Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My bad I'll change my profile pic to a tiger to look more tough

This forum is not for people interested in trolling! go somewhere else.. and you can change your photo to whatever you like, you are still a Marsh-mellow... lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1) Rocky Vista is also for-profit. BCOM is going this route because they were able to get the med school built faster versus waiting 10 years to do so. With the shortage of doctors in NM and many retiring in the upcoming years, it made sense to go this route. The MD school has a cap of 80 a year or something which doesn't produce enough to replace retiring doctors.
2) The first 4 classes will be ~150-160. They won't increase their class size to 300 until 2028. That's over 10 years from now. I think it all depends on the board performance of the students from the first couple of classes. Personally, if the board performance of BCOM's students can be higher than the national average, I really do not care that they increase it to 300 without jeopardizing the classroom experience. I don't think it will be very similar to the caribbean schools because the number of applicants increase every year so they won't be accepting just anybody. Cap of 300 10 years from now doesn't sound too bad as long as they can prep the students for the boards well. That's just me. I'm sure others will have a different opinion.

No, this is not the reason at all as to why having such a high number is bad. Every medical school in the country could entertain 300 or more students, the problem is not pre-clinical but clinical. You wouldn't have enough rotations to over see that many people while maintaining a high quality of clinical education. This is why class sizes are capped, and in all seriousness the 162 number is too high. Next to boards, your clinical grades are given the next greatest weight, which is why your education should be excellent during 3rd year. Be careful not to ignore clinical education because this where you get your first real taste of medicine and can make or break you for residency.

No, this is not the reason at all as to why having such a high number is bad. Every medical school in the country could entertain 300 or more students, the problem is not pre-clinical but clinical. You wouldn't have enough rotations to over see that many people while maintaining a high quality of clinical education. This is why class sizes are capped, and in all seriousness the 162 number is too high. Next to boards, your clinical grades are given the next greatest weight, which is why your education should be excellent during 3rd year. Be careful not to ignore clinical education because this where you get your first real taste of medicine and can make or break you for residency.

Good point. Saw your posts from earlier this year about choosing bcom, were you worried about this at all? Do you think the first few classes have to worry about rotation sites being an issue? While 162 is not low, I don't think it's an unreasonable number either considering they have sites in several areas. 4th year is an audition deal so if you put up with the hassle, you can go anywhere which maybe the oos students will do to be closer to where they're from.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone accepted to BCOM as well as to other schools, but haven't decided which school they're going to attend yet?

Good point. Saw your posts from earlier this year about choosing bcom, were you worried about this at all? Do you think the first few classes have to worry about rotation sites being an issue? While 162 is not low, I don't think it's an unreasonable number either considering they have sites in several areas. 4th year is an audition deal so if you put up with the hassle, you can go anywhere which maybe the oos students will do to be closer to where they're from.

I didn't choose this school, but I did interview here. However, from what I have seen rotations will not be too much of a problem. For one, BCOM is the only school in the town and the other sites seem close to the school. I think it will only be an issue when rotating in Albuquerque, since UNM is there. Plus I have checked the rotations in the Lovelace hospitals at the time (it didn't seem to have GME, meaning it didn't have a hospital residencies). The school has to make sure it has this in place because with the new COCA requirements state at least 1 rotation has to be with residents. This is why it is easier to manage smaller class sizes, because you have keep a greater amount of students closer to the school. This will ensure they get the rotations they need to meet their requirements. Schools with really large class sizes have make students travel to other states in the past (meaning they would be in one state and move to another for one rotation) because they were dropped from their originally planned rotation. So this is why I say it is a concern.

