"Business Class" vs. "Retail Class" tablets/laptops?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JSpitz

Illinois CVM c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would have posted this in the "Tech" subforum, but its way too quiet there.

So, at the Illinois student store, the sales guy tells me that they sell the business class HP laptops, which uses components that are more robust and long lasting than retail class (the ones you buy at the store...i forgot to ask if hp.com is retail class too).

Is the "more robust and long lasting" statement true? I have some knowledge of computers (as in I know how to buy and upgrade my RAM/hard drive/video card :laugh::laugh:) and this sounds suspicious to me. I shop for PC components from newegg, tigerdirect, frys, and what have you, and they never have components (or whole laptops) labeled business or retail class. Unless PC components sold as individual products are all considered business class.

I think I need to make some IT friends.

Members don't see this ad.

I have never heard of business class vs. retail class. I don't know much about computers, though.

I technically own a business class Lenovo b/c I was using a friend's employee discount and it was good for this particular product. I heard good things about it, but my computer has been less than robust. It is still under warranty so I should send it in... but I hate dealing with tech support. They speak terrible English and make me feel stupid when I don't understand everything :(. The laptop has great features though... so I may actually end up with a similar one in vet school!

ETA: Re-reading this post it sounds ridiculous that I may purchase a similar laptop in the future when this one gives me so many issues. The reason? All technology hates me. The garage door sticks halfway down, the netflix won't connect to our TV, and the wireless internet go down when I come home. Coincidence? I think not!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
my experience with a business class lenovo has been nothing short of wonderful. i love this computer and definitely only plan on replacing it with another thinkpad someday. another friend of mine has a lenovo business class and has had few issues (fan died, however for $80 she could replace it on her own. they're super easy to open up and fix and they're designed that way).

one of my best friends has an electrical and computer engineering degree/robotics masters (think as nerdy as they come!). he's worked his thinkpad HARD over the last 4 years and it's still going strong. He's manually replaced bits and pieces as he's worn them out, but the parts are easy to obtain and relatively inexpensive.

bottom line: i love my Lenovo (business class). they may be pretty ugly, but i've done really well with them especially compared to all of my friends that have "retail" laptops.

I got my first laptop ever when I started undergrad - we were required to have an IBM laptop (it is now the Lenovo company). I was rough on that poor computer but it was still going strong 5+ years later (granted, with many many replaced parts under my 4 year warranty). I am rough on electronics.

When time for vet school came, I initially ordered the Dell tablet that was recommended. I sent it back because the TrackPoint wasn't right - I was too used to IBM. I got the Lenovo Tablet. I love it as much as my old Lenovo. IMPORTANT: I also bought the service plan!

The Lenovo computers are pretty ugly (compared to all those sleek Apples and even the Dell tablet I initially had), but they are tough. I have had several replacement parts on this one in two years (covered under my warranty/damage plan) - but then I don't always take the best care of my electronics. I don't always use the special padded bag, I don't always carry it properly, it's left on for long periods of time, etc. What I'm basically saying is that they should hire me to do crash dummy testing on laptops.

The person who wrote above is right that dealing with the phone help lines can be a bit of a hassle. I've not really had any major problems with them, but like I mentioned above I've been dealing with them for 6+ years so I'm usually pretty confident what the problem is and it gets fixed really quickly.

So, what about the consumer grade ones? Before first year started a lot of my classmates ran out and got "consumer" quality tablet computers. They got the ones that were a good deal at Best Buy at the time - the ones by HP. They were pretty looking laptops - had some swirly designs on the outside. Some got the extended warranty. At the time, the nearest Best Buy was 1 hour from our school. Pretty early into the semester those laptops started dropping like flies. They'd bring them to Best Buy - the Geek Squad had to send them directly to HP. It took 3 weeks to get them back. I think you have to have about 3 repairs before your laptop is declared a lemon and they replace it. I had about one classmate that stuck with it and eventually got her new laptop (another HP, that seems to be doing better). I think the rest finally just junked theirs ($900+) in frustration and got one of those Apple laptops. They just don't have pens and touch screens (well, one guy uses an iPad sometimes but that is different).

The HPs are way cheaper than Lenovo/Dell/Apple. But my classmates were miserable with them. I think one salesman pretty much told them up front that the way the screens are on all tablets they are really fairly fragile in design and don't hold up to the rigors of school (frequent transport, etc.) very well. Isn't that wonderful to hear - it's a shame they're so useful!

Honestly, most people don't even mess with the tablets. Most people in my class have those really slim aluminum Apple laptops now and seem to do just fine with them annotating the Powerpoints.

I just can't do the switch, though. I need Windows and I love my ugly Lenovo. Hey, there's always stickers and skins that you can use for decoration!

So, that's the end of that rather long post. In summary:
The business grade computers are more expensive but worth it in the long run if you have the cash.
Always get the damage warranty (on-site, if possible).
These tablet laptops ARE going to break, but I honestly think that the business grade ones will hold up to the abuses of school better/longer. Don't judge a laptop by its cover. ;)

Re: the business vs. retail class...

A lot has to do with build quality. For example, the Dell Inspiron (retail) has a plastic case, but the Dell Latitude (business) has a magnesium case. The difference in actual internal components is going to vary. I dunno how *much* better the business class would be, but that's what I would opt for.

I dunno if I'd choose an HP, though. Just sayin'. :hungover: