California 2009 Post Bacs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry, you were probably looking at my profile and saw pre-dent (chose wrong on registration).

Anyways, I did get several publications but no international volunteering. I was hoping med schools would weigh my graduate degree more than my undergrad.

And no, I will not be a re-applicant if I do a post-bacc and I'm pretty sure asians are not underrepresented in the medical field so that would be a no I'm not an UMR.

I might do an informal post-bacc to refresh my memory for the MCATs, but that is costly. I'll probably try my hand at a post-bacc program next yr.

Thanks for any advice.

Ca schools in general look at the whole package undergrad and graduate studies so relying only on your graduate studies might be difficult. I know some schools in the east coast prefer graduate studies or more recent grade more than undergrad, such as Columbia (I actually asked the admin committee when she was at Stanford).

The benefit of applying to the formal post bac at Ca is that they will give you MCAT prep for free in the summer, but to qualify you have to be a under-represented or economically disadvantage. Since you are asian, you have to be economically disadvantage while growing up. And UCSF program has a 97% acceptance rate to medical school, and 12% of their post-bac students decides to do their med school at UCSF (higher number were extended acceptance).

Good luck in whatever you decide, but having their MPH and applying to CA post bac might make you a really competitive candidate. Assuming your MCAT is acceptable and your GPA at the post-bac is good.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone been accepted into the UCSD program?!?

nope not yet. i called yesterday and they told me i could find as late as next week. lame. i just want to know already. they told me we're gonna be notified by email if we got in or not.

i got a phone call from UCLA inviting me to an interview yesterday.

Congratulation on getting accepted,

I just finished my interview at UCSF today and before I left the interviewer mentioned that they already have made their decision on the candidates for this year's program and I should know by end of next week if I was selected. Which confused me a lot, why are they still interviewing if they have already select the candidates ?

Just curious whether anyone who interviewed late like myself for UCSF got the same feeling.

Not all the candidates have been selected, only about half of the total number of people that will be selected for this year's program. The decision-making committee will be meeting next Thurs. and should let us know by the following week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not all the candidates have been selected, only about half of the total number of people that will be selected for this year's program. The decision-making committee will be meeting next Thurs. and should let us know by the following week.

Thanks for letting me know, crossing my fingers.

hope everyone had a great memorial day weekend.

Let this week be filled with great news for everyone! :)

I'm sorry to hear that PostBaccHopeful :( Hopefully, something even better is on the way. But just out of curiosity, how were you notified?

sorry to hear about that postbachopeful. just hang in there.

on a brighter note, ucr just called for an interview invite. so there are still interviews out there being offered!

mandaness: i received an e-mail.

hlee016: i didn't apply to UCR because i'm not a UCR student.

I have to start thinking about plans B, C, D.... I am so disappointed. agh! Anyone got any other plans? Just want to know what other options I have out there. For now, plan B is to look for a research job (which I do not want to do)...

Really nervous now that I hear UCSD is sending out rejections!! I havent gotten any response yet so Im really crossing my fingers now.:oops:

Plan B for me would be a Masters in Public Health.......but not looking forward to studying for GRE at all.

I'm waiting for the UCSF program, any updates??

Giromi: did you get an interview for UCSF? They sent me some sort of 'secondary application' after my interview.

This applies to anyone that interviewed at UCSF: did you get a 'secondary application'?

Giromi: did you get an interview for UCSF? They sent me some sort of 'secondary application' after my interview.

This applies to anyone that interviewed at UCSF: did you get a 'secondary application'?

What did the secondary application consist of? Are you a first-time or re-applicant? I'm still waiting for UCSF too, and keeping my fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to hear about that postbachopeful. just hang in there.

on a brighter note, ucr just called for an interview invite. so there are still interviews out there being offered!

i have my ucr interview in exactly a half hour. ill let you know what its like.

i had ucla yesterday and the girl just asks a bunch of pre-planned questions, looks at you, writes what you say, then moves on to the next question.

ucsd was a way better interview, a very casual conversation, just talking back and forth

PostBaccHopeful: I did have an interview about 2 weeks ago. They gave a form to fill out..I'm not sure if that was the secondary application (I haven't checked my mail yet). They also took a picture, I thought it was a bit unusual. Did this happened to you?http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=259304

i never received a "secondary application". before my interview i had some paper work to fill out and had my picture taken like the majority of you guys have. after i interviewed, i received an acceptance email with a form attached for me to fill out stating whether or not i would participate and accept the offer. i'm not sure if that's the "secondary". however, it said after they received my acceptance form i would receive more documents.

hope that helps

It's the same form, but they called it 'secondary application' in the email. Yea, it's a bit strange that they asked for some sort of photo. Did you do a phone interview, Giromi?

Sigh, just received an email, been put on the alternate list at UCSF. I thought my interview went well... sigh. I guess interviewing late put me at a disadvantage.

Good luck for everyone who is still waiting to hear back. I think the result should come out pretty soon, tomorrow I think.

BTW, does Alternate List = hold list or is it a waitlist ??

