety. Read the CA PT regulations and read the statutes outside the PT act, specifically those pertaining to how PTs can advertise and about corporations. Know about the monetary fines that the PTBC can impose for various infractions. See the PTBC website links to the aforementioned things here: http://www.ptbc.ca.gov/laws/studycov.shtml

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you for posting this information! I am a new graduate going through the process of transferring my license from Colorado to California (I have already received my CO license). I just wanted to try to clarify how the process works with California. Once the board receives and processes my application, will I first be given PTLA status until I take and pass the law exam? I am worried that because I am already licensed in CO, PTLA status will not apply to me and I will have to wait until I take the law exam before I can practice.

Thank you for posting this information! I am a new graduate going through the process of transferring my license from Colorado to California (I have already received my CO license). I just wanted to try to clarify how the process works with California. Once the board receives and processes my application, will I first be given PTLA status until I take and pass the law exam? I am worried that because I am already licensed in CO, PTLA status will not apply to me and I will have to wait until I take the law exam before I can practice.

Are you actually transferring your CO license to CA (meaning, are you applying via endorsement)? That process is different than what I described above, since I applied directly out of PT school. (See this link for what makes a complete CA application and the difference between applying as a new grad or applying via endorsement: http://www.ptbc.ca.gov/applicants/pt_app_complete.shtml)

I received PTLA status before I took the jurisprudence exam, but again, I applied for my CA license straight out of PT school and not via endorsement using another license (such as my WA license).

That is correct. I'm taking the CLE on Saturday. You cannot apply for PTLA status if you are already licensed in another state. You are applying by endorsement. You have to wait up to 60 days to receive your authorization to test (ATT). Then it's another 5-6 weeks before you can get your license.

That is correct. I'm taking the CLE on Saturday. You cannot apply for PTLA status if you are already licensed in another state. You are applying by endorsement. You have to wait up to 60 days to receive your authorization to test (ATT). Then it's another 5-6 weeks before you can get your license.
I just want to make sure I understand.... Even though I applied via endorsement, I will receive PTLA status until I complete (and pass) the CLE?

Are you actually transferring your CO license to CA (meaning, are you applying via endorsement)? That process is different than what I described above, since I applied directly out of PT school. (See this link for what makes a complete CA application and the difference between applying as a new grad or applying via endorsement: http://www.ptbc.ca.gov/applicants/pt_app_complete.shtml)

I received PTLA status before I took the jurisprudence exam, but again, I applied for my CA license straight out of PT school and not via endorsement using another license (such as my WA license).

Yes, I am applying via endorsement.

I was FINALLY able to get through to talk to someone at the PTBC. Even if you apply via endorsement, you are first given PTLA status prior to completing the CLE as long as you satisfy all requirements of the application (fee, fingerprints, P1E form, etc). Then upon passing the CLE, you receive full licensure status. I hope that helps others who might also be confused by the process!

Reactions: 1 user
According to 2636.6 of the PT Practice Act of California: An applicant who has filed a physical therapy application under this section with the board for the first time may, between the date of receipt of notice that his or her application is on file and the date of receipt of his or her license, perform as a physical therapist under the direct and immediate supervision of a physical therapist licensed in this state. During this period the applicant shall identify himself or herself only as a “physical therapist license applicant.”