CA law against volunteering/shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PippyPony

not a wolf
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get some shadowing experience, and finding it really tough in California. I recently found out why it might be so tough...apparently there's a law against "volunteering" in a vet clinic unless you can prove you're in a RVT program or vet school.

According to the website of the hospital where I take my cat:

"We love to hear about young adults that are excited to get experience in the veterinary profession and to work with pets. Unfortunately a California law prohibits us from taking volunteers unless it is a student associated with an RVT program. We find this particularly unfortunate because many of our doctors and staff started their careers volunteering at vet hospitals (some even volunteering here-see the doctor profiles to find out who!) just like you were hoping to do."

They do offer a one-time 4-5 hour shadow session, but say they legally can't do more than that. The shelter where I volunteer as a cat socializer also has similar rules -- they don't let volunteers shadow vets or work in direct proximity to the vets or the techs because of the same legal reasons.

Has anyone else run into this?

On a similar note, I've noticed that many states are tightening up the legal definition of RVTs and Veterinary Assistants, which affects who can apply for those roles, so even if I were to quit my job (I work full-time in another industry), I likely couldn't get an actual job at a vet clinic without going to school.

Any ideas? I was thinking of emailing an admissions counsellor at my top choice vet school to ask them for suggestions to work around the shadowing law, but thought I'd ask around here first...

Members don't see this ad.

Can't say I've heard this before. I live in California and have done all... actually most of.. my volunteering in California in both a veterinary clinic and a shelter. I also am currently working as a "veterinary assistant" without any formal training, only training provided through the SA clinic I work at. I do everything that the RVTs do except for induction (...techs don't do extractions where I work, only doctors). Have you tried other clinics beside the one you take your pet to? Do you mind me asking what part of California you are from? I'm in the bay area and can point you in the direction of the shelter I was at..

I also hadn't heard that before, and I volunteer/ shadow in California in both private and shelter clinics. The laws seem quite broad for what's allowed by vet assistants (i.e. people who aren't vets or RVTs). As for "tightening up" on the definitions of vet assistants, isn't that mostly just for those who handle controlled substances?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take the 4-5 hour shadow session, and see what happens when you're talking to the vets. They may allow you to shadow more days once they get to know you and see that you act professionally. I started out with a one-day shadowing opportunity, and it turned into a really nice weekly shadowing opportunity. And you may have to settle for just shadowing and not getting to do anything hands-on, because a lot of clinics are pretty strict about not letting shadows touch anything. Does the law in CA apply to shadows, or only volunteers?

Also, have you looked at kennel assistant jobs? Sometimes you can find one that doesn't require previous veterinary experience, as long as you have lots of experience taking care of animals at shelters and other places. You'll end up doing lots of cleaning and not making much money, but it can be a good way to get experience in a vet clinic, which will likely make you more qualified to apply for an assistant position later.

Sure, I'm in the south bay. I've tried a couple of other clinics, and I volunteer at the SF SPCA -- that's the one that no longer lets volunteers shadow/work with the vets :(

I've never heard of this law before, either. Back when I was in high school I had no problem volunteering/working for pay as a vet assistant. To me there's a very clear distinction between vet assistant and RVT/CVT, which is purely a matter of training/schooling/licensing.

The only thing I could find with a quick Google search is this one, which just states that vet assistants are subject to background checks before hiring:
http://www.cvma.net/images/cvmapdf/BackgroundChecks.pdf

Just for ****s and giggles (for anyone interested), here's a PDF stating each state's distinction between RVTs and assistants.
https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/StateAndLocal/Documents/scope_vet_assistant_duties.pdf

EDIT

I'm not very surprised that the SF SPCA doesn't allow volunteers to shadow vets. I used to work at the East Bay SPCA in Oakland as one of the Animal Care Coordinators and none of the volunteers were allowed in the adjacent clinic or the shelter's "back room". However, my job role consisted of doing a lot of assistant work (administering meds/vaccines, doing quick physical exams, assisting the vet on-call, etc). I think you just need to look around a bit more and see if there are any private clinics, rather than shelters, that will allow you to shadow/volunteer.

Sure, I'm in the south bay. I've tried a couple of other clinics, and I volunteer at the SF SPCA -- that's the one that no longer lets volunteers shadow/work with the vets :(

So I'm also in the South bay.. feel free to PM me if you want info about the shelter I volunteered at. Good luck!

I would take the 4-5 hour shadow session, and see what happens when you're talking to the vets. .

Thanks, I did take them up on the one-time shadow session :) I actually asked them to schedule me for as much time as they could, and they booked a full day instead of the half day. Hooray! Hopefully I'll be able to finagle some follow up visits or something similar.

I haven't looked into kennel assistant positions; thanks for the tip!

I also have gotten all of my experience in CA. I've volunteered/shadowed directly with both the vet and RVT at my local shelter for 2+ years. I've also shadowed at a private practices in Norcal (sac, lodi, roseville, etc) and have never heard of this law. A lot will say "no" because of liability issues but you just gotta keep looking. I looked at well over 30 practices and got 1 yes last winter. It's frustrating, but eventually once you get your foot in the door it will lead to numerous other opportunities. Even if it's just a kennel tech pickin up poop. That's how I started! :D
Good luck!

To me at least, there is a difference between "shadowing" and "volunteering", and I wonder if there may be some confusion between the two.

To me, "shadowing" means that you will be completely hands off. You will simply follow, observe, and talk, but not handle any animals or do any work. This means that you are not likely to get injured, and liability is far lower.

"Volunteering" means that you are doing assistant/tech work, but for free. You are at risk of injury, but since you're not on the payroll, there is no worker's comp in place. This is a huge liability.

The clinic that you quoted says that they do not allow volunteering, except for students. This is because the liability is different for them (falls on the school most likely).
If you search enough, you may find a clinic that will accept the liability of a volunteer, but they are rare. Nobody wants to be sued for millions.
Chances are that you will either be stuck with shadowing, find a place that will accept volunteers, or find a paid position. Shadowing may be a good step toward getting paid positions, so don't discount it.

I haven't heard of any law, but a clinic that accepts volunteers is taking responsibility for your actions and your health.

Try Peninsula Humane Society. I volunteered for their vet services department starting when I was like 17. Unless they've changed anything, they let you do anything you're allowed to do. I learned a majority of my tech skills while volunteering there. They were very much willing to teach as long as you're dedicated and helpful.

Nonprofits are allowed to use volunteers. The difference with for profit clinics is that labor laws don't allow them to abuse "free labor" by utilizing volunteers for any task that paid staff normally performs.

I think it's a liability for a lot of private clinics to allow inexperienced people to work there. When I got my first shadowing position at 15 I (and my parents) signed a waiver that the clinic wasn't legally responsible for me. Try offering to sign something like that?

Last edited:
The difference with for profit clinics is that labor laws don't allow them to abuse "free labor" by utilizing volunteers for any task that paid staff normally performs.

...that totally makes sense; I can't believe I didn't realize that was what they were probably talking about at the for-profit clinic.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'll keep on nudging until I get in the door somewhere :)

FutureVet123 said:
When I got my first shadowing position at 15 I (and my parents) signed a waiver that the clinic wasn't legally responsible for me. Try offering to sign something like that?

Good idea! I did that when I finally found a clinic that would allow volunteering, and the signed agreement also said that I would not touch any clients' animals (clinic cats were okay :)). If a clinic is really nervous about allowing shadows, you could offer to sign something like that as well.

AFAIK, HSSV in Milpitas will allow you to work in their spay/neuter clinic, in their medical clinic, and with their in-house patients. I got all of my small animal hours there and they were really good to me.