Sigh, just received an email, been put on the alternate list at UCSF. I thought my interview went well... sigh. I guess interviewing late put me at a disadvantage.

Good luck for everyone who is still waiting to hear back. I think the result should come out pretty soon, tomorrow I think.

BTW, does Alternate List = hold list or is it a waitlist ??

I interviewed on the 18th of May, just got my acceptance today...
So don't give up yet...
Talking about interviewing late, I just had my UCSD yesterday...
Don't worry, we'll all be fine at the end of the day...

i got put on the alternate status list for ucsd. and yeah its basically a waiting list, if other people reject their acceptance then they move to their waiting list.

Anybody know if UCD is full? Or no longer offering interviewees?? How about UCSF?

Today I got a rejection letter from UCSF. :( I am still waiting on UCD. We'll see what happens.

I haven't heard back from any other UCs (interview or otherwise) besides UCSF, is this very common ?

Just got the reject letter from UCSF by snail mail... Holding out for UCD...:xf:

Anybody know if UCD is full? Or no longer offering interviewees?? How about UCSF?

I think UCSF and UCLA has finished interviewing (ended at May 28 I think). I am not sure about UCD.

Where did you hear that gl0bal? I called UCLA on Friday and they said they will still be calling people for interviews this week.

Where did you hear that gl0bal? I called UCLA on Friday and they said they will still be calling people for interviews this week.

An excerpt from the email I received from UCLA RAP:

"Dear UCLA Reapplication Program Applicant,
Thank you for your application. All files are under review. We will begin contacting individuals for interviews shortly. Interviews will be conducted May 18-May 29th, 2009. If you have any questions please contact our office at 310 825-3575. "

Since it's already June I am not holding my breathe on being interviewed at UCLA, unless they changed the interview date.

Hi all,
I've been reading this forum for some time and finally decided to register. I interviewed with all of the UC postbac programs. UCSD and UCSF sent me acceptace emails. Irvine did not give me an interview. Interviewed for Davis and UCLA but have heard nothing. I must make up my mind by tomorrow. Any suggestions on which program that has accepted me is better? thanks.

Hi all,
I've been reading this forum for some time and finally decided to register. I interviewed with all of the UC postbac programs. UCSD and UCSF sent me acceptace emails. Irvine did not give me an interview. Interviewed for Davis and UCLA but have heard nothing. I must make up my mind by tomorrow. Any suggestions on which program that has accepted me is better? thanks.

I heard the UCSD program is more structured in a sense that they advise you to take a certain sets of classes, anatomy, physiology, etc. In contrast to UCSF, which from my interview, does not seem to have any guidance in terms of which classes to take, as long as it's science.

UCSF program is larger 17 people in contrast to UCSD 10 or 12, which means there would be more funding per individual for UCSD students.

UCSF has an acceptance rate of 97% to a medical school and I am not sure what the stats are for UCSD. Also, know that at UCSD you're taking classes at UCSD versus taking it in SFSU @ UCSF. I'm not sure what you're preference is for UC versus State University; and how med school adcom view the quality of classes.

Both program is good, good luck in deciding, and I hope this helps.

I heard the UCSD program is more structured in a sense that they advise you to take a certain sets of classes, anatomy, physiology, etc. In contrast to UCSF, which from my interview, does not seem to have any guidance in terms of which classes to take, as long as it's science.

UCSF program is larger 17 people in contrast to UCSD 10 or 12, which means there would be more funding per individual for UCSD students.

UCSF has an acceptance rate of 97% to a medical school and I am not sure what the stats are for UCSD. Also, know that at UCSD you're taking classes at UCSD versus taking it in SFSU @ UCSF. I'm not sure what you're preference is for UC versus State University; and how med school adcom view the quality of classes.

Both program is good, good luck in deciding, and I hope this helps.

In addition to what has been mentioned above, UCSD has an acceptance rate of about 85% to a medical school. As mentioned above, you will be taking classes at a State Univ. if you decide on UCSF which in fact might be a better choice than taking classes at UCSD where students are extremely competitive. I would highly consider that factor because, please correct me if I'm wrong, we want to have better academic record.

Congrats on both of your acceptances! I would vote towards UCSF.

In addition to what has been mentioned above, UCSD has an acceptance rate of about 85% to a medical school. As mentioned above, you will be taking classes at a State Univ. if you decide on UCSF which in fact might be a better choice than taking classes at UCSD where students are extremely competitive. I would highly consider that factor because, please correct me if I'm wrong, we want to have better academic record.

Congrats on both of your acceptances! I would vote towards UCSF.

I also want to clarify my own posting. The 97 % acceptance mentioned during my interview might be referring only for the Reapplicant program not the first time admission.
And the rate refer to admission to a medical school, not necessarily a CA medical school or UCSF.
The interviewer mentioned that about 12% of student actually matriculate to UCSF (so linkage to UCSF is rather low) compared to other program such as UCLA or UCSD (that has majority of their student being accepted to their respective schools - high linkage).

and remember this comes up during my interview so I am only a second messenger and don't guarantee the accuracy of the information.

