CA Resident - 3.85 cGPA, 29P MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fMRIng

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am an asian-indian male resident in CA. I have a 3.75 overall GPA with a 3.85 cGPA. My MCAT is a 29P (11,8,10).

Based on these stats, should I retake the MCAT or do I have a shot. I do have above average extra curriculars.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

well i do have 2 years of research at a clinical lab with 1 paper coming out in the next few months

i have been shadowing at the VA for 2 years now

I volunteer for a student health organization

I volunteer for a public health org and have published results

I volunteer with the red cross and write columns for the national newsletter

i am an officer of a premed club

i did medical work in latin america

i have very very solid LORs

i have worked at kaiser over the summer doing volunteering and shadowing

Members don't see this ad :)
well i do have 2 years of research at a clinical lab with 1 paper coming out in the next few months

i have been shadowing at the VA for 2 years now

I volunteer for a student health organization

I volunteer for a public health org and have published results

I volunteer with the red cross and write columns for the national newsletter

i am an officer of a premed club

i did medical work in latin america

i have very very solid LORs

i have worked at kaiser over the summer doing volunteering and shadowing

Average ECs are average.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

He's on the upper spectrum of that box so probably at 60%.

Disagree. OP does not have a state school fallback being as he's from CA.

Disagree. OP does not have a state school fallback being as he's from CA.

If you are willing to apply broad and OOS, CA disadvantage becomes a moot.

Someone did a thorough analysis here.

If you are willing to apply broad and OOS, CA disadvantage becomes a moot.

Someone did a thorough analysis here.

Thanks. Compared to the national average for OP's GPA/MCAT cohort, his chances are lower due to the inaccessibility of a state school at which he has an advantage. Better, idiot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks. Compared to the national average for OP's GPA/MCAT cohort, his chances are lower due to the inaccessibility of a state school at which he has an advantage. Better, idiot?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow someone needs to calm down...

I think you took my last sentence as a sarcasm lol...

I meant someone on SDN really did a thorough analysis of the whole CA disadvantage situation...I was just too lazy to source it.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not true.

"Originally Posted by sector9
California had 4,972 applicants out of 42,742 total MD applicants, including foreign applicants (meaning CA residents represented 11.6% of all applicants)

2,154 California residents matriculated into SOME US MD school. 18,665 people matriculated into US MD schools. That means 11.5% of the matriculants into US MD schools were CA residents. This number goes against the claim that California residents were discriminated against in the overall medical admissions process, since a 0.1% difference between national and CA resident matriculation percentage is not statistically significant.

Out of those 2,154 CA residents who matriculated somewhere, 856 of them were able to stay in CA.

There are a total of 1,100 MD seats in CA. Once again, there were a total of 18,665 available seats (assuming that the number of matriculants is the same as available seats). 5.9% of the available seats in the country are in CA. This number supports the claim that CA is vastly undersupported in terms of available seats when compared with the percent of applicants coming from the state (11.6%).

By way of comparison to the IS-friendly state of Texas, they have 1,448 available seats (7.8% of the nationwide seats) but they have 3,427 applicants (8.0% of the nationwide applicants). This shows that the numbers are skewed toward having a lower % of available seats than % of applicants in a state due to some states not having a medical school. Those states contribute a number of applicants to the pool without contributing any seats to the stats.

As far as CA being OOS-friendly or not, since there were 856 CA residents who stayed in CA for med school out of 1,100 seats, that means 77.8% of the CA medical schools spots went to CA residents. It's up to you to decide if that is OOS friendly or not. Of course, the UC schools are much less OOS friendly than the privates.

Here are the take-home messages:
1. CA applicants don't appear to be disadvantaged in the overall "admissions game", as long as they are willing to leave the state.
2. CA does not contribute enough seats to the overall US MD pool, forcing us Californians to apply and matriculate elsewhere.

All of these stats are the latest available from AMCAS (using 2010 year) from the AMCAS Facts page https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/"

Wow someone needs to calm down...

I think you took my last sentence as a sarcasm lol...

I meant someone on SDN really did a thorough analysis of the whole CA disadvantage situation...I was just too lazy to source it.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

My apologies. Cranky mood :(