California Neuro residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd yr and looking into neuro and was wondering:
1) Which california neuro residency programs guarantee the 1st yr at the same hospital for internal med.

2) Which programs are D.O. friendly.

3)I have research experience (2yrs) and 2 publications...how much will this help me in securing a Neuro residency spot

4)I'm an international student (i.e doing med school in the United States but I'm from another country) and was wondering which hospitals help in processing the work visa.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Oo, integrated programs and California don't really go together so well. There are very few CA programs, a buttload of applicants who want to go to CA, and they tend to be 3 year programs only. Can I ask why CA?

Nerdoscience said:
Oo, integrated programs and California don't really go together so well. There are very few CA programs, a buttload of applicants who want to go to CA, and they tend to be 3 year programs only. Can I ask why CA?

-My boyfriend lives in CA and we are hoping to eventually settle down there.

-So should I plan out my 4th yr to have both Neuro and internal med rotations in CA to increase my chances of getting the 2 spots separately or should I try to get an interview for both while rotating in Neuro only?

-would you mind elaborating on how exactly the match works when you can only get the 3 yr Neuro program but have to find a place for internal med for the 1st yr.

Thanks

That's totally different than when I did it because we had the stupid SFMatch. For you, you'll have a rank list of Neurology programs. Then, for each Neuro program you rank, you'll have a sublist of Prelim Medicine programs. This sublist will only be used once you are matched to a Neuro program.

Many people apply to Prelim years both in the areas they want to end up, and where they are going to med school. That way, you don't have to move twice. Some people apply broadly to prelim years that give them opportunities they won't have later. I know people who went to med school in a rural area, so did his internship in a mid-sized city to get more urban experience before going to Boston for his Anesthesia residency. I wouldn't worry too much about the prelim year. Take it seriously, by all means, but your primary focus should be on your neurology program.