I'm interviewing with UCI tomorrow. :) For those of you who interviewed there, what is it like? Are there any tricky questions to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions you guys can provide.

Last edited:
I also want to clarify my own posting. The 97 % acceptance mentioned during my interview might be referring only for the Reapplicant program not the first time admission.
And the rate refer to admission to a medical school, not necessarily a CA medical school or UCSF.
The interviewer mentioned that about 12% of student actually matriculate to UCSF (so linkage to UCSF is rather low) compared to other program such as UCLA or UCSD (that has majority of their student being accepted to their respective schools - high linkage).

and remember this comes up during my interview so I am only a second messenger and don't guarantee the accuracy of the information.

During my UCSD interview, I didn't feel like the linkage to ucsd med school is that high either. I think the linkage to ucsf is higher - my interviewer even said so as she asked what other schools I've interviewed for.

During my UCSD interview, I didn't feel like the linkage to ucsd med school is that high either. I think the linkage to ucsf is higher - my interviewer even said so as she asked what other schools I've interviewed for.

Really, I'm surprised.
The stats for UCLA touted a ratio 23/50 of their student (who got into medical school) ended up @ David Geffen or Drew. I just assume that UCSD would have similar stats.

Today I got a rejection letter from UCSF. :( I am still waiting on UCD. We'll see what happens.

I recieved a rejection in the mail from UCSF too.

I have my interview with UCD TOMORROW! and they said it's their last interview. =/

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've decided on UCSD and have notified them of my acceptance. I faxed my nonacceptance of UCSF this morning. Good luck to all.:oops:

Last edited:
After much deliberation, I think I will be attending the UCSF program. Anyone going to UCSF ??

After much deliberation, I think I will be attending the UCSF program. Anyone going to UCSF ??

good stuff gl0baltrader. i just sent in my acceptance offer to UCSF too. see you in about 3 weeks.

I recieved a rejection in the mail from UCSF too.

I have my interview with UCD TOMORROW! and they said it's their last interview. =/

has anyone been accepted into UCD yet?

Hi hlee016 and gl0baltrader I will see you at UCSF on June 22nd :)

Unfortunately, you cannot apply to the program if you are not economically disadvantaged. You could probably do an informal post-bacc through something like UCLA Extension.
What does "economically disadvantaged" mean? If someone's been dependent to his/her salary only, and nothing else, and he/she won't even have that salary when starting to study the program, how does that count?

I've a family to look after (wife, son), and will leave my full-time job to study. So, am I economically disadvantaged?

after two months of waiting and being on hold for interviews, I finally received 2 emails... from UCD and UCI... to notify me that I've been rejected. Two rejections in 1 day. Ouch! No luck for me this year. Congrats to those who've been accepted. Make sure to put 110% dedication to the program because there are people out there, like me, who wish to be in your position.

What does "economically disadvantaged" mean? If someone's been dependent to his/her salary only, and nothing else, and he/she won't even have that salary when starting to study the program, how does that count?

I've a family to look after (wife, son), and will leave my full-time job to study. So, am I economically disadvantaged?

It's based on your family's income level and life experience during certain periods of your life. for example: 0-4, 8-12, 12-18, 18 - present

Did you work before the age of 18 and contribute to the family income ? Did you pay for college yourself, did you have equal access to education and medical care. What was your high school like ?That sort of things.

I don't think being unemployed constitute economically disadvantage.

after two months of waiting and being on hold for interviews, I finally received 2 emails... from UCD and UCI... to notify me that I've been rejected. Two rejections in 1 day. Ouch! No luck for me this year. Congrats to those who've been accepted. Make sure to put 110% dedication to the program because there are people out there, like me, who wish to be in your position.

Sorry abt the news PostBaccHopeful...:(

Has anybody else, like me, not heard anything back from UCD yet??:confused:

Today I received an acceptance email from UC Davis! :) I had been trying for three years to get into this program.

I know that some people received bad news today, but do not give up. If medicine is what you want to do, then it will happen for you. It is just a matter of time. :luck:

Who else got accepted to Davis?

Does anyone know how the waitlist go for UCSD? My friend was waitlisted and we both don't know how that works. Do they rank their waitlisted students? Did they overbook their acceptances just in case students decline (which means a lot of students need to decline their acceptances before UCSD moves on to the waitlist)?

Does anyone know how the waitlist go for UCSD? My friend was waitlisted and we both don't know how that works. Do they rank their waitlisted students? Did they overbook their acceptances just in case students decline (which means a lot of students need to decline their acceptances before UCSD moves on to the waitlist)?

If you are waitlisted keep letting them know that you are interested in the program and it is your number one choice. Send them updates and letter of interest - anything that would keep you "different" from the other waitlisters.

Good Luck

Hi everyone, I was accepted to the UCSF post bacc program. I know during the summer is full MCAT prep and then classes at SFSU during the fall and the spring. When do we apply to medical school during the program or after? I'm just curious to see how is going to work out