CA Resident 3.52 cGPA... Possible to stay in CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kautionwirez

Hadoken!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a CA resident, graduated from a UC last year and now working full time in a research lab. I have a cGPA 3.52, sGPA 3.58. I had an upward trend but slumped down in senior year, due to personal losses I intend to state in my PS.

FR: 3.1
SO: 3.6 (~3.9 counting SO yr only)
JR: 3.7 (3.8 counting JR only)
SR. 3.5 (3.4 counting SR only)

I also had 3 withdrawals on my transcript because I couldn't handle my busy schedule with sports, research, and other classes.
I have a heavy research background:

1 year clinical research volunteer
6m research on diabetes, presentation
3 years translational science, abstract, currently publishing, AHA conference presentation
1 year fulltime biochemistry research, will be publishing 3+ papers
3.5 years in sports team
summer internship at Genentech
shadowed a pathologist
currently shadowing/observing CT surgeries
1.5 years volunteered in ER

I took my MCAT on 5/21 so I will not know my score until then. I am hoping for a 30+ but my averages were 27 on practices (because of low VR)... :(

I have made a broad list and am considering applying to 4 Caribbean schools as well.

University of Southern California
Loma Linda University
Stanford University
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Diego
University of California, San Francisco
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Howard University
Morehouse School of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University
Loyola University Chicago
Rush Medical College
University of Chicago
University of Illinois
Tulane University
Uniformed Services University
University of Maryland
Boston University
Tufts University
Dartmouth College
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
New York Medical College
Duke University
University of North Dakota
University of Toledo
Wright State University
Drexel University
West Virginia University
University of Wisconsin
Virginia Commonwealth University
Temple University
Jefferson Medical College

What would be my chances of staying in CA? and if any acceptances to med school at all?

Any help slimming down my list and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a CA resident, graduated from a UC last year and now working full time in a research lab. I have a cGPA 3.52, sGPA 3.58. I had an upward trend but slumped down in senior year, due to personal losses I intend to state in my PS.

FR: 3.1
SO: 3.6 (~3.9 counting SO yr only)
JR: 3.7 (3.8 counting JR only)
SR. 3.5 (3.4 counting SR only)

I also had 3 withdrawals on my transcript because I couldn't handle my busy schedule with sports, research, and other classes.
I have a heavy research background:

1 year clinical research volunteer
6m research on diabetes, presentation
3 years translational science, abstract, currently publishing, AHA conference presentation
1 year fulltime biochemistry research, will be publishing 3+ papers
3.5 years in sports team
summer internship at Genentech
shadowed a pathologist
currently shadowing/observing CT surgeries
1.5 years volunteered in ER

I took my MCAT on 5/21 so I will not know my score until then. I am hoping for a 30+ but my averages were 27 on practices (because of low VR)... :(

I have made a broad list and am considering applying to 4 Caribbean schools as well.

Loma Linda University
Stanford University
Georgetown University
Howard University
Morehouse School of Medicine
Rush Medical College
University of Chicago
University of Illinois
Tulane University
University of Maryland
Boston University
Tufts University
Dartmouth College
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
Duke University
University of North Dakota
University of Toledo
Wright State University
Drexel University
West Virginia University
University of Wisconsin
Temple University

What would be my chances of staying in CA? and if any acceptances to med school at all?

Any help slimming down my list and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Unless you get a 35+ MCAT the chances of staying in California are slim. I'm in a similar position as you (3.6/32/California resident) and I while I am applying to all the CA schools I realize they are a longshot. As a California resident we basically don't have a state school we can rely on like people form TX, FL, NY, etc. can so people with mid-level stats like us have to look OOS.

If you really want to stay in California consider the DO route. I'm also applying to the 2 DO schools in California and would go there if accepted and no MD acceptances.

Best of luck!

EDIT: Also I noticed you are applying to Howard, Morehouse, etc. and are Asian. You do know those are HBCU's right? While their stats are lower than the majority of MD schools they really target black applicants. Unless you have shown an interest to work in the inner-city black community with specific EC's I would not apply there as those schools are not as much stats-concerned as others.

