Dermatology vs Psychiatry and neurosciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt Alex

Reaction score
Hello,

Graduated recently from med school, I always thought I wanted to do psychiatry, especially for my love of neurosciences (especially lab neurosciences, not clinical), cognitive psychology and social& cultural psychiatry (i did cultural anthropology before starting medicine).

Although i really like psychopharmacology and the chemistry beyond the drugs utilized in psy, I didn't enjoy my psy rotations, while I really like the visual study and procedures of dermatology.

For some aspects I'd prefer the latter, but i fear Id really miss all the neuroecience thing.

In particular, I like lab neurosciences, the arising of consciousness, neurons properties, and so on..

What should I choose (if I will match both, of course)? Is there any possibility to do research in fundamental neuroscience being a dermatologist?

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a few years removed from the application cycle so I will leave the first part for the more recently matched.

If you match to Derm and wish to continue to pursue your interests in psych, I will gladly send you all of my psychodermatology patients, as will many of my colleagues on this board ;)

Reactions: 5 users
One can carve out a niche in almost anything to be honest. There is of course the neuroscience of perception, cutaneous innervation, etc. However, if you like hardcore CNS neuroscience, I might say look elsewhere.

The sentiment about the dermpsych patients above x1000.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was exactly thinking about neuroscience of skin lime perception. Do you think would it possible? Considering also a PhD?

I was also a neuroscience major in undergrad, went to med school thinking I'd do psych, didn't like the psych rotations, and somehow finagled my way into Derm. My interest was more of the psychobiology and clinical medicine than the neurobiology, but it sounds like you may have some interest in both. As mentioned above, you can create a niche in whatever you'd like and I think you could find a niche in Derm, particularly with something like itch. There are plenty of opportunities to support research in these areas, and from what I've seen, getting a PhD first may be the way to go. Find some MD/PHD's in Derm that are doing what you want to do, and ask them for advice. My biggest piece of advice would be don't do psychiatry if you don't like the rotations. It won't get any better.

Reactions: 1 user