I didn't choose this school, but I did interview here. However, from what I have seen rotations will not be too much of a problem. For one, BCOM is the only school in the town and the other sites seem close to the school. I think it will only be an issue when rotating in Albuquerque, since UNM is there. Plus I have checked the rotations in the Lovelace hospitals at the time (it didn't seem to have GME, meaning it didn't have a hospital residencies). The school has to make sure it has this in place because with the new COCA requirements state at least 1 rotation has to be with residents. This is why it is easier to manage smaller class sizes, because you have keep a greater amount of students closer to the school. This will ensure they get the rotations they need to meet their requirements. Schools with really large class sizes have make students travel to other states in the past (meaning they would be in one state and move to another for one rotation) because they were dropped from their originally planned rotation. So this is why I say it is a concern.
I am from VA. For example, VCU which is a fantastic school has rotations even 150 miles away. Does not seem to be an issue

I am from VA. For example, VCU which is a fantastic school has rotations even 150 miles away. Does not seem to be an issue

In a different state or same state? Are there competing schools in the area? This are two things to consider when looking at whether the school has a strong hold. BCOM has a stronghold in Las Cruces because it is the local school, if there was another school in another state they would get turned down for rotations in Las Cruces because BCOM is centered in that location. I'll give an example, LMU and KYCOM had some of its rotations in Alabama. However, once ACOM came into the picture, they lost all those rotations. It's because these were schools in different states and ACOM was the local school. Thus, there is a turf war for rotations and its important to strategically locate a school and to keep the right amount of students.

This is not to say that all schools have had issues. There are some schools with 200 or so students are doing fine. However, dropped rotations has happened to schools in the past and this is before the recent GME requirement. Several students have reported having rotations dropped and having to travel to another area for rotations. Now with the GME requirement (1 rotations with residents), there maybe more students who need to relocate because they are in a site without residents. I think BCOM will manage somehow, but may have issues with rotations with residents in Albuquerque, and most likely the lion share of rotations with residents will go to UNM (since all residencies are under UNM). If they can create residencies in Albuquerque, they could definitely meet the new requirement (if COCA follows through with it that is).

Members don't see this ad :)
In a different state or same state? Are there competing schools in the area? This are two things to consider when looking at whether the school has a strong hold. BCOM has a stronghold in Las Cruces because it is the local school, if there was another school in another state they would get turned down for rotations in Las Cruces because BCOM is centered in that location. I'll give an example, LMU and KYCOM had some of its rotations in Alabama. However, once ACOM came into the picture, they lost all those rotations. It's because these were schools in different states and ACOM was the local school. Thus, there is a turf war for rotations and its important to strategically locate a school and to keep the right amount of students.

This is not to say that all schools have had issues. There are some schools with 200 or so students are doing fine. However, dropped rotations has happened to schools in the past and this is before the recent GME requirement. Several students have reported having rotations dropped and having to travel to another area for rotations. Now with the GME requirement (1 rotations with residents), there maybe more students who need to relocate because they are in a site without residents. I think BCOM will manage somehow, but may have issues with rotations with residents in Albuquerque, and most likely the lion share of rotations with residents will go to UNM (since all residencies are under UNM). If they can create residencies in Albuquerque, they could definitely meet the new requirement (if COCA follows through with it that is).

I'm beginning to wonder if bcom does end up with 300 students, they may even start doing rotations in community health centers or small clinics/community hospitals.

I'm beginning to wonder if bcom does end up with 300 students, they may even start doing rotations in community health centers or small clinics/community hospitals.

They will probably try to find rotations in other states, but I could definitely see what you say as a possibility. I think it would be much better if they kept their class size to what they have until decades later. Then they could expand a little bit more. However, I think 300 is too excessive.

The other thing I noticed was the study space limitations. If BCOM does expand, wont that put a huge stress on the already limited space? On the interview, it seemed like most spaces were being used, and that was only with one year of students. Thoughts?

The other thing I noticed was the study space limitations. If BCOM does expand, wont that put a huge stress on the already limited space? On the interview, it seemed like most spaces were being used, and that was only with one year of students. Thoughts?
There's no doubt they're going to keep throwing on new buildings. In fact, that's what I heard when I was interviewing. They have to anyway as their class size gets larger

Yep, future buildings will be coming. In fact, apparently, within the past few months, they've expanded the parking lot around BCOM. So that's a start lol.

Guys if anyone is looking for a roommate please message me (preferably male). I'm looking to get a 2 bedroom place at Casas de Soledad or Cooperstone Apartments. Let me know!

Who makes the decisions? I know the adcom, but does anyone know who the person/ people is/are specifically?

Who makes the decisions? I know the adcom, but does anyone know who the person/ people is/are specifically?

