California 2009 Post Bacs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unfortunately, you cannot apply to the program if you are not economically disadvantaged. You could probably do an informal post-bacc through something like UCLA Extension.

I agree with above. You should look into enrolling into extension. Other programs you can look into are Scripps and Mills. Here is the AAMC website for all post-bacc

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that they care if you're interested in working in under-served communities, vs you being personally disadvantaged. I'm a super late applicant, doing the app right now, but hopefully I can somehow get an interview ( anyone think that's possible, this late in the game?).

It's not thaaat late. It's due in May. Get it done this week and make sure your transcripts, letters, and AMCAS are sent out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be healthy,

Regarding being disadvantaged, I also heard the same. Make sure you state that you are very interested in working within underserved communities on your personal statement. Also have something to back it up, such as volunteering in an underserved area. It's not too late but get that app in ASAP.

Another week of waiting begins...

Do you think we'll hear something this week? God, I hope so.

Good luck to everybody applying for the postbaccs. It is a great thing to do. My class has been very successful this app cycle. 10 out of the 14 applied and right now, about 8 of us have at least 1 acceptance. I really hope you all get to the great things the postbacc has to offer. God bless!

Do you guys know if they wait until everything is in to start looking at the app? They still have not received one of my LOR's but I hope they get it soon.

Do you guys know if they wait until everything is in to start looking at the app? They still have not received one of my LOR's but I hope they get it soon.

They wont start reviewing it until your application status says "complete" ...the director told me

It's like my heart skips a beat whenever my phone rings or whenever I receive an email between the hours of 9am to 5pm.

I have been looking at other pre-med forums, and nobody has heard anything yet from any program. It seems weird to me....I would think that the programs would have at least sent out confirmations of receiving your application.

Hey BlackDr2b,
In what month did you hear back and interview? Get acceptance? Thank you, it would help to know from someone who went through it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been looking at other pre-med forums, and nobody has heard anything yet from any program. It seems weird to me....I would think that the programs would have at least sent out confirmations of receiving your application.

Hey BlackDr2b,
In what month did you hear back and interview? Get acceptance? Thank you, it would help to know from someone who went through it.

Consider it a blessing Icure.. :)

Hey BlackDr2b,

I had my interview in early June, like on the 2nd, and I got my acceptance like a week later.

I had my interview in early June, like on the 2nd, and I got my acceptance like a week later.

wow..then you had realy little time to get up and running huh? Did you have to move or were you already close to UC Davis?

wow..then you had realy little time to get up and running huh? Did you have to move or were you already close to UC Davis?

I went to Sac State for undergrad, so I was right next door to Davis. Yeah, It wasn't that bad because for the summer portion we lived in the dorms. So housing was cool. It was just a matter of finding housing for the academic year. But that was fairly easy.

I HAVE AN INTERVIEW WITH UCSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April Fools :)

lol...you almost had me!

I wish it were true. Anyone hear anything?

I wish it were true. Anyone hear anything?

well the month of april has officially begun..a lot of those apps..have a deadline of april 10th..so it might not be so long till we hear from them...does anyone have a plan B if this doesnt work out?

Probably just take open U classes at sf state and sj state

btw, does anyone know of people with really low gpa's that have gotten into the UC postbac program?

Last edited:
I have a plan B! If this doesn't work out, I'll retake the MCAT with Princeton Review and hopefully score high and apply to med school again. But the post-bacc is a better plan, a much better plan.

I will do the csu eastbay informal PB. Anyone else looking at that route? it was pretty much the only csu PB open for next year since sjsu no longer takes 2nd baccs and sfsu is really limited as well. Good luck everyone

I plan on taking open university classes at my undergrad campus and studying like crazy for my MCAT over the summer.

Oh ya, I do have a conditional acceptance to St. George's, but I'd much rather stay in Cali.

Anyone heard aything yet...any interviews?? acceptances?? rejections?? etc etc...I'm waiting for april 10th...I think thats when all the action begins!!!