Also North Dakota doesn't take OOS applicants unless they are from Montana, Wyoming, some other mountain state.

Unless you get a 35+ MCAT the chances of staying in California are slim. I'm in a similar position as you (3.6/32/California resident) and I while I am applying to all the CA schools I realize they are a longshot. As a California resident we basically don't have a state school we can rely on like people form TX, FL, NY, etc. can so people with mid-level stats like us have to look OOS.

If you really want to stay in California consider the DO route. I'm also applying to the 2 DO schools in California and would go there if accepted and no MD acceptances.

Best of luck!

EDIT: Also I noticed you are applying to Howard, Morehouse, etc. and are Asian. You do know those are HBCU's right? While their stats are lower than the majority of MD schools they really target black applicants. Unless you have shown an interest to work in the inner-city black community with specific EC's I would not apply there as those schools are not as much stats-concerned as others.

Also North Dakota doesn't take OOS applicants unless they are from Montana, Wyoming, some other mountain state.

thanks for the info.
I slimmed down the list based on what you told me.

Loma Linda University
Stanford University
Georgetown University
Rush Medical College
University of Chicago
University of Illinois
Tulane University
University of Maryland
Boston University
Tufts University
Dartmouth College
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
Duke University
University of Toledo
Wright State University
Drexel University
West Virginia University
University of Wisconsin
Temple University

Any other insight, modifying/slimming down my list, and other thoughts based upon my stats would be greatly appreciated. I kind of would like to slim it down to 25 schools because additionally I will apply to the Caribbean 4 accredited schools.

Also, should I turn in my application on the 1st of June?
I won't have my MCAT grade in until 6/21 and will also not be ready until then. You could send in that information later right?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
We are in the same boat (3.66, 33M) based on the feedback I get from people on sdn it seems that if your verbal score is sub 10 it is really hard to get into CA schools. I agree with the poster above me that you should definitely apply to more DO schools.

A lot depends on your MCAT. If you get 35 with no score below 10 then I think you got a shot at Cali schools. I know this one guy who got 29 on MCAT and 3.9 out of UCSD landed MD-PhD at Havard and UCLA but I think his research is either really significant or the professor who wrote his letter of rec very well known.

Anyone have suggestions on cutting down my list? I'm thinking about cutting out UCSF if my MCAT doesn't turn out well because I would like to have the chance to apply again next cycle if I don't make it the first time. Do you guys know other schools that discourage re applicants?

Last edited:

Last edited:
Cut out loma linda if you're not SDA or very christian. Or at least look into the lifestyle you'll be getting into.

Personally i would leave UCSF in because they don't require a secondary. It's worth a shot. Stanford on the other hand has a higher gpa and mcat average i believe, a smaller class size, and a longer secondary. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of those points. So if you want to cut out a CA school, I'd cut out Stanford.

I like loma linda because of their SDA/christian environment, so I will be applying there.

I am not sure about what you said about UCSF because my friend applied there several years ago and it required a secondary and a response within a week or two. On the website it says they discourage re applicants... I do see a reason to cut out stanford because my stats are below average for most CA schools but hoping my extracurriculars will help me stand out.

Personally i would leave UCSF in because they don't require a secondary. It's worth a shot.
UCSF doesn't require a secondary if you get screened out :laugh:
It sounds like an easy secondary though, since last years was only "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)"
I guess some people might consider that "no secondary" but UCSF will be glad to take your $60 to process it

Also UCLA strongly discourages a third application, so they might not look too favorably on one reapplication.

Well this is my first time applying, so I am probably going to apply to UCLA even though its a reach :/

I will think about removing Stanford off my list but would like feedback on OOS schools that I should consider removing.

Thanks!

I think your list is pretty reasonable (except for maybe some of the CA schools, but that's already been pointed out) but I wouldn't apply to University of Illinois. OOS tuition there is killer-- someone made a thread saying that it would be over $400k for 4 years since some years you have to stay over summer or something like that.

I think your list is pretty reasonable (except for maybe some of the CA schools, but that's already been pointed out) but I wouldn't apply to University of Illinois. OOS tuition there is killer-- someone made a thread saying that it would be over $400k for 4 years since some years you have to stay over summer or something like that.

woah, i am going to check the msar later tonight on average debt...