Adrian and Tania talk to the interviewers at lunch during interview day and get the feedback. Then they make the decision. The interviewers give a vote for if you should be accepted or not.

If you're talking about who to pull off the waitlist, you are assigned a score based on your mcat, sgpa and interview score and then are placed on a list. They pull people off in order.

Reactions: 1 users
So if someone gets deffered acceptance does that mean they pretty much got in this year since so many people drop?

So if someone gets deffered acceptance does that mean they pretty much got in this year since so many people drop?
Yeah that's basically the idea. It of course depends how many drop, but deferred acceptance is more likely than not an acceptance for this year.

Off topic question from what everyone else has going on here but --

I'm setting up appointments to get my vaccinations before starting at BCOM. Is it recommended that my spouse get these vaccinations as well?

Thanks!

Off topic question from what everyone else has going on here but --

I'm setting up appointments to get my vaccinations before starting at BCOM. Is it recommended that my spouse get these vaccinations as well?

Thanks!
What vaccinations are you talking about? I thought the form only asks for your immunization.

Hey guys, I have my interview on 2/24 and was wondering if anybody could PM me any tips/advice for interview. It would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Also, I land in El Paso tomorrow at 9pm and have a car rental, if anybody needs a ride to Las Cruces.

They will probably try to find rotations in other states, but I could definitely see what you say as a possibility. I think it would be much better if they kept their class size to what they have until decades later. Then they could expand a little bit more. However, I think 300 is too excessive.
Out of curiosity where does everyone keep seeing this class increase to 300?

Out of curiosity where does everyone keep seeing this class increase to 300?
They told us at our interview and it's on their website I'm pretty sure, I don't know about everyone else.

Last edited:
According to the feasibility study, they would not graduate 300/year until 2032 (if it even gets approved to graduate that many).

By the 2030's, who knows if coca will even be around? I imagine that if/when lcme takes over osteopathic medical education, they won't let any MD/DO school get up to 300 unless they can adequately sustain it.

Anyways, I'm super pumped to start school at BCOM!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Read the DO School Feasibility Report on their website. 300 by 2028 to address issues with physicians who will be retiring in NM in the next decade

They better build more building if they want classes that big. Their current building is gorgeous but seemed like it would get cramped!

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone accepted to BCOM as well as to other schools, but haven't decided which school they're going to attend yet?

OMG YES. It's either here or Kirksville. Can't make up my mind. I'm going to do a Pro/Con list. Also, the acceptance to Kirksville is for Class of 2022, not Class of 2021... so, you know... that's something to think about.

OMG YES. It's either here or Kirksville. Can't make up my mind. I'm going to do a Pro/Con list. Also, the acceptance to Kirksville is for Class of 2022, not Class of 2021... so, you know... that's something to think about.
Oh! So would you start this fall, like is it a 5 year program or more of a deferred acceptance for starting 2018? Why do you think you would choose Kirksville/BCOM, just out of curiosity? :)

Oh! So would you start this fall, like is it a 5 year program or more of a deferred acceptance for starting 2018? Why do you think you would choose Kirksville/BCOM, just out of curiosity? :)

Kirksville is hands down the better school. It's the founding DO school and very highly viewed by PDs of residencies in a number of places. Take the year off over starting at BCOM.

Reactions: 2 users

I would attend BCOM this year over waiting on KCOM. A year of physician salary lost (200K+) is nothing to sneeze at. At the end of day, DO school reputation doesn't really help residency apps since to the average PD, a DO school is a DO school is a DO school.

Nothing wrong w a year off before going to Kirksville. I'd probably do that if I were in your shoes TBH

Thank you so much, guys, for giving me your two cents.. it's certainly been tough since I graduated in '15 and am anxious to start med school. However, it is better to be slow and right than fast and wrong! I do agree Kirksville is very highly viewed and usually puts out a very impressive match list each year... not to say BCOM won't! It's just, I'm not much of a gambler lol. However, I do think BCOM's mission is very synonymous with my own personal mission in terms of serving the border region and underserved populations, using Spanish in my daily practice, things like that. Not to mention BCOM is a GORGEOUS school. I also like how research is mandatory and is a very important part of the curriculum at BCOM. So, I don't know... you win some, you lose some. At the end of the day though, I might end up going to Kirksville.