Actually, the action has begun. I just got an email rejection from UCI. :( And then five minutes later, I got an email from UCLA/CDU simply saying that they got my application material and interviews will begin at the end of April and the month of May.

One down, five more to go!

Actually, the action has begun. I just got an email rejection from UCI. :( And then five minutes later, I got an email from UCLA/CDU simply saying that they got my application material and interviews will begin at the end of April and the month of May.

One down, five more to go!

Mandanesss
…I just checked my email couple of minutes ago and I can cut copy paste what happened to you..is exactly what happened to me..rejected from UCI…and received by ucla..I also emailed the director of uc davis….If we still have a chance with other UCs even though we were rejected by one..I will feel better hearing it from her…anyways…still hoping and praying..! same boat girl..so far..

Aww, you too medlove! I'm so sorry to hear that. I had hoped that it was just me.

Let me know what Alicia from UCD tells you. She is so sweet. I always feel better after I talk to her.

Keep your hopes up and trust in God! We'll be accepted somewhere, I hope.

medlove and mandanesss,
I was bummed to hear the bad news, so sorry to hear that. Well..there is still hope in the other programs! Best of luck!!

Well hope for UCLA/CDU..because I heard the UCLA program has a linkage to CDU school of medicine..just pray for it.. :)

Really? You mean, if we did the UCLA/CDU post-bacc, we would gain a conditional acceptance to UCLA/CDU med school for the very next year?

Really? You mean, if we did the UCLA/CDU post-bacc, we would gain a conditional acceptance to UCLA/CDU med school for the very next year?

Thats what I heard...reading here and there..I hope it is true :D

Well that is very interesting medlove. I am thoroughly intrigued. Know anything about the regular UCLA post-bacc?

Well that is very interesting medlove. I am thoroughly intrigued. Know anything about the regular UCLA post-bacc?

Nope havent heard anything about that...
and thanks for your sympathy Icure..lol

geeeeeee tension is killing me...I'm working more just so I dont think about this 24/7

Here comes another week! Let's hope for good news; after all, it is Holy Week! lol

Here comes another week! Let's hope for good news; after all, it is Holy Week! lol

You are sooo right! Well lets hope for the best.. maybe we'll end up in the same school Mandanessss..! How tight would that be..!? Well lemme know if you hear anything.. ...sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That would be awesome if we ended up going to the same UC! I think we'd be good friends.

Ahhh.... I just want to get an email or phonecall for an interview. I think I would start crying out pure happiness if they called.

That would be awesome if we ended up going to the same UC! I think we'd be good friends.

Ahhh.... I just want to get an email or phonecall for an interview. I think I would start crying out pure happiness if they called.

I'd think so too :D..! she emailed me back saying..every UC is seperate..getting rejected from one doesnt mean all,..so there is still hope..! pray for good news this easter :D

Aww, Alicia McNease is quite possibly the nicest person alive! lol

Is there a UC that you prefer to get into?

Aww, Alicia McNease is quite possibly the nicest person alive! lol

Is there a UC that you prefer to get into?

Whatever comes I'll take! beggars cant be choosers..But If I do get into more than one (which is a dream) I like the one in san francisco..I have always wanted to move up north..What about you?

I completely agree. I'll take whatever I can get into, but I would really really really prefer either UCLA or UCLA/CDU. It would be a dream come true to be accepted there.

Let's pray for some good news tomorrow!

after 5 pm...another day no news....sighhhhhhh... :confused:

Same here... Maybe tomorrow? I think we'll hear some kind of news this week.

can we make a comprehensive list of all the schools in CA that have postbacs and their application dates? im pretty sure they have started accepting apps, but its good to know for readers when they started and when the deadlines are.

also, why is a community service letter needed for a post bac? i can get any LOR i need from any person i need, except from CS.. :scared:

You can make a comprehensive list. Here is a website that has all the post-baccs: http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

I think the community service letter is needed because the UCs are looking for people who enjoy giving back to the community. I think you can apply without one though.

Anyone here any news? I haven't :(

I heard that we dont really need a community service letter...then again..I'm not sure.. :S

I havent heard ANYTHING yet....pin drop silence.. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(