I guess I'll slim down my list on OOS schools based on debt

woah, i am going to check the msar later tonight on average debt...

I guess I'll slim down my list on OOS schools based on debt
Yeah, this is the thread. The guy went back and edited everything, presumably to be anonymous. Anyway, you can still get some info out of it
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=819754
You wouldn't know by looking at the MSAR since it only reports averages, and the average is much lower since Illinois has a lot of in-state students that don't pay as much. I don't want $450k in debt! (that's what this guy was quoted)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, this is the thread. The guy went back and edited everything, presumably to be anonymous. Anyway, you can still get some info out of it
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=819754
You wouldn't know by looking at the MSAR since it only reports averages, and the average is much lower since Illinois has a lot of in-state students that don't pay as much. I don't want $450k in debt! (that's what this guy was quoted)

ty for the info, im taking UoI out

1. University of Southern California
2. Loma Linda University
3. Stanford University (considering taking it off)
4. University of California, Davis
5. University of California, Irvine
6. University of California, Los Angeles
7. University of California, San Diego
8. University of California, San Francisco (dream school :rolleyes: , might take it off if I don't have a decent MCAT score)
9. George Washington University
10. Georgetown University
11. Howard University
12. Morehouse School of Medicine
13. Rosalind Franklin University
14. Loyola University Chicago
15. Rush Medical College
16. University of Chicago
17. Tulane University
18. Uniformed Services University
19. University of Maryland
20. Boston University
21. Tufts University
22. Dartmouth College
23. Albany Medical College
24. Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
25. New York Medical College
26. Duke University
27. University of North Dakota
28. University of Toledo
29. Wright State University
30. Drexel University
31. West Virginia University
32. University of Wisconsin
33. Virginia Commonwealth University
34. Temple University
35. Jefferson Medical College
36-39. Caribbean
40-41. DO?

What do I need for DO schools in particular? Shadowing experience with a DO?

2. Loma Linda University
3. Stanford University (considering taking it off)
4. University of California, Davis
5. University of California, Irvine
6. University of California, Los Angeles
7. University of California, San Diego
8. University of California, San Francisco (dream school :rolleyes: , might take it off if I don't have a decent MCAT score)
9. George Washington University
10. Georgetown University
11. Howard University
12. Morehouse School of Medicine

13. Rosalind Franklin University
14. Loyola University Chicago
15. Rush Medical College
16. University of Chicago
17. Tulane University
18. Uniformed Services University
19. University of Maryland
20. Boston University
21. Tufts University
22. Dartmouth College
23. Albany Medical College
24. Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
25. New York Medical College
26. Duke University
27. University of North Dakota
28. University of Toledo
29. Wright State University
30. Drexel University
31. West Virginia University
32. University of Wisconsin
33. Virginia Commonwealth University
34. Temple University
35. Jefferson Medical College
36-39. Caribbean
40-41. DO?

You still need to remove Moorhouse and Howard. Seriously, unless you're black or work with the black community you have NO shot.

I would cut Stanford, its more than a longshot.

I would also cut Georgetown, they get an obscene number of apps every year and their secondary fee is the highest of any $130. Most candidates (especially below average ones) get their rejection letter as soon as the check is cashed.

North Dakota isn't going to consider you.

As far as your original question, could you end up in California? Sure. Is it likely? No. 50% of applicants are accepted to medical school, in Cali half of the applicants get into California medical schools. So statistically any given applicant has about 25% chance of acceptance at a Cali school (may be slightly lower these days - thats what it was a few years ago).

Lastly, skip the Caribbean and just apply DO. DO>Caribbean every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I would also cut Georgetown, they get an obscene number of apps every year and their secondary fee is the highest of any $130. Most candidates (especially below average ones) get their rejection letter as soon as the check is cashed.
I also am considering applying for Georgetown. What is considered below average? What would make you attractive to Georgetown?

You still need to remove Moorhouse and Howard. Seriously, unless you're black or work with the black community you have NO shot.

