Navy California licensure by residency - Navy GPR/AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xsynaesthesianx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm on the 4 year Navy HPSP scholarship. I will be graduating from NYUCD in 2015. Does anyone know if CODA approves any Navy GPR or AEGD residencies for "licensure by residency?" Or if the 4 years of clinical experience working as a Navy Dentist are sufficient for California licensure?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So you would have to go through a formal program, correct? Wouldn't that increase your obligation?

Is there a program/tour that you can complete for accreditation without adding time to your obligation? I have heard mixed things...

Since I have no past military experience, I am cautious about adding to my obligation.

Thanks!!

Navy HPSP Class of 2017

Members don't see this ad :)
All the programs are fully accredited just like any civilian GPR/AEGD.

So you would have to go through a formal program, correct? Wouldn't that increase your obligation?
Is there a program/tour that you can complete for accreditation without adding time to your obligation? I have heard mixed things...

Since I have no past military experience, I am cautious about adding to my obligation.

Thanks!!

Navy HPSP Class of 2017

Thanks!!

Navy HPSP Class of 2017

My understanding is that the year you do for GPR/AEGD would count as a "neutral year", meaning it would neither add nor subtract from the total amount of years you'd have to serve for HPSP.

If you are a 4 year recipient, and you decide to do a 1 year GPR/AEGD, you'd do the 1 year GPR/AEGD, but then you would still have to work the 4 years to payback HPSP scholarship. Thus, you'd be in for 5 years.

That is correct. One neutral year and then 4 years after that.

Keep in Mind you are getting paid your regular salary when you are in the residency. This is going to be 2-3X what you would get in any civilian residency. Plus the experience is worth even more.

That is correct. One neutral year and then 4 years after that.

Keep in Mind you are getting paid your regular salary when you are in the residency. This is going to be 2-3X what you would get in any civilian residency. Plus the experience is worth even more.
I cannot seem to contact the person in charge of California Licensing.

Do you know if 4 years of practicing as a Navy Dentist without a 1 yr GPR/AEGD residency and WITHOUT ever taking the WREB, are enough to gain California licensure?

Reviving this thread,

Does anyone know about California licensure by reciprocity?

For example, if I was lucky enough to work in San Diego as a Navy Dentist during my 4 years payback, would this be enough for me to gain California licensure by reciprocity?

I was able to gain some knowledge while visiting the california base.

If you wish to obtain California licensure by residency you must be in the state for 11 months and 30 days (making it almost a 12 month period). if you wish to do so you must ask your detailer to maintain your stay for that 12 months otherwise you will not be able to obtain the licensure.

If you somehow forget and get pcsed before that period you fail to obtain licensure in california and must be a practicing dentist fore more than 5 years.
For other states i think it was 10 months and 30 days which is 11 months

I was able to gain some knowledge while visiting the california base.

If you wish to obtain California licensure by residency you must be in the state for 11 months and 30 days (making it almost a 12 month period). if you wish to do so you must ask your detailer to maintain your stay for that 12 months otherwise you will not be able to obtain the licensure.

If you somehow forget and get pcsed before that period you fail to obtain licensure in california and must be a practicing dentist fore more than 5 years.
For other states i think it was 10 months and 30 days which is 11 months

Your orders will be for 12 months, however it is common to be cut loose a few weeks to a month early.