california programs-ranking dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eoinjess

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am couples matching (SO applying for family practice) and just certified my rank list. I am only ranking California programs (I currently attend medical school in the midwest) and I am extremely nervous because I only ranked 6 programs:
UCLA
Cedars-Sinai
UCI
UC Davis
UCLA-VA
Scripps Clinic.

Some of my stats: Step 1-227, Step 2-235, Medical school-top 40 ranking, did externships at two of the programs, good letters of rec, did research-published...

Should I rank more programs?

I am feeling that eleventh hour panic and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

of the programs you listed, UCLA might be the one program that would be difficult to get into with the stats you posted. with any programs you didn't rank, you should ask yourself if you'd rather go unmatched and scramble instead of matching at that program. if you'd rather match at the program, there shouldn't be a reason (financial or otherwise) not to rank it (since your nrmp fee allows you to rank many programs before charging extra).

i think that you should not have a problem matching. your bottom two programs are pretty safe bets and i don't think you need to rank any more programs. remember it isn't how many programs you rank but whether you add that extra 1 or 2 at the end (ones that you would be happy matching into but are not top choices) and it looks like you have. good luck.

eoinjess said:
Hello. I am couples matching (SO applying for family practice) and just certified my rank list. I am only ranking California programs (I currently attend medical school in the midwest) and I am extremely nervous because I only ranked 6 programs:
UCLA
Cedars-Sinai
UCI
UC Davis
UCLA-VA
Scripps Clinic.

Some of my stats: Step 1-227, Step 2-235, Medical school-top 40 ranking, did externships at two of the programs, good letters of rec, did research-published...

Should I rank more programs?

I am feeling that eleventh hour panic and any advice would be greatly appreciated.