I would cut Stanford, its more than a longshot.

North Dakota isn't going to consider you.

As far as your original question, could you end up in California? Sure. Is it likely? No. 50% of applicants are accepted to medical school, in Cali half of the applicants get into California medical schools. So statistically any given applicant has about 25% chance of acceptance at a Cali school (may be slightly lower these days - thats what it was a few years ago).

Lastly, skip the Caribbean and just apply DO. DO>Caribbean every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I thought I cut out howard/morehouse/north dakota...

2. Loma Linda University
3. University of California, Davis
4. University of California, Irvine
5. University of California, Los Angeles
6. University of California, San Diego
7. University of California, San Francisco (dream school , might take it off if I don't have a decent MCAT score)
8. George Washington University (cut out?)
9. Georgetown University (cut out?)
10. Rosalind Franklin University
11. Loyola University Chicago
12. Rush Medical College
13. University of Chicago
14. Tulane University
15. Uniformed Services University
16. University of Maryland
17. Boston University
18. Tufts University
19. Dartmouth College
20. Albany Medical College
21. Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
22. New York Medical College
23. Duke University
24. University of Toledo
25. Wright State University
26. Drexel University
27. West Virginia University
28. University of Wisconsin
29. Virginia Commonwealth University
30. Temple University
31. Jefferson Medical College
32-35. Caribbean (cut out?)
36-37. DO?

I also read how much harder it is carib than DO to match in residencies... but as long as I work hard, do well on boards, and do that extra time I will be ok right? (let's say I wanted to be in a gen. surg. res.)

and if I cut out georgetown, might as well cut out george wash? because both of them have 8000+ apps and select ~150.

thanks for your advices everyone! (Please God, let my MCAT score be very generous!)

Last edited:
I also read how much harder it is carib than DO to match in residencies... but as long as I work hard, do well on boards, and do that extra time I will be ok right? (let's say I wanted to be in a gen. surg. res.)
No. "As long as you work hard and do well on the boards" you could still end up unmatched. Not to mention the likelihood of just being kicked out of med school for failing something in the first 2 years before you ever make it to boards.

If you know that residency is harder from Carib than DO then why would you prefer the Caribbean? A DO student has a much better chance of matching an MD general surg residency than a Caribbean student. Also the DO student doesn't go to a school with a 50% attrition rate.
and if I cut out georgetown, might as well cut out george wash? because both of them have 8000+ apps and select ~150.
Not necessarily, George Washingtons numbers are slightly less competitive and their secondary is cheap.

No. "As long as you work hard and do well on the boards" you could still end up unmatched. Not to mention the likelihood of just being kicked out of med school for failing something in the first 2 years before you ever make it to boards.

If you know that residency is harder from Carib than DO then why would you prefer the Caribbean? A DO student has a much better chance of matching an MD general surg residency than a Caribbean student. Also the DO student doesn't go to a school with a 50% attrition rate.

Not necessarily, George Washingtons numbers are slightly less competitive and their secondary is cheap.

I actually didn't know how much harder it is to get residency for carib schools. The only thing I am concerned about is the possibility to work outside of the U.S. with a D.O. degree. That is why I was leaning toward a MD degree in particular.

Thanks for the info on GW. Everyone has been so helpful! thank you!

2. Loma Linda University
7. University of California, San Francisco (dream school , might take it off if I don't have a decent MCAT score)
8. George Washington University
9. Western
12. Rush Medical College
14. Tulane University
17. Boston University
18. Tufts University
19. Dartmouth College
23. Duke University
24. University of Toledo
26. Drexel University
30. Temple University
36-37. DO?

how many DO schools should I apply to? I heard I need DO shadowing experience and there are 2 in california...

Last edited:
I actually didn't know how much harder it is to get residency for carib schools. The only thing I am concerned about is the possibility to work outside of the U.S. with a D.O. degree. That is why I was leaning toward a MD degree in particular.

