California 2009 Post Bacs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I'll be participating in the UCSF post bacc program as well. As far as I know, you are given the option of applying to medical school either this term (i.e. for Fall 2010) or the following (Fall 2011). They will help throughout this entire process, even after the program ends. I'm excited to begin the program and can't wait to meet everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

The postbac administrators do not like for students to apply during their first year in the program, because that minimizes your chances of getting into a medical school. Remember that the postbacs have as a goal to better the medical student applicant's profile as much as possible before you send out your application. I do know of students who have sent out their application on their first year and gotten in, but very rarely. You also get the ones who apply and do not get in, but performed well during their year and now have a re-applicant status, which would label your application as being rejected once from the process but still with a very good chance of being accepted to a medical school.

I am planning to pretty much do whatever the postbac committee recommends and if the committee thinks that I need to wait to apply, I am going to do that. It is probably only in my interest to listen to what they have to say since they have been doing this for the past 15-20 years or so. :thumbup:

Good luck to all the ones who got in! :luck:

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck at the UC post baccs. I have friends that each went to the post baccs in UCI, UCSD, and UCSF...and each matriculated into each of those med schools 2 yrs after! best of all, all received MULTIPLE acceptances and had a choice of what med school to attend! In addition, all students said their post bacc experience was the best thing that has happened to them.... i.e. they basically hold your hand until you get into med school, helping out with essays, interviewing skills, mcat prep, extracurricular activities, etc... And what better state then Cali! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone interviewed with UCI and still waiting to hear back???:xf:

I read your posts about plan B. Have you thought about going out of state, I believe Goucher is rolling admit. This year was especially hard with the budget cuts so don't give up! I'm in the same boat as you just got waitlist and no news from UCs. I believe the Cal state programs just closed their apps.

Hey all!
To all of this years post bac students congrats! I am very excited for all of you, I wish you luck on the dreaded MCAT and this upcoming semester. I will be applying next year for the program, but with the economic/financial burdens, I am nervous that they might cut the program all together. :( That would be my luck! Has anyone heard anything in regards to cutting funding for the program in the future years (considering UCLA had these issues this year?) Regardless, I cant wait to restart this thread in January! :xf: