Calculated GPA? Do I have any chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scythe64

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently in the process of applying to several physical therapy schools. I know that becoming a physical therapist is what I want to do. However, I had a rough first two years of college and now its come back to haunt me during this whole process. I have tried so hard to make up for the first two years and just recently managed to get my GPA higher than a 3.0, but the calculation on PTCAS is significantly lower. I was wondering if schools actually do calculate the GPA of each applicant or if they use the GPA they see in PTCAS? Here are my stats.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.19 (this is what I graduated with)
PTCAS GPA: 2.68
Schools plan on applying to: Touro (Bayshore, Manhatten, NV), MCPHS, Mercy College, Western U, MSMC, University of North Florida, Hampton U

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine that most schools have so many applicants that they just use the GPA on PTCAS. What is your pre-req GPA? and how many of those courses in your GPA are retakes?

I would recommend you make sure the schools you apply to recalculate your GPA based on retakes. This is what I had to do. I have found that a lot of private schools recalculate and only use the GPA they calculate. I know the UNF looks at your highest attempt.