2. Loma Linda University
9. Western
12. Rush Medical College
14. Tulane University
17. Boston University
18. Tufts University
19. Dartmouth College
23. Duke University
24. University of Toledo
26. Drexel University
30. Temple University
36-37. DO?

how many DO schools should I apply to? I heard I need DO shadowing experience and there are 2 in california...

yea, some DO schools require a DO LOR; however, i don't think that the 2 in cali "require" it (i think they recommend it). And i'm sure @ the interviews they will ask about why you want to go the osteopathic route.

According to the msar (last year's), only ~100 out of 5000 oos people got interviews, so if you want to take out another school...

2. Loma Linda University
9. Western
12. Rush Medical College
14. Tulane University
17. Boston University
18. Tufts University
19. Dartmouth College
23. Duke University
24. University of Toledo
26. Drexel University
30. Temple University
36-37. DO?

I suggest you cut out University of Chicago. You're not in their stat range (3.9/36)

Western has an MD school??? Why not add OHSU?

Western has an MD school??? Why not add OHSU?

2. Loma Linda University
9. Western
12. Rush Medical College
13. Georgetown
14. Tulane University
17. Boston University
18. Tufts University
19. Dartmouth College
23. Duke University
24. University of Toledo
26. Drexel University
30. Temple University
36-37. DO?

I'm gonna replace georgetown with chicago because my stats, even though its gonna be expensive, (might as well...)
I actually found out I might be eligible for FAP? so im hoping that will help :xf:

If I say money ain't a factor, should I just apply to all the DO schools?
I feel like its a crap shoot for me.

my MCAT practice range:
PS (10-12): I feel I did very well on the test, hoping for a 13
VR (6-8): easy read, kind of got ancy and felt like i messed up because i got a caffeine rush...
BS (10-12): It felt like a 10
Total (26-32): hoping for a 30+

some people are stating that I should omit my reason for my downward slump on my GPA senior year. But on the AMCAS, it says that I actually should.

Anyone have their opinion on this? Because I if I didn't have my problems my senior year, i had the possibility of improving my cGPA to 3.6-3.7
(i had to miss several classes beginning on later in the quarters..)

some people are stating that I should omit my reason for my downward slump on my GPA senior year. But on the AMCAS, it says that I actually should.

Anyone have their opinion on this? Because I if I didn't have my problems my senior year, i had the possibility of improving my cGPA to 3.6-3.7
(i had to miss several classes beginning on later in the quarters..)
My opinion is that in general the PS should stay positive, not call attention to the blemishes on your record, and should stick to "Why Medicine?" As an alternative, many Secondary essay topics can be used for the purpose of explaining a downward grade trend.

My opinion is that in general the PS should stay positive, not call attention to the blemishes on your record, and should stick to "Why Medicine?" As an alternative, many Secondary essay topics can be used for the purpose of explaining a downward grade trend.

Thanks, I will mention it in secondaries then.

I will most likely have 7 letters of recommendation, working on shadowing/receiving an LOR from a DO.

3 professors, 2 sci/1non sci
2 PIs current/previous (MD)
sports coach
physician (DO)

is that too much? I believe that both my PIs/coach/2 prof will give me strong/very strong LORs. and I will need one from the physician.

thanks Catalystik

It looks like I will be applying to these schools:

2. Loma Linda University
7. University of California, San Francisco (I'll just leave it on here, no one is saying to take it off)
9. Western
12. Rush Medical College
13. Georgetown
14. Tulane University
17. Boston University
18. Tufts University
19. Dartmouth College
23. Duke University
24. University of Toledo
26. Drexel University
30. Temple University
32. Touro
33. AUA (considering)
34. SGU (considering)
35. Ross (considering)

It's already been said, but I would drop the Caribbean schools. Your stats are pretty much the average for US DO, so I don't know why you would want to drop your residency competitiveness so much by going Caribbean

It's already been said, but I would drop the Caribbean schools. Your stats are pretty much the average for US DO, so I don't know why you would want to drop your residency competitiveness so much by going Caribbean

2. Loma Linda University
7. University of California, San Francisco (I'll just leave it on here, no one is saying to take it off)
9. Western
12. Rush Medical College
13. Georgetown
14. Tulane University
17. Boston University
18. Tufts University
19. Dartmouth College
23. Duke University
24. University of Toledo
26. Drexel University
30. Temple University
32. Touro
33. Wayne State
34. Saint Louis University
35. Michigan State University

Is there any more MD backups I can add? I believe I will be eligble for FAP, so money will not be an issue (at least for primaries).
From the consensus from everyone I talked to (forums, friends, med students), I will not apply to the Caribbean.

