C in Organic Chemistry and Podiatry Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrewzville

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
n/a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. How does getting a C in Organic Chemistry look? Besides the obvious of studying and improving ..are there anything else i can do int he future?
2. If i take the MCAT in the future and perform well for podiatry schools ...like 25+ , would this supplement for the poor performance in science?
3. How do economic majors look to admissions committees?
4. I am currently shadowing a podiatric surgeon. Would this count as clinical experience?
1. Showing that you can recieve Bs in sciences i don't think another B in org is far fetched. Just buckle down a little more. It is not the end of your podiatry career. Just try your best to pull As in Org 2 and any further science classes to show you can succeed.
2. As long as you don't have an absurdly low GPA a 25+ on MCAT will show schools that you may succeed in pod-school.
3. Any major is fine as long as you do well in your science classes.
4. Yes.

1. Showing that you can recieve Bs in sciences i don't think another B in org is far fetched. Just buckle down a little more. It is not the end of your podiatry career. Just try your best to pull As in Org 2 and any further science classes to show you can succeed.
2. As long as you don't have an absurdly low GPA a 25+ on MCAT will show schools that you may succeed in pod-school.
3. Any major is fine as long as you do well in your science classes.
4. Yes.

I got a C in ochem 1 then worked hard and got an A in ochem 2. try to get an A!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a C+ in organic chem and a C+ in physics. I still got accepted to podiatry schools. as long as your science GPA is high u're good. My science GPA was a 3.4

what if your overall gpa is above a 3.4 but your science gpa isnt that great?

Well then I am sure you will be fine. I would absolutely want somebody operating on me that got a C+ in Anatomy and a B in Biochem but got A's in Intro to Greek Literature and Global Issues: 20th Century Crisis.

what if your overall gpa is above a 3.4 but your science gpa isnt that great?

define "great". If your intro bio/chem classes are lower than average but you earn As in you upper level biology and chemistry classes an adcom might overlook the intro classes/sci gpa. But if you have low grades across the board you will have to redeem yourself somehow (either high MCAT or take more upper levels and ace them).

define "great". If your intro bio/chem classes are lower than average but you earn As in you upper level biology and chemistry classes an adcom might overlook the intro classes/sci gpa.

this is true. I had B's in organic I and II and Bio I and II but A+ in anatomy and A's in biochem and physiology and nobody said anything about my grades, with a 3.5 science GPA.

Thanks for the insight guys.

My current non-science gpa is a 3.54 and my science is currently 3.2. ( I am a sophomore.) My only fear is getting a low science gpa and adcoms looking down on it. However, what contitutes a "pre-pod" science gpa? Is Calculus included?

the gpa is figured out by taking all of the sciences classes you took. So it is General Chemistry I/II, Physics I/II, General Biology I/II, and Orgo I/II. Also, any other additional classes that related to the science major that you think would be beneficial towards pod, like anatomy, physiology, biochem, histology, genetics, immunology, classes like that, which are also factored towards the science gpa. Calculus is not factored in the application science gpa for podiatry, but may be factored in your major science gpa at nyu.

Thanks for the insight guys.

My current non-science gpa is a 3.54 and my science is currently 3.2. ( I am a sophomore.) My only fear is getting a low science gpa and adcoms looking down on it. However, what contitutes a "pre-pod" science gpa? Is Calculus included?

AS long as your GPAs are somewhere around 3.0 and you have at least a 20MCAT with no lower than a C in the science pre-reqs, and you apply broadly, you're in somewhere baby (Pending you apply early of course)

AS long as your GPAs are somewhere around 3.0 and you have at least a 20MCAT with no lower than a C in the science pre-reqs, and you apply broadly, you're in somewhere baby (Pending you apply early of course)

yeah, this is a great idea. aim low. Aim for the lower 25 percent of gpas and admission test scores. exactly who podiatry needs.

yeah, this is a great idea. aim low. Aim for the lower 25 percent of gpas and admission test scores. exactly who podiatry needs.

They might get in but they fail out pretty quickly

thanks for the advice everyone. Im going to study for a whole summer and aim for a 30+ on the MCAT.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice everyone. Im going to study for a whole summer and aim for a 30+ on the MCAT. However, can one still apply if he/she has a C- in one science course but Bs and As on the rest? This is rare, but is it possible to still score an interview?

at OCPM you need a C or above in each premed course to matriculate. you may get an interview and a conditional acceptance (conditional as in an acceptance with the stipulation that you get a higher grade in the course)-- like contacting the professor that you took the course with and the dean of academics in order to drop the grade to a D or F (whatever your school considers repeatable) and then repeat it.

you can call each pod school and ask the admissions dept their specific requirements

I remember thinking what you are thinking right now. I got so caught up in worrying about the admission process and getting good grades. The problem that I had was spending too much time thinking about getting better grades and not actually studying. My advice...stop worrying! Make a study schedule and stick to it. Stop worrying about admissions and do everything that you can that YOU have power over...i.e. learning the material (getting good grades). Can you get into podiatry school with a few low grades? Yes. I did. How am I doing in my first year of POD school? Great! Stop worrying, looking at SDN every few hours and manage your time. It is finals week right now and my wife took the car with my backpack in it, so I had some downtime to SDN-it-up. Good luck with studying. Just remember, there is no more Ochem in POD school. Well not that much. It was my least favorite class and my lowest grades.

Don't worry to much about it. I got C twice in Orgo I, B- in Orgo II. I had to take Orgo I the third time to get the A. If you are weak in that subject just study a bit harder. Try to get A or B on higher Bio coures to look good on your application though. You are on the right track. Aim high for MCAT but don't be suprised if you get below 28 or so. This just base on my own experiences. I only interviewed once and got in the school I want so good luck. :thumbup:

Is there anywhere in my reply that I told the OP to aim for the min scores? Admission is like a bell curve. You need to be aware of the mean values and also the abnormal high and abnormal low. As long as he is aware of the lows, he knows the limits before the dream of podiatry starts to get into trouble. To broadcast that you need a >3.5 GPA and >30 MCAT is a flat lie. Maybe in 10-15 yrs, but not on this admission cycle.