busiest EDs/trauma centers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andy Kahn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of a list of busiest Emergency Departments or Trauma Centers in the country? I have heard that USC, Cook County, Grady, and Parkland are some of the busiest ones, but is there a website that has this info?

Thanks,
ak

Members don't see this ad.

Andy Kahn said:
Anybody know of a list of busiest Emergency Departments or Trauma Centers in the country? I have heard that USC, Cook County, Grady, and Parkland are some of the busiest ones, but is there a website that has this info?

Thanks,
ak

I dunno if this is what you're looking for, but it has a list of each trauma center by type. Im trying to find annual patient volumes, but am having more trouble with that. Hope this is at least partially helpful:

http://www.facs.org/trauma/verified.html

Jackson Memorial in Miami.

Members don't see this ad :)
funny list....ohio sure has a lot of trauma centers....maryland (home of the "shock trauma unit") isn't even on the list...in fact maryland seems to be worse off than most states! (note the cavaet at the end: only trauma center that want to be listed are listed).

No trauma centers in NYC ??? :)

basementbeastie said:
funny list....ohio sure has a lot of trauma centers....maryland (home of the "shock trauma unit") isn't even on the list...in fact maryland seems to be worse off than most states! (note the cavaet at the end: only trauma center that want to be listed are listed).
No, only trauma centers that have been verified by the American College of Surgeons are listed.

Many states (e.g., Georgia) have strong EMS components that regulate trauma centers. Georgia designates its trauma centers and does not recognize ACS designations. Therefore, why would a hospital spend money to become ACS verified when only Georgia designations are recognized by EMS providers?

Georgia has 4 level I trauma centers, about 15 level II trauma centers, and who knows how many level III's.

Yeah, I agree that they may not be listed due to not being ACS accredited. However, they may also not be listed due to the caveat at the end . . . one will never know which one it is without contacting ACS or the hospital.

If anyone is looking to work at a "busy" place I suggest not just looking at raw numbers. It's the staffing that determines how busy any individual doc is at the ED.

If anyone is looking to work at a "busy" place I suggest not just looking at raw numbers. It's the staffing that determines how busy any individual doc is at the ED.

So true. 25k/yr single coverage is horrifically busy, 50k with double coverage and a swing shift is quite reasonable.

Actually St Francis in Peoria, IL is busier than cook. It is 2nd busiest in IL (90k visits/yr, Level 1, & ped ED) behind advocate christ. Busiest flight prog in the state too.

Maryland has a state wide trauma system and does not use ACS.

Many factors involved in evaluating, "busy."

As docB pointed out staffing plays a role. One doc for 10 new patients per hour is overwhelmingly busy. 7 docs for 10 new patients per hour not so much.

Boarding and diversion plays in as well. If you have tons of boarding patients you may be busy but not necessarily busy making emergent decisions. Also, the amount of time spent on diversion will play a role in how often the critically ill patients can get to you (not that they never come from the waiting room, but certainly a greater frequency from EMS).

Ancillary support can shape your sensation of busy. If you have to draw the blood yourself and label everything and run the samples to the lab and transport the patient, well three patients per hour may keep you overwhelmed an entire shift. Whereas, if you have support for all those tasks but have 6 new patients per hour may result in the same sense of being overwhelmed but result in different experience altogether.

The admission process shapes your perception of busy. The more convoluted the processes within your hospital (more phone calls, more hassles, more delays) can result in more busy work for you and a sensation of being busy even with fewer patients.

The EMR will impact you in much the same way

The complexity of your patients factors in as well. we can see 20 ankle sprains per hour in healthy individuals, but 20 people with chest pain, dyspnea, and abdominal pain in patients with numerous cancers, heart diseases, medications, and exposures is much more difficult.

I'm sure these things are obvious but I thought I would mention them anyway...

I'd also agree "busy" can mean a variety of different things. A county facility that sees >100K patients, but mostly sprained ankles and sore throats might be the "busiest" on sheer numbers alone.

I trained at Memorial-Hermann Hospital in Houston (UT-Houston) and though the volume is more like 50-60K, it has the busiest medical heliport in the world (the only trauma facility in Houston capable of receiving level 1 patients by helicopter), and thus receives an extraordinarily high acuity of trauma patients. They've intermittently advertised themselves as the "busiest trauma facility in the country", a figure which I think comes from entries submitted to the National Trauma Databank, an arm of ACS.

You see an old thread. I see evidence that people are using the search function.

That's one of the most optimistic statements ever made on this board.

And I just wrote down research of busiest trauma centers off of a 9 yo thread..
Didn't realize that till EM Junkie pointed that out. Haha!
Thanks btw :)