I am also predicting my MCAT score to be 30. (can range from 25-32)

Can you really afford this craziness? Both economically and time spent on secondaries? If you're really going to waste your money in the Caribbean, don't apply to AUA or Ross. Stick to SGU and AUC. I wouldn't apply to Osteopathic if I were you because it's clearly something that you're not into. It will reveal itself in interviews, especially if they ask where else you applied and that's 30 MD schools and only 2 DO. Besides, would you truly be happy there? I've seen many in your situation that only get the DO acceptance and struggle to matriculate and sometimes just leave off to reapply.

Also, if you're non-URM and end up with lower than a 30 on the MCAT, I suggest you don't apply to any California campus.

Can you really afford this craziness? Both economically and time spent on secondaries? If you're really going to waste your money in the Caribbean, don't apply to AUA or Ross. Stick to SGU and AUC. I wouldn't apply to Osteopathic if I were you because it's clearly something that you're not into. It will reveal itself in interviews, especially if they ask where else you applied and that's 30 MD schools and only 2 DO. Besides, would you truly be happy there? I've seen many in your situation that only get the DO acceptance and struggle to matriculate and sometimes just leave off to reapply.

Also, if you're non-URM and end up with lower than a 30 on the MCAT, I suggest you don't apply to any California campus.

I removed Caribbean off my list, don't know if you read my last post...

For DO/MD, I have no real preference except for that fact that DO is not recognized in some/most? foreign countries, and I do not really believe in osteopathic manipulation massages (they have not worked for me). I have met many MDs in the past 4 years and from the experiences they shared with me, being an MD (or a physician in general) is rewarding as well as intriguing.

I am applying to 2 DO schools in California, I have not researched nor do I really know about other DO schools. I haven't looked into that yet.

Is it possible to apply to other schools after I submit my AMCAS? or do I have to make my decision right when I hit the submit button? (from Triage's suggestion, I guess I will not apply the CA unless I see my scores 30+ on 6/21)

I feel like I am being flamed... :(

Is it possible to apply to other schools after I submit my AMCAS? or do I have to make my decision right when I hit the submit button? (from Triage's suggestion, I guess I will not apply the CA unless I see my scores 30+ on 6/21)
It is definitely possible to add more schools after you submit. For example, a common strategy here on SDN is to apply today (June 1) to only one lower tier school. This way, your transcripts gets verified fast. Once you get your MCAT back, then you can finalize your list. All you have to do is add the schools, then hit submit (which is really a resubmission) and pay the 33$ per school fee. AMCAS will transmit your application by the next day.

The drawback is that your PS and your EC's all need to be in final form because you CANNOT modify them when you resubmit. There are only a few things you can alter after you've submitted, but one of those things is the schools list (you can't delete schools though).

I think triage has a point. Some of the CA schools have an MCAT of 30 as the 10th %ile for their scores. It wouldn't be worth it to apply to them unless you know your score. Check the MSAR for specific numbers

It is definitely possible to add more schools after you submit. For example, a common strategy here on SDN is to apply today (June 1) to only one lower tier school. This way, your transcripts gets verified fast. Once you get your MCAT back, then you can finalize your list. All you have to do is add the schools, then hit submit (which is really a resubmission) and pay the 33$ per school fee. AMCAS will transmit your application by the next day.

The drawback is that your PS and your EC's all need to be in final form because you CANNOT modify them when you resubmit. There are only a few things you can alter after you've submitted, but one of those things is the schools list (you can't delete schools though).

I think triage has a point. Some of the CA schools have an MCAT of 30 as the 10th %ile for their scores. It wouldn't be worth it to apply to them unless you know your score. Check the MSAR for specific numbers

Thank you very much! That was very informative.

