California Dermatology Supervisor and Operator permit exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guessguess1986

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on how to study for this? Any study guides? Anything helps

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice on how to study for this? Any study guides? Anything helps

I'm not sure what this is

A cursory Google search seems to indicate this position is a branch off the ARRT (I'm confused as to how they integrate dermatology and radiology)

Your post history seems to indicate that you are a MD graduate

What position are you targeting exactly?

I'm not sure what this is

A cursory Google search seems to indicate this position is a branch off the ARRT (I'm confused as to how they integrate dermatology and radiology)

Your post history seems to indicate that you are a MD graduate

What position are you targeting exactly?
I'm a radiology resident, but it looks like a permit to allow a Dermatologist to supervise the administration of therapeutic radiation? I thought this was mostly the purview of RadOnc, but I guess Derms do this too?

§ 17-30465. Requirements for Dermatology Permits.
(a) A dermatology supervisor and operator permit issued by the Department shall be required of any licentiate of the healing arts who practices dermatology, and who uses X-ray therapy equipment for the treatment of diseases and tumors of the skin or does one or more of the following:
(1) Supervises one or more certified therapeutic radiologic technologists during the treatment of diseases and tumors of the skin.
(2) Supervises one or more limited permit X-ray technicians holding the permit category of dermatology X-ray therapy.
(3) Supervises students in an approved school when the student is operating therapeutic X-ray equipment limited to the treatment of diseases and tumors of the skin.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 114870(a) and 131200, Health and Safety Code. Reference: Sections 114870(e), 131050, 131051 and 131052, Health and Safety Code.
View Document - California Code of Regulations

Members don't see this ad :)
Superficial radiation therapy for SCC/BCC in the elderly is a lucrative business. I don't use it but I know some derms that do. They have a tech that works for the company come to the clinic to do treatments and they supervise.

I'm a radiology resident, but it looks like a permit to allow a Dermatologist to supervise the administration of therapeutic radiation? I thought this was mostly the purview of RadOnc, but I guess Derms do this too?

§ 17-30465. Requirements for Dermatology Permits.
(a) A dermatology supervisor and operator permit issued by the Department shall be required of any licentiate of the healing arts who practices dermatology, and who uses X-ray therapy equipment for the treatment of diseases and tumors of the skin or does one or more of the following:
(1) Supervises one or more certified therapeutic radiologic technologists during the treatment of diseases and tumors of the skin.
(2) Supervises one or more limited permit X-ray technicians holding the permit category of dermatology X-ray therapy.
(3) Supervises students in an approved school when the student is operating therapeutic X-ray equipment limited to the treatment of diseases and tumors of the skin.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 114870(a) and 131200, Health and Safety Code. Reference: Sections 114870(e), 131050, 131051 and 131052, Health and Safety Code.
View Document - California Code of Regulations

That makes a little more sense

As mentioned above, superficial XRT is done (and heavily scrutinized) by some practices

Maybe California is different but at least where I practice, no license is necessary

I oversaw some as a fellow but don’t do any in my current practice (reimbursement was becoming increasingly more difficult thanks to heavy abuse)