Also, I'll throw in there that when I was at KCOM, I was giving myself a tour of the school and ended up talking to a recent grad who was super chill and matched into derm. That gave me a huge sigh of relief knowing that they were getting students into some awesome residencies.

Thank you so much, guys, for giving me your two cents.. it's certainly been tough since I graduated in '15 and am anxious to start med school. However, it is better to be slow and right than fast and wrong! I do agree Kirksville is very highly viewed and usually puts out a very impressive match list each year... not to say BCOM won't! It's just, I'm not much of a gambler lol. However, I do think BCOM's mission is very synonymous with my own personal mission in terms of serving the border region and underserved populations, using Spanish in my daily practice, things like that. Not to mention BCOM is a GORGEOUS school. I also like how research is mandatory and is a very important part of the curriculum at BCOM. So, I don't know... you win some, you lose some. At the end of the day though, I might end up going to Kirksville.

Also, I'll throw in there that when I was at KCOM, I was giving myself a tour of the school and ended up talking to a recent grad who was super chill and matched into derm. That gave me a huge sigh of relief knowing that they were getting students into some awesome residencies.
You'll do great wherever you end up!

Kirksville is hands down the better school. It's the founding DO school and very highly viewed by PDs of residencies in a number of places. Take the year off over starting at BCOM.
That is definitely understandable! It's always nice to have the comfort of having an established school, and the year off is a nice bonus before the crazy medical school years! I'm sure you'll do great wherever you choose to go!

From my understanding, we will not be eligible for federal loans until next year. So, that would require us to get a private loan through Wells Fargo (or whoever else gives them out). So my question is when does the interest start for these private loans. I heard that for federal loans the interest doesn't start until residency but I'm worried that the private loan interest starts right away!!

From my understanding, we will not be eligible for federal loans until next year. So, that would require us to get a private loan through Wells Fargo (or whoever else gives them out). So my question is when does the interest start for these private loans. I heard that for federal loans the interest doesn't start until residency but I'm worried that the private loan interest starts right away!!

I haven't shopped around yet but i've been told it starts right away.

Thank you! :D
Obviously I'm biased, but I will tell you that you could go to Kirksville and NOT match into an impressive residency. The reality is that the majority of your residency placement has nothing to do with where you went to medical school and everything to do with your performance on boards.

Performance on boards...thats largely up to YOU as a student. You put the work in, and you see the results. The reality is that physiology works the same way at BCOM as it does at Kirksville, and there are only so many ways to teach the same processes. Your career as a physician will be reflective of you, not where you went to school.

Also, make sure you really think about WHO you want to be around, and WHERE you want to spend the next couple of years. When I started looking at those variables it made my decision process a LOT easier. That's something that students tend to forget about when they're applying, but the culture and environment make a huge difference. This is especially true when things are rough. The BCOM faculty is over the top friendly and receptive to student feedback, that's not a show.

Reactions: 2 users
Obviously I'm biased, but I will tell you that you could go to Kirksville and NOT match into an impressive residency. The reality is that the majority of your residency placement has nothing to do with where you went to medical school and everything to do with your performance on boards.

Performance on boards...thats largely up to YOU as a student. You put the work in, and you see the results. The reality is that physiology works the same way at BCOM as it does at Kirksville, and there are only so many ways to teach the same processes. Your career as a physician will be reflective of you, not where you went to school.

Also, make sure you really think about WHO you want to be around, and WHERE you want to spend the next couple of years. When I started looking at those variables it made my decision process a LOT easier. That's something that students tend to forget about when they're applying, but the culture and environment make a huge difference. This is especially true when things are rough. The BCOM faculty is over the top friendly and receptive to student feedback, that's not a show.

I'm right there with you. The environment around any medical school is a huge factor. I am from California and I don't think I could ever mesh well with the Midwest and the rural areas there. The location and surroundings of Las Cruces are very serene and peaceful and it made my personal decision of BCOM vs CUSOM much easier to make.

USMLE/COMLEX content is all standardized so the same person could go to BCOM and do just as well as if he/she had gone to KCOM a year later.

The only problem is that we are still 4+ months away from starting class. I'm getting bored of waiting haha