Unfortunately I haven't started my EC list! And I am working on my PS atm.

I will apply to higher tier schools when I find out my MCAT score

How do you know the 10 %ile? is that with the new MSAR? I have the 2008-2009 edition or the later year...

How do you know the 10 %ile? is that with the new MSAR? I have the 2008-2009 edition or the later year...
No problem.

The 10th %ile is in the MSAR. I don't know when they started doing it, but my 2011-2012 paper copy and 2012-2013 internet version both have them listed. The internet version is recommended. It's only $15, and if it can eliminate one school that you would otherwise apply to, then you are already saving $33

No problem.

The 10th %ile is in the MSAR. I don't know when they started doing it, but my 2011-2012 paper copy and 2012-2013 internet version both have them listed. The internet version is recommended. It's only $15, and if it can eliminate one school that you would otherwise apply to, then you are already saving $33

thanks, i just bought it. It is way more useful than the 08-09 version @@.

It seems like virtually every school except UCs screen for secondaries..... I can understand now why applying to so many is not an easy task....(knowing that some will reject you before they look at secondaries :( )

I removed Caribbean off my list, don't know if you read my last post...

For DO/MD, I have no real preference except for that fact that DO is not recognized in some/most? foreign countries, and I do not really believe in osteopathic manipulation massages (they have not worked for me). I have met many MDs in the past 4 years and from the experiences they shared with me, being an MD (or a physician in general) is rewarding as well as intriguing.

I am applying to 2 DO schools in California, I have not researched nor do I really know about other DO schools. I haven't looked into that yet.

I feel like I am being flamed... :(
I'm not trying to flame you. I do, however, think that list is too big. If money is not a problem, I say go for it in those terms, but I believe in terms of secondaries, you might end up hurting.

I really don't think you should apply Osteopathic. I think you'll be unhappy with a DO degree and learning manipulation. While I disagree with your statement about effectiveness, I have no problem with you holding that opinion. The jury is still out on many Osteopathic techniques. I think you might be better off re-applying MD if you fail the first time around than accepting a DO offer.

I'm not trying to flame you. I do, however, think that list is too big. If money is not a problem, I say go for it in those terms, but I believe in terms of secondaries, you might end up hurting.

I really don't think you should apply Osteopathic. I think you'll be unhappy with a DO degree and learning manipulation. While I disagree with your statement about effectiveness, I have no problem with you holding that opinion. The jury is still out on many Osteopathic techniques. I think you might be better off re-applying MD if you fail the first time around than accepting a DO offer.

Thanks for your advice, I will consult my friends, family, and people on SDN looking at this post that have their own advice whether or not to apply to DO. I am learning a lot from this thread and it has been very helpful. I do feel like this is constructive criticism and honest opinion, so I will take it positively.
19 days til my MCAT scores released... (6/21/11 :xf: )
Ultimately that will be the change of my course for everything.... :confused:

Thanks for your advice, I will consult my friends, family, and people on SDN looking at this post that have their own advice whether or not to apply to DO. I am learning a lot from this thread and it has been very helpful. I do feel like this is constructive criticism and honest opinion, so I will take it positively.
19 days til my MCAT scores released... (6/21/11 :xf: )
Ultimately that will be the change of my course for everything.... :confused:
Sure. I think if believe you'd be happy with DO, go for it. It's just more challenging coming in with a negative attitude about some of the training. However, I'm positive that you're aware of the fact that the rest of the education is almost the same (I hear less emphasis on biochemistry and immunology).

I saw you put West Virginia University in your list. Don't quote me on this, but I thought they didn't accept OOS except those from states directly bordering West Virginia? Might be good to look into their OOS policies.

Here are all the schools that I applied to thus far (without MCAT score, predicting 30+ w/ low VR 6-8):

1. Creighton University School of Medicine
2. Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
3. Loma Linda University School of Medicine
4. LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans
5. Michigan State University
6. Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
7. Tulane University School of Medicine
8. University of South Carolina School of Medicine

DO schools applied to:

1. A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
2. Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ
3. Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, IL
4. Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
5. Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California, CA
6. Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV
7. West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Admissions Office, WV
8. Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA

I am planning to apply to more when I receive my score from my previous posts.

How does it look so far?

Here are all the schools that I applied to thus far (without MCAT score, predicting 30+ w/ low VR 6-8):

2. Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
3. Loma Linda University School of Medicine
4. LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans
5. Michigan State University
6. Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
7. Tulane University School of Medicine
8. University of South Carolina School of Medicine

DO schools applied to:

8. Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA

I am planning to apply to more when I receive my score from my previous posts.

How does it look so far?

You do know LSU only accepts OOS students for MD, PhD or if their paretns are LSU med alums, right?

For the 2014 class, Tulane had a median MCAT of 32. With a 6-8 in verbal, you would have needed to do exceptionally well in physical and biological sciences to be close to that median. Besides did you even look at the MSAR? Did you check the 10% verbal MCAT scores for Tulane or Creighton?

MI and SC have very, very high tuition for OOS students, and in MI, students are ineligible to qualify for in-state tuition, and it looks like South Carolina has a similar policy http://www.collegeboard.com/about/association/international/pdf/sr_SC01.pdf

Seriously, you are all over the place on your school list: buy the MSAR and know which schools to apply to so you don't p*ss your money away. With the exception of Hofstra, Creighton, and your DO schools, I think you are missing the mark big-time

You do know LSU only accepts OOS students for MD, PhD or if their paretns are LSU med alums, right?

For the 2014 class, Tulane had a median MCAT of 32. With a 6-8 in verbal, you would have needed to do exceptionally well in physical and biological sciences to be close to that median. Besides did you even look at the MSAR? Did you check the 10% verbal MCAT scores for Tulane or Creighton?

MI and SC have very, very high tuition for OOS students, and in MI, students are ineligible to qualify for in-state tuition, and it looks like South Carolina has a similar policy http://www.collegeboard.com/about/association/international/pdf/sr_SC01.pdf

Seriously, you are all over the place on your school list: buy the MSAR and know which schools to apply to so you don't p*ss your money away. With the exception of Hofstra, Creighton, and your DO schools, I think you are missing the mark big-time

A friend that just finished MS3, suggested LSU/MI. LSU stated that in 2012 they will accept 40 OOS applicants. I did buy the MSAR, I know that SC had high tuition but it was on the lower range. I also did look at the MSARs before I chose these schools. The schools all have a VR 10% of either 7/8....

40-41. DO?

i applied to TCOM (the DO school in North Texas), and just finished their secondary. they asked in their secondary about what you think the difference is between MD and DO, and they STRONGLY recommend a LOR from a DO physician. they also asked about any personal experience you've had with a DO

I shadowed a DO internist, so I had a lot to write here. from what i understand, shadowing a DO is pretty important for DO acceptance

i applied to TCOM (the DO school in North Texas), and just finished their secondary. they asked in their secondary about what you think the difference is between MD and DO, and they STRONGLY recommend a LOR from a DO physician. they also asked about any personal experience you've had with a DO

I shadowed a DO internist, so I had a lot to write here. from what i understand, shadowing a DO is pretty important for DO acceptance

Thanks for the insight.

I just recently shadowed a DO ortho surgeon so I will probably get a LOR in late july/mid august.

I got a 32 Q!!!!!!!!

9 VR 11ps 12bs q

Totally thought I was going to get a 6-7 on verbal and a 13 on PS and a 10 on bs

My stats are now updated to 3.52 cGPA 3.58 sGPA, 9 VR, 11 PS, 12 BS Q

Here are all the schools I applied to so far:

2. David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
3. Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
4. Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
5. Loma Linda University School of Medicine
6. LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans
7. Michigan State University
8. Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
9. Saint Louis University School of Medicine
10. Tulane University School of Medicine
11. University of California San Diego
12. University of California San Francisco
13. University of California, Davis School of Medicine
14. University of California, Irvine- College/Medicine
15. University of South Carolina School of Medicine
16. Wayne State University School of Medicine

DO schools applied to:

I would like to add more MD schools, and I was thinking:

GWU, Boston Med, Duke (longshot), Georgetown, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Rosalind, just on my mind atm